Sign in to follow this  
Giants' Nicks = Plax who?

Things I hate about the new NFL

The previous play is under review - It seems like every crucial play gets reviewed which takes away from the flow of the game. Part of me longs for the days of no replay.

Touchbacks on most kickoffs -remember how exciting a kickoff return for a TD was? Or a big kickoff return to set-up a score? They happen after the other team scores, or at the beginning of the game or the half. Now 90% of kickoffs are touchbacks.

Illegal contact, defensive holding, pass interference - seems to be called 5-10 times a game. After every good play by a defensive back, you have to hold your breath for a few seconds to see if that yellow flag comes out.

Defenseless Receivers, leading with the crown of your helmet, and roughing the passer. I grew up with LT and Ronnie Lott. How would these guys fare in today's NFL? The first two terms were not even in the NFL until a few years ago, and the roughing the passer penalty very rarely happened. I wonder how much Jim Burt would have been fined for hitting Montana in that playoff game? It was a legitimate hit back then, now it is a fine and/or suspension.

I understand that player safety has taken on a whole new light. But because of this, I think that I am starting to like baseball more. I just hope that they don't one day replay everything like the NFL before making a judgement call.

so there's not enough violence in football for you, so you're liking the biggest contact-free, non-athletic nancy sport on television more and more?

"but...but...sometimes the catcher blocks the plate!"

The NFL has started becoming more of a, for lack of a better term, "sissy league". True these guys go out there and get hit all and yadda yadda yadda. But it seems if anyone gets hit "too hard" they are penalized for it. There is a big difference in just hitting a QB or WR when they are defenseless and no where around the ball. But when you start throwing penalties for someone getting plowed going after the ball or the QB running and deciding to slide at the last second then you are just hurting the game itself

I'm pretty much with you on all of that, especially the constant replay reviews of non-critical plays and DBs not being allowed to breath on receivers anymore (might as well throw out the NFL passing record book).

I would also throw in the idiotic "control the ball all the way to the ground" rule for receivers making a catch- the dumbest single rule change in a long time.

However, regarding the hitting and player safety, those rules were inevitable and you can expect to see more of it. Medical science is just beginning to understand the devastating effects of repetitive brain injuries. The holocaust of retired players dealing with severe disabilities - not to mention the suicides - is a disgrace to the league.

so there's not enough violence in football for you, so you're liking the biggest contact-free, non-athletic nancy sport on television more and more?

"but...but...sometimes the catcher blocks the plate!"

It's not the violence, it's everything that I mentioned, the constant replays and too many flags especially. Everything gets reviewed now - every turnover or scoring play gets reviewed, plus coaches challenges, etc. How is it exciting watching a play over and over again on replay, to try to find out if the call is legitimate? It is rare that you have a clear cut play anymore where you get excited about it right away, and you don't have to wait 5 minutes to see if it stands.

Also injury time outs. Especially if a team is driving down the field in the hurry up offense and a player goes down with an "injury". I swear there are at least 5 injury time outs a game if not more because a player fakes an injury to stop the opposing team's drive

I agree with all of that except the roughing the passer, crown of the helmet etc. rules. I think the rules are intended to protect players and are generally good, they're just inconsistently applied so now it seems like you get a flag if the receiver gets hurt regardless of either it was a clean hit.

Good rules - bad refs.

The things you didn't mention that I hate:

Thursday / Saturday games. I was fine with a handful of Thursday night games before but by the end of the year now there's football on 4/7 days per week. Half of it is unwatchable without NFL network and it dilutes the product and makes Sunday less special.

Overseas games - terrible. I get that they're trying to increase the league's appeal outside the US but forcing a team to play a "home game" in London or Mexico City is retarded. Do this sheet in the preseason. I make an exception for the Bills and Toronto.

Too many preseason games. Cut to 2. They are unwatchable and worthless. And while I'm at it don't even consider an 18-game schedule, just awful.

