Sign in to follow this  
hoydogg

Hyde or Hill

Who has the better chance of being productive at some point this season? I drafted both late last night. It would seem to be Hyde because Hill has Gio in front of him. Sounds like he has supplanted the Law Firm though. Possibility he could be the goal line back. What say you?

If you want someone you could potentially use weekly from the start of the season, I would lean towards Hill. Even BJGE managed 800 yards and 7 scores in that role last year, with an abysmal 3.4 YPC. Hill has a real chance to make an impact this year and I've got him as a low RB3/flex in 12-teamers.

Hyde is obviously the higher ceiling guy since injury or ineffectiveness could lead to him taking the throne in SF, and he's looked great this preseason. I think he'll also see a few series every game, but I don't know that he's going to fight his way to more than 6-8 touches in the first half of the season when Gore still has fresh legs. A 49ers homer might have a better idea.

^This. Bengals will run the ball 500+ this year, leaving plenty of work for Hill in the "big back" role, even though Gio is the starter. Hyde is the more talented of the two, but until Gore's age finally catches up to him, Hyde will be more of a compliment and COP, at least to start the season. Gore showed signs of wearing down over the 2nd half last year, so Hyde may get his chance sooner rather than later, but in week 1, I think Hill has a more defined role and clearer path to carries.

I agree , Hill will get more work early on , has the season goes on Hyde , I think will start to catch up .

I would go with Hill.

1. He's more talented than Hyde. This is the guy who broke the SEC record for yards per carry; not easy for a "power" back. He has tremendous vision, power, and speed. Disregard the 4.63 forty, and instead watch the highlights of him breaking off long runs against SEC defenses.

2. He already has a delineated role in the Bengals offense. We've seen that the Bengals will utilize their second RB, where the 49ers have been more one running back dominant.

3. Gio has been thoroughly unimpressive this preseason.

This isn't to say I don't like Hyde. I actually own both in my league. I just believe that Hill has a higher ceiling, and slightly better situation.

I think it depends on your RB1 & RB2.....If your really solid I would gamble on Hyde. He has played well and if Gore goes down I genuinely believe he is Top 12 potential. If your starting RBs are shaky then perhaps I lean towards Hill for more immediate production and consistency, albeit average at best IMO.

I think that both need an injury to have any more value than a "flex" play...

I play in a league with 3 starting RBs, I think he will be okay as a RB3?

I play in a league with 3 starting RBs, I think he will be okay as a RB3?

See my thing is I prefer to start rb2s as flex. Why make a crap start? Heck, I only draft an rb3 that I think can be an rb1 potentially. I don't want a flex player to score flex points.

at this point i would be concerned about gio. Not only with the fact he is slated to get 300 carries which comes with injury risk he has been very ineffective thus far this preseason. To me he looks injured.

I'd say Hyde has the better upside. Just because if something happens to Gore (who is injury prone and on the wrong side of the 30 year old mark) he becomes the starter in a run based offense and a great O-Line.

So the chances of Gore going down to injury (in my opinion) 30-50%.

The chances of Gore losing his starting gig due to declining production (20-30%)

*(note Gores numbers were not as good last year as they have been in the past. some would argue that the declining production that comes with age has already started.)

I would take Hyde not only for these reasons, but also because I think he will still get a decent number of carries in this offense. San Fran really likes to pound the rock, and I dont think they want to overwork their starter who is over the age of 30. This could even develop into a time share where both players put up fair numbers.