Sign in to follow this  
Forty Niner Homer

I'm so unlucky in FF

Delusional. The lot of you.

The amount of effect you have on the way the players play is 0. Absolutely 0.

You can't control when a coach pulls a RB out on the 1 yard line and lets the full back score.

You can't control if the QB throws to your wide open receiver in the endzone or not.

You can't control if a throw from your QB gets tipped by his receiver into the hands of a safety.

As much as you think you know about the game of football, there are still going to be as many times as not that the player you thought would do well will end up in a situation that prevents him from doing so despite alllllll the pre-game indications it was going to be a big day for him.

Your RB is going against the worst rushing defense in the NFL. Oh snap, his QB throws 2 picks for TDs in the first 2 drives and the opposing offense scores on their first 2. Your RB's team abandons the running game after the first half.

What skill is it you have that prevents that problem?

What skill is it you have that "knows" when your player is going to get injured the first play of the game?

What skill is it you have that you can predict when a 5th string WR is going to get 3 td's instead of the WR1 that you started?

There are smart ways to play fantasy football (not drafting too many "unknowns", getting a good mix of upside and stability, knowing when to drop an underperformer and when to hang on, having a good sense of when to grab a guy off waivers after a blow up week and when not to) and dumb ways to play fantasy football (drafting people just because you like the team they are on, rage dropping players week 1, drafting 3 kickers etc). These are not "skills". This is basic knowledge, especially in the day and age where you can find rankings and cheat sheets all over the place.

:first:

[/thread]

Delusional. The lot of you.

The amount of effect you have on the way the players play is 0. Absolutely 0.

You can't control when a coach pulls a RB out on the 1 yard line and lets the full back score.

You can't control if the QB throws to your wide open receiver in the endzone or not.

You can't control if a throw from your QB gets tipped by his receiver into the hands of a safety.

As much as you think you know about the game of football, there are still going to be as many times as not that the player you thought would do well will end up in a situation that prevents him from doing so despite alllllll the pre-game indications it was going to be a big day for him.

Your RB is going against the worst rushing defense in the NFL. Oh snap, his QB throws 2 picks for TDs in the first 2 drives and the opposing offense scores on their first 2. Your RB's team abandons the running game after the first half.

What skill is it you have that prevents that problem?

What skill is it you have that "knows" when your player is going to get injured the first play of the game?

What skill is it you have that you can predict when a 5th string WR is going to get 3 td's instead of the WR1 that you started?

There are smart ways to play fantasy football (not drafting too many "unknowns", getting a good mix of upside and stability, knowing when to drop an underperformer and when to hang on, having a good sense of when to grab a guy off waivers after a blow up week and when not to) and dumb ways to play fantasy football (drafting people just because you like the team they are on, rage dropping players week 1, drafting 3 kickers etc). These are not "skills". This is basic knowledge, especially in the day and age where you can find rankings and cheat sheets all over the place.

There is some luck and what you outlined is the luck part of it. However, if you think that you can just grab a cheatsheet and pick the players from that, then why doesn't everyone just do that? The reality is that the guys that create the cheatsheets don't know what guys are really going to score. You have to have an idea of which matchups are best and analyze trends. Most of the prognosticators have too many players to look at and it is a crap shoot for them. If you know your players and can see those trends better than your opponent, then you have increased your chances of winning.

To say that it is all luck would mean that everyone would essentially have the same chance of winning each week and each year. If that is the case, then why is it that, in so many leagues, you have the same teams who are in the hunt each year? It is because some people are more skillful than others and the luck portion doesn't hit them as bad as the less skillful guys.

• Like 1

I think you have thought highly of your "skill" and refuse to use the word "luck". Schedule draw is spin of wheel luck of draw. You still haven't answered what strategy leads you to win while other teams in your league lose even though they out scored you for the week. You had equal probability of drawing the bad matchup. It's math/statistics equal probability. It's a flip of your coin.

If this is true, then NFL football is all luck (or 90% luck or whatever random percentage you prefer).

Who you play, when you play them. All luck. Think I heard Belichick saying that after the lost to the Chiefs in week one.

If this is true, then NFL football is all luck (or 90% luck or whatever random percentage you prefer).

Who you play, when you play them. All luck. Think I heard Belichick saying that after the lost to the Chiefs in week one.

