Sign in to follow this  
rallo

Mid-Late WR selections

We all know how vital drafting is... not only to stock your starting lineup, but also to shore up your depth and use for trade bait later. Who are some guys you are eyeing mid to later in the draft? Here are a few guys that i'm keying on.

Vincet Brown WR SD ADP 10.11

He had his 2012 campaign derailed by an ankle injury, but he is all healed up and ready to take the field. It looks as though he is the #3WR on the depth chart as of now, but i see him moving up very quickly during training camp. I don't think that DX can stay on the field this year, and Gates is oft injured/ used as a decoy recently. I wouldn't be surprised to see Brown step into a leading role mid-season, and as a 10/11th round pick... he's easily worth the risk. He also has the beneift of going up against KC, Oak, and Den twice... he will definitely be on my draft board

Cecil Shorts III ADP 7.10

Cecil will be training with Larry Fitzgerald this offseason, who is known for being akin to Jerry Rice with his work ethic, so look for him to be in the best shape of his life and ready to play. He was a huge surprise last year, and really seemed to connect with Henne while he was at the helm. I know it is still early in camp, but look for Henne to get the nod, and he and Shorts to pick up where they left off last year. Add to the equation that Blackmon will miss the first 4 games of the regular season, and Shorts should be primed and ready for another breakout season... i hope Jax has their checkbook ready...

Julian Edelman ADP 14.07

Edelman battled multiple injuries last year, but was an explosive threat when deployed. Tom Brady is watching his entire receieving corps diminish. Welker left town, Gronk having multiple surgeries, Hernandez possibly arrested... what's left is Amendola and Edelman... Amendola is a great player, but it will take some time to learn the playbook and build some chemistry with Brady... i think Edelman is a bargain... especially if your league rewards you for KR/PR... Sources say that he is still in a walking boot, so use some caution here, but heck... it's only a 14th rounder

Jeremy Maclin ADP 9.02

He is in the final year of his contract, and understand that how he plays will affect future paychecks. I also forsee an uptempo offense under Kelly, and look for them to exploit some matchups when he and Jackson are both healthy. I really like how he bounced back from injury last year, catching 3 TDs in his last 4 games... look for him to be hungry this year

Other mid/late i like at the price

Jacoby Jones ADP 12.11

Ryan Broyles ADP 12.11

Mohammed Sanu ADP 13.10

Miles Austin ADP 8.06

Not a fan of Edelman or Jones, but I agree with everyone else on your list. Be aware though, that in a recent dynasty startup Maclin went at 7.03, Shorts at 7.04, and Brown at 9.02 so Maclin and Brown are going two rounds earlier.

Nice list rallo. We'll have a very similar article coming in July. I'll be interested to see how many players you and Damon have in common as mid-round WR targets

I'll throw out Mike Williams.

Finished last year as a mid-#2 WR, being drafted as a #4 WR this year.

:thumbsup:

I'll throw out Mike Williams.

Finished last year as a mid-#2 WR, being drafted as a #4 WR this year.

Meh, he is ok with a mediocre at best QB. Decent garbage time numbers sometimes, sure, consistent, hell no.

First look at the rankings says Larry Fitzgerald and Justin Blackmon are ranked too low. I have to think that you can probably get Blackmon as your 4th wide, so the suspension won't impact you at all and that's some nice upside to have in that spot. I also like Aaron Dobson as a sleeper.

First look at the rankings says Larry Fitzgerald and Justin Blackmon are ranked too low. I have to think that you can probably get Blackmon as your 4th wide, so the suspension won't impact you at all and that's some nice upside to have in that spot. I also like Aaron Dobson as a sleeper.

This... i am a big 'quality of games' fan... and suspensions are perfect, with injuries you are worried with how a player will come back (if he does at all... see vincent brown last year) He and Henne showed some chemistry last year... If i can't get shorts i will deifinitely be looking for blackmon later :thumbsup:

Danario Alexander

TY Hilton

Justin Blackmon

Kenny Britt

Michael Crabtree??? depending on whether you have enough bench players to stash him

i like de jackson and also j gordan even through he will miss first four ..

and this jeffery with the bears also

Fock no.

Depending on league size, IR, and depth of bench why not take a flyer on him? It may be a bit early to tell but players are coming back from injuries much faster than they used too. The guy was a WR1 last year with some monster games. I don't mind drafting him and stashing him on my IR with the chance of him coming back and producing. Worst case you dump him if someone on your team gets injured.

I'll jump on the Josh Gordon bandwagon. Even with the missed games. Also, I think Hartline could be a guy to look at in the late rounds this year. Eclipsed 1000 yds on 74 rec last year. Only 1TD, though. Wallace coming in could give him more redzone looks. They also get to play the AFCE & NFCS secondaries.... so I can see some successes sprinkled in there.

another guy i will be taking a serious look at would be riley cooper (especially in the deep leagues), I seem to remember Foles locking onto him in certain games, and it appears that Foles is getting some consideration for the starting nod. That puts Cooper at a Boom or Bust status for me. First you have the oft-injured maclin mixed in with DJAX who can never keep his mouth closed... I wouldn't mind having a guy like cooper for my WR5 with huge upside... especially at the price

Darrius Heyward-Bey can be nice late round flier this year. He finally gets a competent QB on a competent offense with a competent OC. Needs to stay healthy, though.

So many late round WRs to gamble on, and yet, I find myself cringing each time I draft one in a mock. It seems that I look at a mock and say Whoa! You got that player in the third and that in the fourth and that in the fifth?? Man I am going to draft a team that well with that value.

Then I start drafting and by the end of the second round I am thinking "Where did all the good players go? It's a focking crap shoot from here on. Damnit"