Sign in to follow this  
BigMilk

Will Cordarelle Patterson ever explode?

First off, yes my team blows, which is why I am asking this question. But is there any hope for production?

I need him to explode like an obese man the morning after hitting a Chinese buffet for 6 straight hours. And having 4 cups of coffee.

1. He's raw.

2. The QB play has been bad.

3. His physical ability, where he could take a short pass or a run and take it all the way, has been largely neutralized by playcalling.

In short, not likely this year.

There is a slight chance he could do something later in the year IF the change in scenery does Freeman any good. Even in that longshot scenario the coaches still suck.

Jennings, Patterson, and Rudolph along with AP isn't a bad deal for a competent quarterback.

There is a slight chance he could do something later in the year IF the change in scenery does Freeman any good. Even in that longshot scenario the coaches still suck.

Jennings, Patterson, and Rudolph along with AP isn't a bad deal for a competent quarterback.

I don't understand why, even given his route running issues and other aspects of his game that need major polish, they don't give him more manufactured touches (screens, reverses, etc) and let the guy just be athletic. They claimed they would weeks ago, and still no explosion.

I don't understand why, even given his route running issues and other aspects of his game that need major polish, they don't give him more manufactured touches (screens, reverses, etc) and let the guy just be athletic. They claimed they would weeks ago, and still no explosion.

Because their coaching staff sucks.

Vikings issue, no matter what the voice of the Vikings may say. Is and has been an issue, primarily about the QB position.

Mainly not being able to scout them very well. And historically not being a QB incubator. That stated, still being successful. (90's this was done via FA Moon, Cunningham, George, ...)

Point is, before I go off on a tangent below without concluding anything.

IS WHO THE HECK IS MAKING THE PLAYER DECISIONS IN THIS ORGANIZATION?
Particularly when it comes to QB. (I would have dropped Ponder and kept MBT).

This person should either be FIRED or Punched in the Face by every Viking fan out there.

You don't put a crappy 1970's 4 cylinder engine into an GT500 and expect it to perform.

Maybe with Cassel now playing or Freeman, we may see them being able to bring in Patterson. And have it be something meaningful.

(for those who hate on Cassel and Freeman, realize that Ponders lack of fundamental means these two are light years ahead).

I am hoping this to be the case.

If the position is won by Cassel, then maybe vs Giants could see patterson contributing on offense significantly.

Otherwise if Freeman, add two more weeks.

Now to tangent.

If I were to think back to the last time they had drafted or signed an undrafted QB of impact. It would be Culpepper (either didn't have a QB coach or was uncoachable). Before that it would have been Brad Johnson, Rich Gannon, (Sean Sallisbury undrafted hack) Wade Wilson, Tommy Kramer (two tequilla tommy) (79), Fran Tarkington (61).

Thing to really note, since Culpepper, they really have not drafted a qb. Yes they reached for Ponder in the first. Reached for Tavaris in the 2nd. They technically have drafted others. Nothing really to show for any of this time frame.

What is interesting is what Rich Gannon said of the Vikings QB situation when he started (and the league as a whole today) in an interview this week.

http://www.kfan.com/media/podcast-dan-barreiro-kfan-fm-1003-KFAN_Barreiro/1010-3p-rich-gannon-randi-kaye-23825707/

After hearing that Wilson/Kramer didn't really prepare for games. I am both amazed at what they did do, and disappointed that more didn't happen during the 80's. (Instead of trading for Walker, they should have brought in a QB coach).

NFL, in general, is really poor at player development. Is too much the outsource mentality for too many teams. (Vikes in a sense has been there, see 90's).

Even though some teams have been incubators (see Packers during Favre era, lots of backups became starters). Not all of their prodigy have panned out (Matt Flynn)

HMMMM, if one was really assessing themselves, you might hope the Vikings front office realize they are not that good at drafting/evaluating at all position. However, they are too full of themselves to ever admit it. And thus will repeat it.

Not yet. certainly not if ponder keeps starting.

outside chance if Cassel starts.

better chance if freeman starts.

but I'd say its likely not to happen until next year.

Vikings issue, no matter what the voice of the Vikings may say. Is and has been an issue, primarily about the QB position.

Mainly not being able to scout them very well. And historically not being a QB incubator. That stated, still being successful. (90's this was done via FA Moon, Cunningham, George, ...)

This person should either be FIRED or Punched in the Face by every Viking fan out there.

You don't put a crappy 1970's 4 cylinder engine into an GT500 and expect it to perform.

Maybe with Cassel now playing or Freeman, we may see them being able to bring in Patterson. And have it be something meaningful.

(for those who hate on Cassel and Freeman, realize that Ponders lack of fundamental means these two are light years ahead).

If the position is won by Cassel, then maybe vs Giants could see patterson contributing on offense significantly.

Now to tangent.

If I were to think back to the last time they had drafted or signed an undrafted QB of impact. It would be Culpepper (either didn't have a QB coach or was uncoachable). Before that it would have been Brad Johnson, Rich Gannon, (Sean Sallisbury undrafted hack) Wade Wilson, Tommy Kramer (two tequilla tommy) (79), Fran Tarkington (61).

Thing to really note, since Culpepper, they really have not drafted a qb. Yes they reached for Ponder in the first. Reached for Tavaris in the 2nd. They technically have drafted others. Nothing really to show for any of this time frame.

What is interesting is what Rich Gannon said of the Vikings QB situation when he started (and the league as a whole today) in an interview this week.

http://www.kfan.com/media/podcast-dan-barreiro-kfan-fm-1003-KFAN_Barreiro/1010-3p-rich-gannon-randi-kaye-23825707/

After hearing that Wilson/Kramer didn't really prepare for games. I am both amazed at what they did do, and disappointed that more didn't happen during the 80's. (Instead of trading for Walker, they should have brought in a QB coach).

NFL, in general, is really poor at player development. Is too much the outsource mentality for too many teams. (Vikes in a sense has been there, see 90's).

Even though some teams have been incubators (see Packers during Favre era, lots of backups became starters). Not all of their prodigy have panned out (Matt Flynn)

HMMMM, if one was really assessing themselves, you might hope the Vikings front office realize they are not that good at drafting/evaluating at all position. However, they are too full of themselves to ever admit it. And thus will repeat it.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Now to tangent.

You, sir, have nailed it. Good job.

I'm gonna go ahead and agree with the guy that took the time to spell it out.

Next year .. unless Simpson gets hurt. Jennings is the WR you want in that offense right now.

Whole Vikes offense could use some Taco Bell. Patterson especially should be double-fisting Doritos Locos tacos when he is not in the game.

Josh Freeman could be just the laxative to facilitate an explosion by Patterson and the rest of the Vikings O.

Josh Freeman could be just the laxative to facilitate an explosion by Patterson and the rest of the Vikings O.

shame they aren't playing the browns again...

He looks almost unstoppable tonight. He clearly just came from Curry in a Hurry and loaded up on lamb vindaloo. That hair net thing he is wearing that looks like an ardvark's nose doesn't appear to be slowing him down either. This is what I've been waiting for, so glad I stashed him.