I like the increase in touchbacks. Call me a non-purist, but I always feels cheated when games are won/lost by kickoff or punt return for a TD.

The only problem I have with replays are the length of time it takes. The process can be expedited.

The biggest problem with the NFL is the amount of commercials. That'll only get worse, though.

I like the increase in touchbacks. Call me a non-purist, but I always feels cheated when games are won/lost by kickoff or punt return for a TD.

The only problem I have with replays are the length of time it takes. The process can be expedited.

The biggest problem with the NFL is the amount of commercials. That'll only get worse, though.

Don't need to tell us Giants fans about losing a game on a punt return. I shudder at the memory of DeSean Jackson taking it to the house!

The things you didn't mention that I hate:

Thursday / Saturday games. I was fine with a handful of Thursday night games before but by the end of the year now there's football on 4/7 days per week. Half of it is unwatchable without NFL network and it dilutes the product and makes Sunday less special.

I disagree, this I love. Saturdays don't come into play until really late in the season when College Football is over, so that's perfectly fine. And Thursday nights for football are great. Just a little teaser to get you ready for Sunday.

The previous play is under review - It seems like every crucial play gets reviewed which takes away from the flow of the game. Part of me longs for the days of no replay.

Id rather them get it right, especially if its my fantasy player.

Touchbacks on most kickoffs -remember how exciting a kickoff return for a TD was? Or a big kickoff return to set-up a score? They happen after the other team scores, or at the beginning of the game or the half. Now 90% of kickoffs are touchbacks.

They want this to prevent injury. Its better for the game long term.

Illegal contact, defensive holding, pass interference - seems to be called 5-10 times a game. After every good play by a defensive back, you have to hold your breath for a few seconds to see if that yellow flag comes out.

I agree, they need to get a Let them play attitude and secretly decide wich calls they are going to make. Too many ticky tack calls.

Defenseless Receivers, leading with the crown of your helmet, and roughing the passer. I grew up with LT and Ronnie Lott. How would these guys fare in today's NFL? The first two terms were not even in the NFL until a few years ago, and the roughing the passer penalty very rarely happened. I wonder how much Jim Burt would have been fined for hitting Montana in that playoff game? It was a legitimate hit back then, now it is a fine and/or suspension.

I understand that player safety has taken on a whole new light. But because of this, I think that I am starting to like baseball more. I just hope that they don't one day replay everything like the NFL before making a judgement call.

Sure, im all for more violence. But baseball is unwatchable.

I disagree, this I love. Saturdays don't come into play until really late in the season when College Football is over, so that's perfectly fine. And Thursday nights for football are great. Just a little teaser to get you ready for Sunday.

Will you still like it when there's football every dy of the week and marque games are available only on the NFL network? Cause that where we are headed.

Will you still like it when there's football every dy of the week and marque games are available only on the NFL network? Cause that where we are headed.

This is probably not logistically possible but I see what you're trying to say

The NFL has always respected Fridays for high school and Saturdays for college. That could change someday, but I don't see it coming soon.

Regarding the NFL Network, I'm not really sure what your issue is. Were you this angry when ESPN took over MNF?

The NFL has always respected Fridays for high school and Saturdays for college. That could change someday, but I don't see it coming soon.

Regarding the NFL Network, I'm not really sure what your issue is. Were you this angry when ESPN took over MNF?

I'm not angry about it really but it's something I don't like about the league. Over the next few years I expect more "marque" match ups that used to be national Sunday games like Packers - Niners will be Thursday night NFL Network games instead.

ESPN is part of basic cable. If NFL games were broadcast on Cinemax I wouldn't like that either.

I'm not angry about it really but it's something I don't like about the league. Over the next few years I expect more "marque" match ups that used to be national Sunday games like Packers - Niners will be Thursday night NFL Network games instead.

ESPN is part of basic cable. If NFL games were broadcast on Cinemax I wouldn't like that either.

Nah, the marquee matchups haven't ever been on TNF regularly, and I don't anticipate that changing. Remember, the NFL still has to sell these TV packages to the networks, AFC to CBS, NFC to Fox, SNF to NBC, and MNF to ESPN, or whatever network comes along to take their places. If the NFL takes marquee matchups for TNF, that'll just anger the networks and lower the cost they're willing to pay for the product. Saints at Falcons in November looks like the only marquee matchup on TNF this year. The marquee matchups may be spread a little more in years to come, but TNF will never dominate them.

Nah, the marquee matchups haven't ever been on TNF regularly, and I don't anticipate that changing. Remember, the NFL still has to sell these TV packages to the networks, AFC to CBS, NFC to Fox, SNF to NBC, and MNF to ESPN, or whatever network comes along to take their places. If the NFL takes marquee matchups for TNF, that'll just anger the networks and lower the cost they're willing to pay for the product. Saints at Falcons in November looks like the only marquee matchup on TNF this year. The marquee matchups may be spread a little more in years to come, but TNF will never dominate them.

I actually disagree with you on this. The NFL is already spreading the marquee games between the Sunday late / national game and SNF / MNF, in addition to Saturday late in the year. I don't think this is a league that's worried about dilluting their content or pissing off the networks if they think there's a few dollasr to be squeezed out of the fans. This is the same league that makes teams play games in other countries, you know?

And so far as marquee games, how would the NFL even know in the preseason whether a game in October / November is going to be between teams that are in the playoff hunt? I seriously can't wait until a team that was expected to be bad is in the playoff picture late in the year and misses the playoffs because they lost a "home" game in London. That will be pretty awesome.

I actually disagree with you on this. The NFL is already spreading the marquee games between the Sunday late / national game and SNF / MNF, in addition to Saturday late in the year. I don't think this is a league that's worried about dilluting their content or pissing off the networks if they think there's a few dollasr to be squeezed out of the fans. This is the same league that makes teams play games in other countries, you know?

But those marquee games you're referring to are going to the networks that paid the big money for the NFL contract, not to the NFL's own network for a Thursday Night game. I thought that's what we were talking about, whether the NFL would take marquee matchups for itself for Thursday Night Football.

I will take the previous play is under review over blown calls left and right all day

That being said... I don't know why the NFL just doesn't go to a replay official up in the booth to overturn a call. I believe on the field officials can be swayed by home crowds where a nameless faceless guy behind tinted glass can be more impartial.

But those marquee games you're referring to are going to the networks that paid the big money for the NFL contract, not to the NFL's own network for a Thursday Night game. I thought that's what we were talking about, whether the NFL would take marquee matchups for itself for Thursday Night Football.

That's where we disagree - I think long term the NFL's plans for its network are going to include more / better games on the NFL network available only by subscription or pay per view. I don't think the NFL launched its own network to only air Browns / Rams caliber games on Thursday night.

For example I am up in NY for Thanksgiving a few years back and can't watch my local team (Eagles) play because I'm outside the region and my host doesn't have NFL Network. That may not be a marquee game for others but it's a game I didn't see because the NFL broadcasts it only on their network, when before it would've been available Sunday or Monday.

Most of the stuff complained-of was inevitable and could not be helped.

I do agree on instant replay though. Seems like it's used way too often these days

Things I hate about the new NFL?.......everything except fantasy football. I have no interest in the stupid NFL anymore with all of their stupid rules, replays, and constant interruptions to the flow of the game. The only thing I care about is money and bragging rights in fantasy.

Baseball is so much better there is no comparison.

Things I hate about the new NFL?.......everything except fantasy football. I have no interest in the stupid NFL anymore with all of their stupid rules, replays, and constant interruptions to the flow of the game. The only thing I care about is money and bragging rights in fantasy.

Baseball is so much better there is no comparison.

Wow, you're a pretty massive loser if this is true.

Wow, you're a pretty massive loser if this is true.

Ouch those are hurtful words. But then I consider the source and just laugh and laugh and laugh.