Sign in to follow this  
SaintsInDome2006

CJ Anderson

Couple quick points on why I favor CJ Anderson.

1. He is a more complete RB - right size and running style
  2. Hillman has been given the chance before with no results. I don't see that changing.
  3. Averaging 6 yards per carry in limited action
  4. Never trust what Peyton Manning says - he promoted the crap out of Montee Ball too.

1. Never trust what Peyton Manning says - he promoted the crap out of Montee Ball too.

Yup, only reason I drafted Ball because of it....

• Never trust what Peyton Manning says - he promoted the crap out of Montee Ball too.

Yup, only reason I drafted Ball because of it....

He promoted Ball and Ball played. He didn't perform the way we would like but he was the bell cow just as Peyton said he would be.

If this is true than Hillman is the guy he is now promoting.

I foresee CJ being the man with Hillman taking on a change of pace back's role. If Hillman fumbles even once I see his role being less than that. Sunday is going to be interesting in that there are so many rising star RBs getting their chances. (Hillman, CJ, Oliver, Williams, hell even Tate)

He promoted Ball and Ball played. He didn't perform the way we would like but he was the bell cow just as Peyton said he would be.

If this is true than Hillman is the guy he is now promoting.

He promoted J Thomas the year before, and he balled out. Stupid Ball.

He promoted J Thomas the year before, and he balled out. Stupid Ball.

Yeesh FOCK you Peyton for not predicting the future and only giving us the correct prediction on opportunity.

Yeesh FOCK you Peyton for not predicting the future and only giving us the correct prediction on opportunity.

Clam down man, it's not that serious, you don't need to have sex with another guy just because Ball burned you.

So why not just find the largest RB FA and sign him because clearly size is the most important factor in playing with Peyton.

You think 15 lbs is the difference between good blitz pickup and a sack? It's about knowledge and responsibility... and some balls to stand there and take on a LB.

Well actually Anderson and Thompson were free agents. Moreno, Montee Ball and Lance Ball (5'9" 224 lb btw) all were the primary backs in that offense. Hillman may have improved as a blocker and ballhandler too but there aren't too many 195 pound primary backs playing in high tempo, pass oriented offenses in the NFL. They are the change of pace back all the time though. Even Reggie Bush is 205. Bernard is 208. They both share time with Joique Bell and Jeremy Hill but at any rate even Bush and Bernard have 10+ lbs on Hillman. Maybe Forsett 5'8", 197, but he also is in a 3-way RBBC right now. Of course he is only in that situation because Ray Rice went away.

Hillman at the combine was 5'9" 200lbs. Your numbers aren't even right and my point remains the same. If Hillman does or does not get the job it has nothing to do with size. .. It will be because he knows blitz pickup or he doesn't.

The majority of players gain weight through their careers especially in the first few as many are still filling out as 21 year old kids.

Edit: I also noticed you managed to add weight totals to combine numbers for the guys who helped prove your point yet you dropped the numbers of Hillman?

Well actually I am just pulling those numbers off of Rotoworld. Weights may have changed, for instance I think Anderson may actually be down to 215.

RW & the Denver roster both have Hillman at 195. If he's bigger now, ok but I just don't see that anywhere and he doesn't strike me as that big (or even 195) on tv anyway.

I agree with your point about blocking skills being all that matters. Reggie Bush and Darren Sproles are 2 guys that definitely come to mind. -- But 1. Hillman has failed that test before, in 2012 and 2013, when presented the opportunity, and 2. like I said I can't think of any 195 lb primary backs in the NFL, except maybe Forsett who is kind of there on accident but maybe he's one. And that's for a reason, the smaller guys are typically overmatched over the course of a whole game.

Clam down man, it's not that serious, you don't need to have sex with another guy just because Ball burned you.

I'd never bang Peyton. I'm more a Rodgers guy

• Like 1

I'd never bang Peyton. I'm more a Rodgers guy

What about Glennon? Dude rocks.

• Like 1

I took the two guys that haven't had a chance to take the lead back role in Denver - Anderson and Juwanna because Hillman has had a few shots to claim that job and hasn't. Now that doesn't mean he steps in and finally stakes his claim this time but seems like these situations usually fall the way of the new blood. Rashad Jennings is a guy that bucked the trend and was a career backup that got another chance and ran with it but if I were a gambling man....and oh yeah I am.....I'll throw the money on the guys that haven't really got their chance yet.

dropped d.brown for him just to see how this shakes out this weekend. I have a feeling CJ might end up being the guy who gets the carries that matter. Hillman has disappointed any time he's had a chance to be the guy.

