Sign in to follow this  
gitrdun

Strategy at picking 1

In a league where you can play a qb at the flex in a PPR league, what would be your 1st pick? We also get to keep a player drafted 4th or lower. I am keeping Foles. I see 4 choices: Charles ( worry about is O-line) McCoy (don't usually like a qb and rb on same team) Manning (tough schedule) or Brees (always money). I the strategy is to go qb, the rbs will be pretty shaky at the 24 and 25th pick. Your thoughts.

Prob brees. Qb at flex is just a 2qb leagu since its silly to start any other positon. Either brees or ur fav rb. Dont worry about rb and qb on the same team, they score what they score regardless of what team they are on.

If I have Foles I'm going RB

I would love a stud back but having Brees and Foles I am pretty sure of getting 20-25 points each week out of them

Ok

I'm in a similar league of 8 teams; PPR and 1QB plus flex (could be QB). I have the first pick. I'm leaning towards QB (Brees or Peyton or Rodgers) before a stud RB. I should get a top 10 RB & WR at pick 16 &17.

But, it's sure hard to pass on Charles at #1.

For you, I'd go RB since you already have Foles.

For me, what do you think?

I thin if I were you I would go Charles in a 10 team league. You should still get a couple of good qbs. 12 team other qb may not be very good. People do not like the qb flex league but it sure makes drafting harder.

8 team I think I would go RB first

If you already have Foles then I'd go RB. Can't go wrong with either Charles or McCoy.

Having a QB as a potential flex screws up the ADP a little bit, but I'd think of that second pick.

Foles/Charles or McCoy/a QB2 like Ryan or RG3

vs

Foles/Brees/A RB like Arian Foster or Gio Bernard as your #1 back

I would go RB and then hope for Ryan/RG3 or even Cutler at the 24 spot.

For those of you who say Brees, any concern with his road struggles? He's great at home (8 games), but sometimes pretty bad on the road.

Note: at Chicago week 15

Dude has thrown for 5,000 yards in like 5 of the last 6 years. He can't be that bad on the road :)

I'm less concerned about that with him than the defenses Manning is going to play.

Dude has thrown for 5,000 yards in like 5 of the last 6 years. He can't be that bad on the road :)

Fine. I'm just tossing it out there. When at home, Brees can win your week for you. When on the road, he can easily lose it for you!

Not exactly what I want in my 1.1 pick.

Evidence?

Home: 2835 yards, 27 TDs, 3 INTs

Away: 2327 yards, 12 TDs, 9 INTs

12 TDs and 9 INTs in 8 games is brutal!!

It's a consideration, sure. I'm not saying you are wrong - these are all just opinions because nobody knows for sure. We're all trying to guess at the future.

Looking over the stats it seems like he had particularly poor games against Tampa, the Jets, Saint Louis and Carolina on the road. Tampa was early in the season in a warm climate, the Jets were early November so not too cold and STL is a dome team. Not sure what to make of it. He threw 8 of the 9 INT in those 4 games so that's 4 games where he had 1 or 0 INT on the road. He was brutal against Seattle without throwing an INT on the road but who didn't Seattle beat up last year? Also: dome team.

2012 his only really awful game was against Atlanta in December but they're a dome, too.

2011 he had two games with a QB Rating under 80 and both were on the road, but they were both before October and one was against STL in a Dome.

You're not wrong, and week 15 at Chicago sounds tough now (although I think Chicago is more of an offense-first team these days...Monsters of the Midway this defense is not) and that's a prime fantasy playoff week.

But I'd still rather bank on his overall consistency in totals from year to year than Manning who faces murderer's row of defenses this year or Rodgers who has NEVER thrown for 5000 in his career and is coming off an injury.

Also full disclosure since I was looking at stats. Brees has thrown for 5000 in 4 of the last 6 years, not 5 of 6.

Rodgers has never thrown for 5k, Manning only did it once (last year when he was insane).

With the saints he's never thrown for less than 4400 yards and 26 TD. Mannings second best season ever was 4700 yards and 33 TD's. Better for sure, but that's not a difference you can't fill up by hitting on a WR/RB/TE sleeper in later rounds.

His consistency, to me, says that even if he has his worst year in the last 8 seasons you're still getting a guy who will not completely cripple your fantasy team. The absolute worst projection for him, barring catastrophic injury which nobody saw coming because he's not injury prone, is QB1.

I say BUMP on Brees and his road struggles.

46 yards and a pick six.

GREAT at home or in other domes. Outside? Not so much.

And THAT is how you do the reverse jinx!!

Starting Brees in 2 of 4 leagues and needed to do something to get my guy fired up.

:thumbsup: