Sign in to follow this  
naomi

From a diplomatic perspective

Emphasis on diplomatic, not necessarily rational. Does this count as provocation? eta: tension stoking, not provocation with a big P.

North Korea is nuts. There's things I wouldn't jokingly say around some people I know who have mental issues. I'm not suggesting Kim Jong Un thinks Americans may aim to assassinate him, but when you know someone is easily set off, in a very disproportionate manner, you stay clear of mocking them, for instance. On the diplomatic level it's the same deal, just nation to nation.

The major Sony cyber hack may be NoKo's doing.

When news of the film emerged in June, North Korea vowed "merciless counter-measures" if it were released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frsvWVEHowg

Does a movie starring James Franco count as a major event on the world geopolitical stage?

I'm gonna have to go with "no".

It's tasteless to produce something masses will take in where it's a joke about assassinating another nation's leader. It's more palatable if there's obvious aggressive animosity (then it can seem motivated out of patriotism and unity) but even then I don't think we've done it.

You could see NoKo doing the flip side of this movie about our POTUS...and that is my point.

I'm not saying it's a major event. I'm thinking that if you come at it from a purely diplomatic standpoint, and consider the plot, it's just dumb as hell. It only makes it worse that the movie looks like crap too.

Maybe we can have a movie where we send Terry Jones as our ambassador to Islamic State (Not the Monty Python Terry Jones, I mean send the other one, but the Monty Python Jones could write it if he wants.)

so, how do you feel about Inglourious Basterds.?

Like I was saying...more palatable when there's clearly defined and purposed animosity, then it comes across like patriotism. There's no pretension of honoring that nation as it currently is. You're openly unified against that enemy. In another sense, IB was so many decades later that it's different for that reason alone too.

so, how do you feel about Inglourious Basterds.?

Well written and well acted. :thumbsup:

Like I was saying...more palatable when there's clearly defined and purposed animosity, then it comes across like patriotism. There's no pretension of honoring that nation as it currently is. You're openly unified against that enemy. In another sense, IB was so many decades later that it's different for that reason alone too.

You really need to get laid or something :(

Countdown til one of the forearm fake outrage crybabies finds the Obummer angle in this thread?

ETA: Called it.

Clearly Obama is to blame for Seth Rogan's climb to stardom.

That would at least provide some explanation for it.

You really need to get laid or something :(

Why stoke tensions when we already have a lot on our plate, let alone for the sake of a crappy movie. It's Sony's right either way. I'm not worried North Korea wants to nuke us for it, but not treating a nation diplomatically in peace time is foolish.

Why stoke tensions when we already have a lot on our plate, let alone for the sake of a crappy movie. It's Sony's right either way. I'm not worried North Korea wants to nuke us for it, but not treating a nation diplomatically in peace time is foolish.

1. Yes it's Sony. What, are they supposed to be forbidden from making this movie? Hell they aren't even a US company anyway :wacko:

2. North Korea is an isolated rogue state, it's not like we're thumbing our noses at Germany here

3. You seem to think this is the first movie to ever portray a grudge against another country we aren't actively at war with? Hell Team America already did just that with North Korea specifically

You're an odd duck.

The US government didn't make this film and doesn't need to apologize to a totalitarian state whenever it's citizens or it's film studios make a tasteless film or youtube video. Free Speech is non-negotiable.

No US government official should bother to pick up the phone to call any Sony executive about it. Both sides know the deal well. The State Department should patiently explain to North Korea how things work around here.

I'd rather not see the US government limit a Hollywood studio's free speech rights than bow to the pressure of North Korea. It's the exact same way I feel about angry Muslims getting butthurt about cartoons or youtube videos. Piss off.

Also, Borat is diplomatically much, much worse, (but likely ten times funnier, although that's unfair to say before the movie is even released).

1. Yes it's Sony. What, are they supposed to be forbidden from making this movie? Hell they aren't even a US company anyway :wacko:

2. North Korea is an isolated rogue state, it's not like we're thumbing our noses at Germany here

3. You seem to think this is the first movie to ever portray a grudge against another country we aren't actively at war with? Hell Team America already did just that with North Korea specifically

You're an odd duck.

You quote me saying that it's Sony's right either way, and then you suggest I think they should have been forbidden to make it? And then you use the :wacko: face?

Wasn't Team America about a lot of different farcical things? I haven't seen it.

The US government didn't make this film and doesn't need to apologize to a totalitarian state whenever it's citizens or it's film studios make a tasteless film or youtube video. Free Speech is non-negotiable.

No US government official should bother to pick up the phone to call any Sony executive about it. Both sides know the deal well. The State Department should patiently explain to North Korea how things work around here.

I'd rather not see the US government limit a Hollywood studio's free speech rights than bow to the pressure of North Korea. It's the exact same way I feel about angry Muslims getting butthurt about cartoons or youtube videos. Piss off.

Also, Borat is diplomatically much, much worse, (but likely ten times funnier, although that's unfair to say before the movie is even released).

Yeah I'm not advocating that...that's IGW's interpretation of me saying it was Sony's right to make this movie, which would include the right for American based affiliates to be involved.

As far as limiting it, if greenlighting the project came down to my role at a company like that, I wouldn't be for it. It's civically ideal to me that that principle would seem wise to others too, but that's a whole different approach than legally limiting the freedom to make the crap.

Yeah I'm not advocating that...that's IGW's interpretation of me saying it was Sony's right to make this movie, which would include the right for American based affiliates to be involved.

As far as limiting it, if greenlighting the project came down to my role at a company like that, I wouldn't be for it. It's civically ideal to me that that principle would seem wise to others too, but that's a whole different approach than legally limiting the freedom to make the crap.

Its a stupid Seth Rogan movie.