Great now you tell me! [as I zipper up my pants]

Meet C.J. Anderson, Denver Broncos RB Set to Break out This Summer

If you thought the Denver Broncos had a good offense last season, wait until you see the 2014 version.

This year, the Broncos look to be setting their sights on a more physical, balanced rushing attack. The move of Orlando Franklin to guard and the selection of wide receiver Cody Latimer in the second round are signs of that.

Latimer is an excellent blocker, and Franklin should be able to use his size to push defensive linemen backwards.

Peyton Manning posted astounding numbers in the passing game last season, but he doesn't need to set records for the offense to be better. A more physical, unpredictable offensive system could put any defense in the NFL on their heels given the weapons in Denver.

However, it will all start with the rushing attack.

Montee Ball should be in line for a huge season as the team's new feature back, but there is plenty of room behind him for a player to step up and become a key contributor this season.

Look no further than C.J. Anderson.

Anderson was used sparingly during his rookie season, but as an undrafted rookie, the odds were against him to even make the team. The Broncos saw something they liked, and Anderson even saw some action in the regular season.

With Ball and Knowshon Moreno both playing well last season, the Broncos didn't need to have Anderson do much. But with Moreno gone, there is a big hole in the Denver backfield.

Anderson may be the prime candidate to seize that role.

Though Anderson was only given seven carries during the regular season, he looked very good in his only extended action as a rookie—the team's preseason opener against San Francisco.

Yes, he was working against backups, but Anderson was still able to showcase some of the talent that led him to make the roster after going undrafted.

On a Denver drive in the third quarter of that game, Anderson gained 17 yards on a burst up the middle. Two plays later, he showed his ability to get to the outside, bouncing one out for 13 more yards.

In the fourth quarter, with third-string quarterback Zac Dysert lined up in the shotgun formation, Anderson took the handoff and rattled off 11 more yards. This play has been a staple of the Denver offense.

Anderson finished as the game's leading rusher, collecting 69 yards on 15 carries.

Fans who question what Anderson is capable will have all their answers by the time Denver wraps up the preseason this year.

In studying Anderson, a few things pop out.

He runs with a tremendous sense of determination. Using a low pad level, Anderson shows a downhill style and hits the hole hard.

But he also shows a lot of patience, letting his blocks develop in front of him. Anderson also demonstrates good anticipation and rarely is tackled for a loss.

In pass protection, he may not be the best blocking back in the league, but he certainly isn't bad. This is a key element in the Denver offense, and Anderson can get better through coaching.

As a receiver, Anderson only caught 22 passes in college. However, he only played in 25 games and wasn't asked to do it often.

Still, he made some huge plays as a receiver, including snagging a pass out of the air with one hand and racing for a long touchdown against Ohio State.

Manning likes a running back who can catch the ball out of the backfield, and this is an area of his game that has some promise.

The biggest bonus with Anderson is the fact that Denver doesn't need him to be great right now. If he isn't the No. 2 running back this season, all that means is that Ronnie Hillman stepped up and secured the spot.

The Broncos would probably prefer that, given the fact that Hillman was a third-round draft pick just two years ago. With that said, it will be hard for him to overcome the surging Anderson.

Anderson runs harder, sees the holes better and has the makeup of what the Broncos are trying to become—a more physical team.

A key for Denver in 2014 will be lining up and running the ball right at a defense. Last season, many of their run plays were either plays they audibled to or runs out of the shotgun formation.

This season, a more straight ahead, smashmouth style will make a defense like Seattle's have to rethink their strategy in defending the Broncos.

Anderson fits the mold, and unless he develops a fumbling problem like the one that cost Hillman playing time last year, he could easily be the backup to Ball going forward.

ESPN's Jeff Legwold doesn't seem to think all that highly of Anderson. In fact, he doesn't even think he'll make the roster. It seems the Broncos would have to have some very impressive play from more than one undrafted rookie for that to happen.

Anderson was a player hoping to make a roster last year. Now he is a player hungry for a substantial increase in playing time.

He won't be denied.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2140729-meet-cj-anderson-denver-broncos-rb-set-to-break-out-this-summer

- man, that kid Ball is a stiff.

one of the other 3 are gonna seize the reigns, and ride starter status for the duration.

3 horse race:

CJ - 2/1

Hillman - 7/2

Juwana Mama - 7/1

I put me a fin down on CJ.

• Like 1

So it looks like Hillman is the "starter". I have been holding CJ and Hillman all season. Hopefully one of them takes the lead. I guess I'm starting Sproles over both.

Did CJ see a snap today??? :dunno:

Don't know about a snap but nowhere near a touch. Hillman and Thompson. File Anderson into the "never was" category.