Guess what happens in real football. You get to play your freaking opponent and you can control the outcome.

Fantasy is not like that you have equal probability of playing the highest scoring team each week (assuming it's not you). And you have NOTHING TO DO WITH HOLDING YOUR OPPONENT BACK for scoring or reflect their performance in any way.

Only thing keeping you from playing the highest scoring team each week is CHANCE, pure chance.

I have already said it's not ALL luck.

How blatently ignorant are you people to keep claiming the NFL is the same, it's not...holy crap in the NFL it's a team game that you control the outcome of.

If you want to relate fantasy football luck of the draw to NFL I present to you.

This week Miami lost to Broncos 39 to 36. While 49ers won 17 to 13.

If the NFL was fantasy football, the 49ers could have randomly been matched up and had to outscore the Broncos and would have got crushed while the Miami could have cruised to an easy win against the Skins. But you say, that's not fair, the 49ers had no way to stop the Broncos....well no ###### welcome to fantasy footballs luck of the draw opponent matchups

Guess what happens in real football. You get to play your freaking opponent and you can control the outcome.

Fantasy is not like that you have equal probability of playing the highest scoring team each week (assuming it's not you). And you have NOTHING TO DO WITH HOLDING YOUR OPPONENT BACK for scoring or reflect their performance in any way.

Only thing keeping you from playing the highest scoring team each week is CHANCE, pure chance.

I have already said it's not ALL luck.

How blatently ignorant are you people to keep claiming the NFL is the same, it's not...holy crap in the NFL it's a team game that you control the outcome of.

If you want to relate fantasy football luck of the draw to NFL I present to you.

This week Miami lost to Broncos 39 to 36. While 49ers won 17 to 13.

If the NFL was fantasy football, the 49ers could have randomly been matched up and had to outscore the Broncos and would have got crushed while the Miami could have cruised to an easy win against the Skins. But you say, that's not fair, the 49ers had no way to stop the Broncos....well no ###### welcome to fantasy footballs luck of the draw opponent matchups

Point is the schedule is random for both FF and the NFL, as well as injuries. Would Denver had won last week if J. Thomas didn't go out early with an injury? Or Sanders later in the game? Denver couldn't control that. Lucky for the Rams those players got injured. Were the Bengals lucky to play against the Texans without Foster this week? The schedule can't be random for one and not the other. It is who you play and when you play them. Whether an NFL can affect their outcome does not change the randomness of the schedule or injuries. Does not being able to control thing mean then it is luck?

Point is the schedule is random for both FF and the NFL, as well as injuries. Would Denver had won last week if J. Thomas didn't go out early with an injury? Or Sanders later in the game? Denver couldn't control that. Lucky for the Rams those players got injured. Were the Bengals lucky to play against the Texans without Foster this week? The schedule can't be random for one and not the other. It is who you play and when you play them. Whether an NFL can affect their outcome does not change the randomness of the schedule or injuries. Does not being able to control thing mean then it is luck?

You just don't get it. You have luck of random schedules as you admit for both nfl and fantasy. Then throw in the fact that you do not have any way of stopping your opponent which is the biggest factor in scheduling. Equal probability of playing the highest scoring team. It's math it's statistics it's random luck when you win scoring low while others out scoring you lost. You simply got lucky in your random matchup

Do you guys understand the word probability and random and the fact that you and your opponent are INDEPENDENT from each other. Independent means nothing you do to your team can affect the performance outcome of your opponent. Completely different than the nfl

I think this is on some level some cannot mentally comprehend or playing dumb to troll

You just don't get it. You have luck of random schedules as you admit for both nfl and fantasy. Then throw in the fact that you do not have any way of stopping your opponent which is the biggest factor in scheduling. Equal probability of playing the highest scoring team. It's math it's statistics it's random luck when you win scoring low while others out scoring you lost. You simply got lucky in your random matchup

Do you guys understand the word probability and random and the fact that you and your opponent are INDEPENDENT from each other. Independent means nothing you do to your team can affect the performance outcome of your opponent. Completely different than the nfl

I think this is on some level some cannot mentally comprehend or playing dumb to troll

So there is no luck in the NFL, only FF. Got it.

I'm still waiting to understand how the draft is all luck, no skill. And drop/adds as well. All luck? I think not!

But explain away.

I'm still waiting to understand how the draft is all luck, no skill. And drop/adds as well. All luck? I think not!

But explain away.

Redraft you luck out on your draft slots that are random (random = luck). Everyone has had a time they said your lucky with 3rd pick, etc

Skill in who to pick when. Absolutely. Once season starts your draft can turn to crap by no fault if your own (see ADP or other random injuries to otherwise healthy players or even offensive line injuries can affect your picks like with falcons). Skill in your add/drops. Absolutely. Trades? Absolutely.

Redraft you luck out on your draft slots that are random (random = luck). Everyone has had a time they said your lucky with 3rd pick, etc

Skill in who to pick when. Absolutely. Once season starts your draft can turn to crap by no fault if your own (see ADP or other random injuries to otherwise healthy players or even offensive line injuries can affect your picks like with falcons). Skill in your add/drops. Absolutely. Trades? Absolutely.

"You're lucky with the #3 pick." Who was that this year? AP? McCoy? Peyton? The top 3 has proven as much a wash as other picks almost every year..

This year, I had draft picks at 2, 5, 6, and 8 and I am top 2 in scoring in every league and top 3 in record. But, as we've established, I'm lucky.

This thread topic has been around and around.

There is an element of skill to FF. People who draft well and work the WW can improve their chances of making the playoffs. I typically see the same owners in the playoffs year after year. The draft can't guarantee a win, however I can for sure guarantee if you reach too often on your draft, and you're a homer who drafts players who are on a team you like, then you're not going anywhere usually.

Then there is definitely an element of luck. Matchups, injuries, off field issues are always difficult to predict. We can debate what percentage is skill vs. luck, but there is a lot of chance required to win a league.

"You're lucky with the #3 pick." Who was that this year? AP? McCoy? Peyton? The top 3 has proven as much a wash as other picks almost every year..

This year, I had draft picks at 2, 5, 6, and 8 and I am top 2 in scoring in every league and top 3 in record. But, as we've established, I'm lucky.

Also depends on the scoring format of your league.

Top 3 picks in my league this year were: Seattle Defense, Lesean McCoy, Peyton Manning.

I'd say only 1 of those picks was worth the ADP.

You have elements of luck just accept it and don't think so highly of yourself. If there is no luck involved you should do this full time. You are so good you could retire after one week in Fanduel. Or put 100,000 grand down on a redraft league next summer

Then there is definitely an element of luck. Matchups, injuries, off field issues are always difficult to predict. We can debate what percentage is skill vs. luck, but there is a lot of chance required to win a league.

i just don't see how any of those things are luck...it's just a part of ff that everyone has to deal with...luck to me would be adding some additional elements to the game where you get to spin a wheel monday night and do whatever it would tell you, such as: add 10 pts to your final total, remove 15 pts from your total, subtract your qb pts, etc...to me that would be adding an element of luck to the game of ff

i just don't see how any of those things are luck...it's just a part of ff that everyone has to deal with...luck to me would be adding some additional elements to the game where you get to spin a wheel monday night and do whatever it would tell you, such as: add 10 pts to your final total, remove 15 pts from your total, subtract your qb pts, etc...to me that would be adding an element of luck to the game of ff

We have different definitions of luck then. I'm a huge stats guy, but there are some things that are just beyond your ability to predict. Tell that to the AP, Ray Rice, Megatron, McCoy, J.Thomas owners. You are essentially spinning a wheel as you're trying to predict who will be the best point-producer in your lineup game to game, but have no control over their final numbers. All you have is the probablity that a player with good past performances will continue to be good and consistent to mitigate some of the risk.

• Like 1

You are so good you could retire after one week in Fanduel. Or put 100,000 grand down on a redraft league next summer

I do do this well every year. I almost always (maybe over 90% of the time) make the playoffs. I don't always win the playoffs, but that's why I say it takes skill to get to the playoffs, and luck to win them. It takes skill to draft well and to do drop/add well and to manage your team through byes and with injuries. All to better your chances over the long of a season to score points and win with greater frequency than your opponents. Of course, once you've managed yourself to the playoffs, you are at the mercy of luck to win it. There are no more byes and fewer drop/adds. At that point, it only takes one off game by your team and one RB named Charles, for example, to end your season. But you were still there. I am every year. Others are rarely there. Guess they have bad luck.

As for FanDuel and the like...no real interest. I don't need the money and I spend an inordinate amount of time on this stuff as it is! Hence the posting at 2pm on a Monday.

:clap:

We have different definitions of luck then. I'm a huge stats guy, but there are some things that are just beyond your ability to predict. Tell that to the AP, Ray Rice, Megatron, McCoy, J.Thomas owners. You are essentially spinning a wheel as you're trying to predict who will be the best point-producer in your lineup game to game, but have no control over their final numbers. All you have is the probablity that a player with good past performances will continue to be good and consistent to mitigate some of the risk.

i agree about the definition issue and i think i'm having the same problem with murf as well

i just view ff as a strategy game like any type of borad game...as long as everyone playing is on equal footing with all the rules then i don't see how luck is a part of the game...if there were elements to the game that would give someone an unfair advantage due to something random (spin the wheel, pick a card, etc) like i stated in my post above, then i could see how luck would play a huge roll in the outcome of the weekly matchups

I'll tell you this, I think few people, outside of those on this board of course, fully understand the scoring and lineup rules prior to their draft. They may no the better players, but they don't put the right value on them based on the scoring and lineup requirements. For example, one of my 2-QB leagues, the QB scoring is high so I grabbed QBs quickly. I saw WRs were devalued and I waited. I'm lucky like that!

• Like 1

i agree about the definition issue and i think i'm having the same problem with murf as well

i just view ff as a strategy game like any type of borad game...as long as everyone playing is on equal footing with all the rules then i don't see how luck is a part of the game...if there were elements to the game that would give someone an unfair advantage due to something random (spin the wheel, pick a card, etc) like i stated in my post above, then i could see how luck would play a huge roll in the outcome of the weekly matchups

K a game like Chess, is 100% skill, if played correctly, luck does not factor in. Games like Monopoly, or Texas Hold 'em are games of chance where you can increase your statistical probability of winning by being a good player and understanding the odds, however there is always an element of chance in random card draws that can let a bad player with a statistically poor hand win. i think FF is more like the latter, good owners can better their overall probablity of winning, but the random element of chance is how your player will perform game to game, among other factors that are difficult to predict (injuries, off field issues, team game plans, coaching personnel decisions, etc.)

• Like 1

I'll tell you this, I think few people, outside of those on this board of course, fully understand the scoring and lineup rules prior to their draft. They may no the better players, but they don't put the right value on them based on the scoring and lineup requirements. For example, one of my 2-QB leagues, the QB scoring is high so I grabbed QBs quickly. I saw WRs were devalued and I waited. I'm lucky like that!

That sure isn't "skill" either...

K a game like Chess, is 100% skill, if played correctly, luck does not factor in. Games like Monopoly, or Texas Hold 'em are games of chance where you can increase your statistical probability of winning by being a good player and understanding the odds, however there is always an element of chance in random card draws that can let a bad player with a statistically poor hand win. i think FF is more like the latter, good owners can better their overall probablity of winning, but the random element of chance is how your player will perform game to game, among other factors that are difficult to predict (injuries, off field issues, team game plans, coaching personnel decisions, etc.)

good thoughts, i just think that in ff everyone has to deal with the same issues throughout the season and there isn't anything that gives any one player an advantage over their opponent

everyone has an equal chance to suck or succeed

That sure isn't "skill" either...

I know!! That someone can draft better, from any position, is clearly much luck.

:overhead:

Holy crap was that a good post. well put. :clap: :first:

I do do this well every year. I almost always (maybe over 90% of the time) make the playoffs. I don't always win the playoffs, but that's why I say it takes skill to get to the playoffs, and luck to win them. It takes skill to draft well and to do drop/add well and to manage your team through byes and with injuries. All to better your chances over the long of a season to score points and win with greater frequency than your opponents. Of course, once you've managed yourself to the playoffs, you are at the mercy of luck to win it. There are no more byes and fewer drop/adds. At that point, it only takes one off game by your team and one RB named Charles, for example, to end your season. But you were still there. I am every year. Others are rarely there. Guess they have bad luck.

As for FanDuel and the like...no real interest. I don't need the money and I spend an inordinate amount of time on this stuff as it is! Hence the posting at 2pm on a Monday.

:clap:

I like you almost never miss out on the playoffs, there is a great deal you can control with your team (draft well, play waivers well, stream well, trade well, add depth, know when to cut dead weight etc.

