Sign in to follow this  
swirvenirvin

Camping in Colorado

So for some dumbass reason my buddy wants his bachelor party in the rockies. Renting some cabin that we have to hike 2 miles to since cars can even get by on the road. No electricity, no phones (no cell service within 10 miles), no water.. Just pretty much a cabin with a wood burning stove to heat it.

The general idea is cool of hiking exploring all that sh1t, just not too keen on the middle of focking nowhere have to hike 2 miles from the car to get to the cabin where there will still be snow in June thing.

I mean am I being ghey, or is this a ghey trip?

Seems dumb to spend $500 after flight food renting sh1t to do this. I dunno

Yeah you're being ghey. Just do whatever you need to do to make it a good time. Lotsa booze, some great campfire-type food. And Dank's suggestion is really quite excellent. Vital, even.

one of the biggest and I mean huge upsides that I'm reading is the bility to get the f*** away from the wife girlfriend with a perfectly legitimate excuse. Cell phones are f***** up poker games golf pretty much every activity men try to do. So try and look at it that way.

I am fairly certain that after 10 minutes in Colorado I would not give a rats behind about much of anything.

I love camping. I go all the time ( I live in Denver).

Stop being a poosay. Just enjoy the time. Get some Weed, Booze, Shrooms, and plenty of water. You'll be fine.

Don't forget to stock up on the condoms for all the butt secks you'll be having too. :thumbsup:

sh1t winter of many months of snow and cold weather. Finally nice out in MI, and go back to 50's and snow

Being your gold pan with you. There be gold in them these hills I tell ya.

Embrace it bro.

:music_guitarred:

completely off-grid, backcountry hut and located on the Continental Divide at an elevation of 11,700 ft. Surrounded by thousands of acres of San Isabel National Forest, there are no other structures for miles, and none in sight, for a very remote feeling retreat that's only 1.8 miles from the highway and parking area. Access by high-clearance 4x4 vehicle to the front door is possible, but requires low gears (rental SUV not recommended). It's a great base camp for backcountry adventures on the high Colorado trails. Wildlife sightings are very common. No electricity or running water - bring your own bottled water or melt snow on the woodburning stove. Indoor composting toilet facilities. Propane gas cook stove, kitchen utensils (pots, pans, etc.), and oil lamps provided. Bring your own headlamp, hut booties, sleeping bag, pillow case and tooth brush. Sleeping arrangements: one double "sleigh" bed on main floor, one queen bed and two sets of bunk beds in upstairs loft (ladder climb required). Dogs allowed in summer, but not in winter due to snow gathering for drinking water.

Leadville, Really? More people per capita die there than anywhere else in the state. It's not so much mountainous as it is flat, arid and filled with illigal migrant workers who kill and rob tourists. ICE has a permanent task force there. In fact, a family of four was recently beheaded there and they don't even have any suspects. So, at a minimum, I'd come armed. And leave at least one guy up each night to stand guard.

But, if you decide to risk it, try this place:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g33520-d1492772-Reviews-High_Mountain_Pies-Leadville_Colorado.html

completely off-grid, backcountry hut and located on the Continental Divide at an elevation of 11,700 ft. Surrounded by thousands of acres of San Isabel National Forest, there are no other structures for miles, and none in sight, for a very remote feeling retreat that's only 1.8 miles from the highway and parking area. Access by high-clearance 4x4 vehicle to the front door is possible, but requires low gears (rental SUV not recommended). It's a great base camp for backcountry adventures on the high Colorado trails. Wildlife sightings are very common. No electricity or running water - bring your own bottled water or melt snow on the woodburning stove. Indoor composting toilet facilities. Propane gas cook stove, kitchen utensils (pots, pans, etc.), and oil lamps provided. Bring your own headlamp, hut booties, sleeping bag, pillow case and tooth brush. Sleeping arrangements: one double "sleigh" bed on main floor, one queen bed and two sets of bunk beds in upstairs loft (ladder climb required). Dogs allowed in summer, but not in winter due to snow gathering for drinking water.

No thanks.

Leadville, Really? More people per capita die there than anywhere else in the state. It's not so much mountainous as it is flat, arid and filled with illigal migrant workers who kill and rob tourists. ICE has a permanent task force there. In fact, a family of four was recently beheaded there and they don't even have any suspects. So, at a minimum, I'd come armed. And leave at least one guy up each night to stand guard.

But, if you decide to risk it, try this place:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g33520-d1492772-Reviews-High_Mountain_Pies-Leadville_Colorado.html

links to any of that bad stuff?

Sounds really awesome. Although you are being quite a baby about this, I should warn you that there is a fairly good chance one of you may experience altitude sickness if not acclimated. It may be just a pesky headache, nausea and sleep disturbance, or life threatening fluid accumulation in your lungs, brain swelling or both. Better have someone who knows how to recognize the symptoms.

