Sign in to follow this  
handbanana

QB allowed in the flex spot: How much does this alter your draft strategy?

12 team league, I'm drafting 11, and you are allowed to play a QB in the flex (OP position). Historically, if you really nail it and draft 2 great QBs, you have a great chance to win each week because not only do you win the QB position, you invariably win the Flex position was well (since QBs on average score more than RB/WR/TE).

However, say I were to go Brees/Rodgers at 11 and 14 (which likely won't happen, one of both will be gone, along with Manning). Or, let's say one of the Big 3 QBs is there and I take them at 11.

Now, the rest of the draft I am playing catch-up at the other positions obviously. But, I like some of the RBs that are available in Rounds 3-5 (Ellington, Jennings, Rice, Spiller, CJ2K) and I like a lot of the WRs that are available in Rounds 4-6 (Sanders, Crabtree, Harvin, and later still Cooper, Boldin, etc).

Here is the real question for this format:

Would you rather roll out 2 potential stud QBs and then hope to hit on some of the later RBs/WRs, or

Would you rather go, say, DT/Stacy then Ellington/Crabtree and roll with guys like Palmer, Locker, and potentially Dalton (although Dalton may even be gone before the end of Round 5 in this format?

Thoughts appreciated, thanks in advance!

I'd draft a second QB.

I think you are on to something.

It would significantly alter my draft strategy and I'd probably draft QB back to back with first two picks unless everyone does that strategy.

I think you are on to something.

It would significantly alter my draft strategy and I'd probably draft QB back to back with first two picks unless everyone does that strategy.

Even it the Big 3 are off the board? So, say, Stafford and then Luck at 11 and 14? I'd almost rather take DT and Dez and see what QBs are there in Rounds 3 and 4... Maybe? Argh!

Even it the Big 3 are off the board? So, say, Stafford and then Luck at 11 and 14? I'd almost rather take DT and Dez and see what QBs are there in Rounds 3 and 4... Maybe? Argh!

I am in a league like that. Often times, half the first round is QB's. At 11, I would probably take a stud RB/WR and get a QB at 14. It will be a loooooong season if you do not pull one stud QB. I usually draft a Fitzpatrick and a Locker type QB in later rounds and just play the matchups.

Look,at,a QB early . Second or third pick . In the two starting QB leagues I am in , in the past sometimes the QBS go really fast . At least get the first QB early .

so we have a 6 pt QB passing league, but we also give 1 pt for 1st downs rush/rec, its same though we can play 2nd QB in the flex.

Only Manning and Brees finished top 15 in this scoring last year, does that alter things?

We added a flex in my primary league this year at the draft (voted on it) and some people made noise about letting QBs be a part of it. Thankfully, most said no way to it.

IMO it's silly and puts too much emphasis on drafting all the QBs within the first couple rounds.

Our 2 qb league is a 4 pass pt league but ttop 12 qbs usually are gone by rd 3. RBs and QBs are gold. I usually roll stud qb then RB RB and best available rd 4 if there are still at least 3-5 "startable" qbs left then nab a qb rd 5. What I also do is have 3-4 qbs total on my roster as trade bait. Last year took nick foles with last pick for instance. I'm looking at Matt cassel as my qb3 and then Kirk cousins qb4 last rd or two. I hope that helps

Mike glennon might be a nice backup option.

If i were in a qb flex league i may want to make the draft a 3rr. Seems early picks have a big advantage to get a top flight qb, good value rb that fell in the second, and another good qb.

Last season, In a 6 point TD league / PPR league the top 4 point producers were QB's. Then Jamaal Charles with his freak RB season, then 3 more QB's then Demaryius Thomas then another QB for 8 QB's in the top 10. QB's were Manning, Brees, Rivers, Dalton, Stafford, Luck, Newton, Romo.

There were 3 more QB's in the next 10 giving the QB position 11 of the top 20. Given that QB is typically the least risky position to draft with regard to projecting stats, I don't see how you don't gain a huge advantage by going QB QB and having a much greater chance of hitting on 2 of the top 20 scoring players by the end of the season. Even if you miss, you are still likely to get a player that doesn't bust out where as if you take players like some of the 2nd tier RB's their bust rate is going to be a lot higher.