I probably agree with almost everyone has to say about making your team better with preparation and skill throughout a 14 game regular season. My only disagreement is those that somehow think who you play against from week to week has no bearing on how well you do in fantasy football. And you you play against is random luck of the draw. For example in my larger money league, I won this week but there were 3 other teams I would have lost to. So how great was my win? If I play those other 3 guys I feel like ###### yet my team performed exactly the same. I didn't keep my opponents score low, and those that lost to the 3 higher scoring teams didn't do anything wrong to be screwed having the tougher matchup.

I mean, it's all luck from week to week. It usually evens out and it allows the "skill" you put into it to take over. It's the reason like you said I along with the same rotation of guys always make the playoffs in our leagues. The others just don't have the fantasy "it" factor.

You say that playoffs are luck to win, but why is that? It's the same luck as it takes to win each and every week. No difference at all except if you lose you are out. But same "luck" crap stuff that happens in the playoffs happen every single week.

I don't even "play" against my opponent. My goal is only to score as much as I can. For each league, I have a point total. Though they get there with far different lineups and scoring, for my main two leagues my goal is 200. Top that and you are almost sure to win. I liken it to scoring 40 in the NFL. Score that and odds are you win. Not always, but mostly. The difference in the real football and fantasy is, of course, that my team doesn't have an impact on what the other team scores. I'll grant you that that random draw impacts a win or a loss in a given week, but my goal is to score points. if I hit that 200, I likely win. If I don't, I need more luck. The "hard" part is when I score over 200 and still lose. THAT is bad luck! LOL

HTH leagues are just the illusion of competition. Although I hate total points leagues, because teams that score consistent points week to week don't necessarily get into the playoffs, most of the time the teams with the most total points in HTH leagues are the same ones that are winning week to week.

So if this is just the illusion of competition to give your team a "record" against an opponent with a random assortment of players that in no way impacts the performance of your players, there is indeed some skill involved in selecting better players week to week. That said, there is certainly luck involved as you need your team to outscore a fictitious "opponent" in any given week.

Really, you could just as effectivley play Fantasy football against a computer, with total points, but for most of us that would be boring and misses out on the element of competition and trash talking that comes from being in a league with guys you know.

definition of skill - the ability, coming from one's knowledge, practice, aptitude, etc., to do something well

draft a good team - not a skill, luck

managing your team - not a skill, luck

making the playoffs more than the rest - not a skill, luck

There is only one league were I had an extended period of losing. Then I stopped drinking before during and after the draft. Won three of the next four years (from the middle and end of the draft, not 1,2 or 3). I was so lucky that I stopped drinking.

To say that it is all luck would mean that everyone would essentially have the same chance of winning each week and each year. If that is the case, then why is it that, in so many leagues, you have the same teams who are in the hunt each year? It is because some people are more skillful than others and the luck portion doesn't hit them as bad as the less skillful guys.

Do the other people in the league have basic knowledge of how to set a line up and make simple judgements about player situations and match ups?

The answer is probably no.

In my league, the guys who are in last place every year tend to drop players for ridiculous reasons and overthink things or not think about anything at all. They are also the ones who tend to not pay attention to injuries and have 1 or 2 games where they forget to start a full line up.

Over the course of the year, using your basic knowledge when other people don't gives you an enough of a boost to generally leave you in the top half of the league each year.

Bad in fantasy football = Not knowing much about football and teams and not paying attention

Good in fantasy football = Knowing some stuff about football and the teams and paying attention

Not really a skill.

Nobody said FF was all luck in this thread. We've clearly established that someone with FF experience and football knowledge is going to have a better chance at building a successful team.

Clearly the DRAFT where you pick your players is a critical piece. How often have you attended a draft where some newbie comes on board, gets flustered and continues to make off-the-board ###### tier picks? Or you have some homer, who is so obsessed with his team they way over-reach to draft a bunch of players from that team. How often does this work out? Right now said newbie is dead last, and the homer is second last in his division. Case in point, the newbie panicked after week 4 and traded away Brady and McCoy, and Gerhart, for RG3, Jennings, and Spiller. If the newb had ridden Brady, he might still be in the playoff hunt, luck doesn't make a guy pull the trigger on a sh1t trade like that.

Then we come to the Waiver Wire, where some people just seem to sort by total points, and pick up the guy with the highest total stat line, paying no attention to average ppg or if that player just happened to fluke out and blow up for one game, inflating his totals. Or a bunch of mid-tier teams don't even make any WW moves at all during the year, and don't attempt to trade their way out of a bad situation.

There is definitely luck involved in winning it all (something I have not accomplished yet in my league) but I've been deep in the playoffs 9/10 years. That said, you can spot the good owners, typically they're the ones who aren't gettng laughed out of the room in the draft and are working their WW/Lineup & making value trades that improve their team.

definition of skill - the ability, coming from one's knowledge, practice, aptitude, etc., to do something well

draft a good team - not a skill, luck

managing your team - not a skill, luck

making the playoffs more than the rest - not a skill, luck

There is only one league were I had an extended period of losing. Then I stopped drinking before during and after the draft. Won three of the next four years (from the middle and end of the draft, not 1,2 or 3). I was so lucky that I stopped drinking.

Wow! Rarely do you see someone lay out an argument (in this case, a definition) and then so clearly defeat their own effort.

Skill: an ability, from knowledge, practice, or aptitude to do something well

Then let's lay out some scenarios where one makes decisions - drafting and managing teams - and try to force fit that definition into them? Ridiculous.

And to make it even better? To say that your resources (your skill) were impeded by alcohol and you lost, but when you stopped drinking you won. So, did the excessive alcohol make you unlucky or unskillfull? Clearly, it did not impact your luck.

Unreal.

Wow! Rarely do you see someone lay out an argument (in this case, a definition) and then so clearly defeat their own effort.

Skill: an ability, from knowledge, practice, or aptitude to do something well

Then let's lay out some scenarios where one makes decisions - drafting and managing teams - and try to force fit that definition into them? Ridiculous.

And to make it even better? To say that your resources (your skill) were impeded by alcohol and you lost, but when you stopped drinking you won. So, did the excessive alcohol make you unlucky or unskillfull? Clearly, it did not impact your luck.

Unreal.

Forgive him. He fell off the wagon.

• Like 1

When you're second in the league in points but are about to be eliminated from playoff contention with a week remaining, is that luck or skill?

• Like 1

Many people claim this scenario. Not sure how many are really true. I can see top half in scoring and also top half in scoring against a team to drive them towards the bottom, but to be second in scoring and losing so much to be eliminated? Tough to produce. But, it does happen to VERY many here in this forearm, that's for sure!

For example, my friend is 5th (of 10) in scoring. He has a decent team. But, he is last in points against, by a good margin. He's 2-9 and done. Scored on like a $5 who-are. But he is only 5th in scoring. Hence the 9th place finish and home for the holidays.

I'm first in scoring. Also by a good margin. I'm 4th in PA, but with a 10-2 record and in first place.

4 years not one championship

Once in playoffs

This year currently 4-7

Need to win out and score HUGE Points

And need the 3 teams ahead of me 5-6

To lose !!

So glad to see my trend of crappy draft picks

And follow my gut calls put me in such a spot again just sharing

Sorry to read this dude. The only advice I would give is this- I rarely read projection/rankings from the so called experts because they mostly say the same thing and they copy each other so why bother. I've been pretty successful winning 4 championships in the past several years (I play in two leagues only) by listening to my gut, my instincts, look at the match ups, and talk to my friends here at this site for perspective.

Sorry to read this dude. The only advice I would give is this- I rarely read projection/rankings from the so called experts because they mostly say the same thing and they copy each other so why bother. I've been pretty successful winning 4 championships in the past several years (I play in two leagues only) by listening to my gut, my instincts, look at the match ups, and talk to my friends here at this site for perspective.

you're one lucky guy

Unreal.

Or just as unreal, people blaming bad luck for bad decision making. I guess it is easier to blame bad luck then to blame oneself.

you're one lucky guy

I'm not very this year. I'm 6-6 in both leagues. I may make the playoffs in one and definitely not in the other. I previously mentioned here I traded my Lacy for Megatron and that move may cost me any chance this year. You can see my lineup in my signature. I have great WRs but mediocre everywhere else. If I win this week I'm in so you never know. I may repeat if I don't keep benching the wrong people.

When you're second in the league in points but are about to be eliminated from playoff contention with a week remaining, is that luck or skill?

it's a skill to be that unlucky