I'm not certain, but i think Wiff is FOS regarding crime there, in part because of the altitude.

I'm not certain, but i think Wiff is FOS regarding crime there, in part because of the altitude.

What, like crime doesn't occur above a certain level? Why don't you ask the Donner party about that.

What, like crime doesn't occur above a certain level? Why don't you ask the Donner party about that.

Criminals are lazy, in general. Everything requires more effort at altitude.

The Donner party wasn't done in by criminals; most of them died as a result of malnutrition and exposure. And their elevation was only 7K feet, which is about the minimum elevation where altitude sickness can be a problem.

Criminals are lazy, in general. Everything requires more effort at altitude.

The Donner party wasn't done in by criminals; most of them died as a result of malnutrition and exposure. And their elevation was only 7K feet, which is about the minimum elevation where altitude sickness can be a problem.

ONLY 7000 feet? That's far higher than most places in the US.

And, bear in mind that Messico City has a 7-8 foot high altitude as well. That's why all of 'they' thrive in Colorado's mountains.

I'm not certain, but i think Wiff is FOS

You're probably the only person not certain about it.

Sounds really awesome. Although you are being quite a baby about this, I should warn you that there is a fairly good chance one of you may experience altitude sickness if not acclimated. It may be just a pesky headache, nausea and sleep disturbance, or life threatening fluid accumulation in your lungs, brain swelling or both. Better have someone who knows how to recognize the symptoms.

I am being a baby about this, I admit to it. Looking for excuses not to go. If its not snowy and can walk around thats another thing, but I think 2 weeks from now it will still be covered in snow. I would be down for hiking all day anywhere, then I want to go back to a normal place.

I do have asthma (not bad anymore) and wonder a bit how I would hold up.

Leadville, CO, violent crime, on a scale from 1 (low crime) to 10, is 8. Violent crime is composed of four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. The US average is 4.

http://www.bestplaces.net/crime/city/colorado/leadville

It's not known at the "Detroit of the Rockies" for nuthin. If you don't believe me, check out the link I provided.

You have been warned.

I mean, you could always call 9-1- oh wait, nevermind...

ONLY 7000 feet? That's far higher than most places in the US.

And, bear in mind that Messico City has a 7-8 foot high altitude as well. That's why all of 'they' thrive in Colorado's mountains.

7K<<12K. How much time have you spent at that elevation?

Also, no murders in Leadville between 2001 and 2012. Unless 2013 was a banner year, I doubt migrant workers have killed many people: http://www.city-data.com/city/Leadville-Colorado.html

I am being a baby about this, I admit to it. Looking for excuses not to go. If its not snowy and can walk around thats another thing, but I think 2 weeks from now it will still be covered in snow. I would be down for hiking all day anywhere, then I want to go back to a normal place.

I'd say your likelihood of dying from asthma + altitude exceeds being murdered by Mexicans. I think CO is getting some snow now, and at that altitude it's not unheard of for snow to linger into July.

Unless you are in good shape and spend a night or two to acclimate, you'll probably have a tough time.

http://www.bestplaces.net/crime/city/colorado/leadville

It's not known at the "Detroit of the Rockies" for nuthin. If you don't believe me, check out the link I provided.

You have been warned.

I mean, you could always call 9-1- oh wait, nevermind...

Googling "detroit of the rockies" says nothing about Leadville either :dunno: .

I know you're a local, but I spend quite a bit of time in CO as well and I've never heard of Leadville being dangerous.

Look at the murder stats in my link…only year it lacks is 2013. Googling "leadville murders 2013" yields none :dunno: .

So, you think 8 out of 10 with a national average of 4 for violent crime is safe?

By the way, If I could post the picture I would, but this morning, we woke up to around 5 inches of accumulated snow. In mid-May. No shiit. Watch the news if you think I'm kidding. Today's high will still be in the 30's. And that's in the city, not downtown.

So, there's that.

So, you think 8 out of 10 with a national average of 4 for violent crime is safe?

No, but your link and my links give different data. Any links which substantiate this?

More people per capita die there than anywhere else in the state. It's not so much mountainous as it is flat, arid and filled with illigal migrant workers who kill and rob tourists.

Common sense and a couple of internet searches suggest your statements are exaggerated. Or complete BS.

Googling "detroit of the rockies" says nothing about Leadville either :dunno: .

I know you're a local, but I spend quite a bit of time in CO as well and I've never heard of Leadville being dangerous.

Breaking news, not everything that's said makes it onto the interweb. For example, Benny has a fetish for cleaning the bathroom at one of the local bars. Google that. You likely won't find that either. Yet, the amount of completely untrue shiit you can find via google is staggering.

If you want to send him into a raging death trap, that's on you, but at least I have the integrity to let him make an informed decision. His (and his friend's) blood will be on your hands. I hope you can live with that.

No, but your link and my links give different data. Any links which substantiate this?

So, let me get this straight: You want a link to support my link? :doh: