Sign in to follow this  
vrabinec

1000 yards for Boykin this year?

In the three mid-season games he played with Rodgers on the field, he had 22 catches for 235 yards. Project that over 16 games, and he's got 117 catches for 1235 yards. With Cobb back, his numbers won't be that gaudy, but he's still the 2nd wide out when they go to three wides, which is a lot. Not sure about the TD production though, even without a decent option yet at TE.

If they were that high on Boykin, they would not have taken Adams in the 2nd round. Green Bay runs a 3 WR base offense. Boykin was the recepient of playing in a great offense, not a player that made his offense better. I'm not certain what he will do in terms of receptions/yards/TD's this season, but I suspect it will be his only opportunity to show he belongs. The last two WR's taken in the 2nd round by Green Bay were Nelson and Cobb. They not only drafted Adams, McCarthy raved about him after the fact. Adams will need a year to grow into his role, but he's the future in Packerland, not Boykin. Considering all their defensive needs, they could have taken a player who would have impacted the team more in 2014 than Adams, but they didn't. Then they went on to draft two more WR's later. Fantasy players like to talk about Boykin, but the fact is this; Cobb was out and Nelson missed quite a bit of playing time during several games as well. He was a necessity, not an option. How much he plays this season will depend on Adam's growth and the TE position. If the TE plays a prominent role, Boykin would be 4th in terms of "looks" and possibly 5th, behind the RB's. So.... In my estimation, unless an injury hits Cobb or Nelson, or possibly the TE doesn't play very well, Boykin is being seriously overdrafted. There are WR3/WR4's going in his current position. I'll take the safe player over a guy who may only have a couple good games all season, but more than likely, only when he's on your bench.

Nelson had 33 receptions as a rookie and Cobb had 25 as a rookie. Adams might get some receptions at the end of the year, but for the first 10-12 games, I expect Boykin to be option #3. And the Packers DON'T have a viable option at tight end, unless Lyerla comes up big. I dunno. I took Adams as well, just in case. But in the 3 mid-season games Boykin was on the field with Rodgers, he had 22 catches for 235 yards. Project that over 16 games, and it's 117 catches for 1235. Obviously, with Cobb back, the numbers won't be that high, but he should still make out okay. And as far as drafting receivers, I think that might have more to do with Cobb and Nelson suddenly showing signs that they may not be able to stay on the field for every game. I dunno.

No not if Cobb and Nelson stay on the field . Could happen if one or both of course don't

• Like 1

Nelson had 33 receptions as a rookie and Cobb had 25 as a rookie. Adams might get some receptions at the end of the year, but for the first 10-12 games, I expect Boykin to be option #3. And the Packers DON'T have a viable option at tight end, unless Lyerla comes up big. I dunno. I took Adams as well, just in case. But in the 3 mid-season games Boykin was on the field with Rodgers, he had 22 catches for 235 yards. Project that over 16 games, and it's 117 catches for 1235. Obviously, with Cobb back, the numbers won't be that high, but he should still make out okay. And as far as drafting receivers, I think that might have more to do with Cobb and Nelson suddenly showing signs that they may not be able to stay on the field for every game. I dunno.

In those games though, he didn't have Cobb at all and Nelson wasn't at full strength. I don't expect Adams to do much this season, so if injury strikes, I can see Boykin doing something. I'm just not a fan of drafting a player who may not see much time without injury striking. It's a gamble. As for the TE.... Lyerla is a headcase, so I wouldn't expect him to win the job anyway. Rodgers is the guy to watch. He isn't as fast as Lyerla, but he has great hands. http://football13.myfantasyleague.com/2014/view_news_article?L=19079&ID=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fftoday.com%2Fnews%2Findex.php%3FItem%3D8788

Yeah, I get that Cobb wasn't there, but neither was Rodgers. He's certainly not a lock or anything, but I don't expect him to get LESS than 800 yards. So, somewhere between 800 and 1000? Sound about right?

GB is going to throw around 550 - 600 times this year. Let's call it 575. With Rodger's roughly 65% completion rate, that's 373 completed passes. Nelson and Cobb should grab around 85+ each, leaving 200 or so receptions up for grabs. Figure about 60 will go to RBs, and another 50 or so to TEs. That's still almost 100 balls that need to be caught and James Jones left town, so somebody's got to catch them right?

I feel comfortable projecting Boykin's floor to repeat last year's numbers, roughly 50 catches for 675 yards and 3 TDs. His ceiling could be much higher though, especially if Nelson or Cobb go down. My thoughts on their drafting so many WRs has more to do with Nelson/Cobbs' upcoming contracts than anything else.

1000yds is not that much and its well within reach for whoever is the primary 3rd wr for the packers.

He's a third year WR in a potentially great offense this year. He had a couple of big games with Rodgers and without Rodgers as the QB.... that says a lot to me.

To me, he's a draft and hold type player. I wouldn't start him with a healthy Cobb and Nelson playing but if one of those guys goes down he's an automatic WR2.

You take Boykin early around round nine. Nobody will jump for Adams but still play it safe and take him around round 11-12 and BOOM! now, you've got yourself a guy in the later rounds getting WR2/3 production and his handcuff and you did so at a discount.

I don't feel he will be reliable contributor. Even one he got a WR2/3 production, you won't know which week to start him.

1k is possible, I feel Rodgers and the passing game are in for a big year. It's not unheard of for the third guy to get 1000yds wich is only a measly 60 per game. A couple games of 120 and you can stumble your way to 1k pretty easy. I think Boykin is a great value as a strong reserve wr and has potential to be a good wr3.

yeah its doable.

TE situation is murky, Jones is gone. If Rodgers stays on the field all year it could happen even if Cobb and Nelson play all 16.