Sign in to follow this  
highsider5

anyone's Superbowl week 17 here?

working the last week of the season seems to be yet another facet of my pretty non-normal league, our playoffs run the final three games.

the big showdown for us occurs on the least predictable week of the year, which is part blessing part curse, but always interesting..... is anyone else playing for wk.15-17 here?

working the last week of the season seems to be yet another facet of my pretty non-normal league, our playoffs run the final three games.

the big showdown for us occurs on the least predictable week of the year, which is part blessing part curse, but always interesting..... is anyone else playing for wk.15-17 here?

i am .but its not a playoff . its a league that total points is all the matters to win the money . so its not head to head .

My stupid family league that is terrified of change and full of whiners and d-bags runs thru week 17. 12 teamer, 4 teams get in, semis in week 16, championship in 17. I've won it twice because I'm a degenerate and still treat it like one of my other cut throat leagues...

If my cousin doesn't change it to weeks 14, 15, 16 next year, I'm going to defecate on his living room floor at our draft.

skipping a week.. non PPR scoring.. not counting return yards.. fumbles on special teams that can't be scored right or at all... guess I'm in the minority but I like it this way.

I'd guess that at the end of this year, most will wish it was week 15 they could have skipped, not 17 :)

ok, thx to those that posted.

Ignore the haters. My long-running league (approaching 30 years) has a week 17 championship game and I like that it adds an extra wrinkle. It's no more stupid than playing fantasy football in the first place. Everybody knows it's coming and has the same opportunity to prepare for it. What? Its not fair and just dumb luck that a couple of your studs will be resting in week 17? Well, it's not fair and dumb luck that AD sat out week 15 with an injury. It's not fair and dumb luck that Arod has been out for over a month while still taking up a roster spot because he had a chance to be back for the Thanksgiving day game or the next week or the next week...... It's not fair and dumb luck that highly drafted promising players like TRich, Doug Martin and Spiller suddenly sucked this season. Luck plays a huge role in fantasy football and anybody who thinks that playing a championship game in week 16 instead of week 17 changes that is simply fooling themselves. Maybe it's not as fun when your studs who have been dominating and healthy all season are resting for your championship game (though I would venture to guess that your opponent feels differently), but I happen to think that the true champion coach should be able to make some roster moves to effectively get past that.

• Like 1

An ESPN league that I am in...

Kind of lame but here's how it goes for playoffs:

only 4 teams make the playoffs of 12

no playoff bye weeks

round 1 playoffs = total of wks 14&15 same opponent

Champ/Fantasybowl = total of wks 16&17 same opponent

only one plus... no one and done playoff weeks

aside from that, this is a dumb setup...multiple week totals is dumb... playing wk 17 is dumb...

family league... low dollars... just for fun so I don't complain

A long time ago we had a week 17 championship game... Moved it to week 16 because of players getting rest that were playoff bound...

I debated this hard last year, but you will never convince people that week 17 just PURPOSELY adds more luck and randomness to an already random game.

LOL, hiding from week 17 is something that doesn't appeal to me, IDGAF what the perceptions are, the two teams left scrapping have the same problem so I'd rather see a Superbowl made out of it than running away, changing format or trying to splice in some kinda FF pro bowl out of a week deemed unworthy for real play... what's that.

besides that, kicking everyone's butt this year got me a bye last week and that wound up being a season saver, I would have lost to the entire bracket had I been scheduled so, instead of getting bounced, I'm still in it to win it.

very happy with my "stupid" format and looking forward to next year even though I still have a game or two left this year... if you are happy with your stupid format, more power to ya.

:cheers:

why not just start playoffs the same week as NFL does? :dunno:

Oh wait..not all the players will be playing........SAME GOES FOR WEEK 17 :thumbsdown:

why not just start playoffs the same week as NFL does? :dunno:

Oh wait..not all the players will be playing........SAME GOES FOR WEEK 17 :thumbsdown:

logic fail, but thanks.

For those that play poker, it's like playing an 8 hour session... You have been patient, made smart folds while also being aggressive at times... Enjoyed a few alcoholic beverages and this has to this point resulted in a profitable night... But then, the drunk a hole at the other side of the table says lets play one more hand, all in to end the night.

Week 17 and encountering the drunk a hole at the end of a long night are two things I choose to avoid.

My money league went to Week 16 SB back in 2008 but this year reverted back to Week 17 this year for no reason. I suspect it was either ignorance (not changing that setting) or the Commish wanted an extra week to try to get in the playoffs.

waaah.. doesn't bug me in the least

it adds a twist I can handle, adds one more dosage of FF before the great winter and adds a whole new scoop and start factor for some balls out add/drop you think you can go all in on.

Ok, now that everyone has given their opinion, are there any players out there you might be targeting specifically for week 17?

we use week 17 as a bonus week for weeks highest scored team.

Every week in our 12 team league we have the six losing teams pay an additional $5 for their loss.

It goes into a pool for week 17

Highest scored gets most

we also pay out second and third.

It has worked well, been doing that week 17 bonus for 7-8 years.

It gives more chances to win $$$$

last year I took second in SB and second in week 17 pts.

Leagues that have their championships week 17 might as well start their season in week 4 of the preseason with so many key players sitting week 17.

Leagues that have their championships week 17 might as well start their season in week 4 of the preseason with so many key players sitting week 17.

Guess we also need to do something about those 12 teams that sit all their key players during weeks 8 and 9.