Sign in to follow this  
Skinny_Bastard

The Running QB

"Former NFL GM and current ESPN analyst Bill Polian believes "what we’re seeing this year is the incredible erosion of the running quarterback."

NFL.com draft guru Gil Brandt agrees, saying "I think we’re slowly, slowly going back to the age of pocket quarterbacks." Specifically, Colin Kaepernick and Cam Newton have been two of the least-accurate quarterbacks in the league this season, and they've noticeably regressed or flatlined as passers. Both have cannons for arms, but don't display the touch and aren't making plays with their legs due to injuries or the realization by the coaching staffs that it's not worth the unnecessary hits after seeing Robert Griffin III tear up his knee in 2012 and ankle in 2014. SI's Peter King has a good read on the topic accessible at the link below."

The running and scrambling QB are fun and exciting but we all know it rarely works over time.

Why? Because the OUTLET to run is always there. Instead of going through your progression, they take off after the first read which limit their ability to develop into a true pocket passer.

Agree with this. When you look at Rodgers and Luck, two very successful "running" QB, you see big guys who run only after going through the progressions and finding a clear alley, or on very specifically designed run plays where they know to avoid contact if things go south.

When a player has spent his entire life relying on his legs and athleticism to elevate him above the competition, it's irrational to think that he won't resort to that first and foremost just because he's in the NFL. You can preach patience all you want, but the mind and body are going to react to situations. You could see it in Manziel's brief appearance last week. People think that stuff is exciting, and it is until the QB gets killed and/or starts tossing INTs late across the middle.

I think Wilson may be the rare exception, as his football IQ seem higher than the others. I attribute some of that to the fact that he played baseball, the ultimate patience sport, at a fairly high level. But I wonder when the day comes and he doesn't have the dominant defense and running game if he'll be able to make the transition.

Raiders will take Winston #1 overall

And they'll be searching for another QB in 2 years. They need to let Carr develop first. Give him a chance.

"Former NFL GM and current ESPN analyst Bill Polian believes "what we’re seeing this year is the incredible erosion of the running quarterback."

NFL.com draft guru Gil Brandt agrees, saying "I think we’re slowly, slowly going back to the age of pocket quarterbacks." Specifically, Colin Kaepernick and Cam Newton have been two of the least-accurate quarterbacks in the league this season, and they've noticeably regressed or flatlined as passers. Both have cannons for arms, but don't display the touch and aren't making plays with their legs due to injuries or the realization by the coaching staffs that it's not worth the unnecessary hits after seeing Robert Griffin III tear up his knee in 2012 and ankle in 2014. SI's Peter King has a good read on the topic accessible at the link below."

The running and scrambling QB are fun and exciting but we all know it rarely works over time.

Why? Because the OUTLET to run is always there. Instead of going through your progression, they take off after the first read which limit their ability to develop into a true pocket passer.

And if you look at Kaep case he has a lot of good talent to throw the ball to . No question I agree and have always .

Not a running QB so really doesn't fit into this discussion. That said, I doubt they waste the Carr pick on a guy with so many questions. He hasn't done a thing to help his draft stock this season.

I believe he won't be even the first QB taken, with Petty/Baylor the front runner in that category.

Not a running QB so really doesn't fit into this discussion. That said, I doubt they waste the Carr pick on a guy with so many questions. He hasn't done a thing to help his draft stock this season.

I believe he won't be even the first QB taken, with Petty/Baylor the front runner in that category.

136 rushes in 2 years isn't running? :wacko:

Russell Wilson has 187 in his 1st 2 years and played more games per season.

Good call there chief!

Not a chance, as Al Davis is terra firma. Reggie Mac will probably go DL at #1, maybe the kid from USC. Or they trade down and take an OT early to mid 1st round.

As for the topic... Grew up watching Fran Tarkenton and Roger Staubach as a young kid. But obviously they didn't play in today's era of 300 monsters who run a 4.6 40. I remember Rich Gannons's first year with the Raiders, he scrambled for something like 600 yards and was a real weapon with his legs. However he took a beating and every year hence his running totals decreased dramatically.The team wanted to protect him and he eventually became an NFL MVP running Gruden's offense.

136 rushes in 2 years isn't running? :wacko:

Russell Wilson has 187 in his 1st 2 years and played more games per season.

Good call there chief!

With a career average of 2.2 per carry. Wilson's career average is 6.1. Tebow retired as the SEC leader in dozens of passing categories. Did that make him a passing QB?

And you do understand that in the NCAA, sacks or any tackle behind the line of scrimmage on a QB count as rushing attempts?

The kid's frame has changed considerably since entering college. With a healthy ankle he's mobile enough to move in the pocket and even extend plays. But there's no way you can compare him with a Griffin or any of the other prototypes they've touted over the last few years.

Maybe you should understand the stats or have watched the player enough to understand his game before making your call, chief.

Raiders won't take him #1 either, but you've made a wonderful contribution to the discussion.

Come on ed, the NCAA figured the kid out after 1 season. 8 TDs and 11 picks in last 5 games. His NFL career is going to be short and painful.

I am predicting he falls to the late teens.

I know it's cool to pile on Kaepernick these days but, he actually has a higher completion percentage than guys like Stafford and Foles all while SF receivers are among the league leaders in drops with 22 (5.8% drop rate). Kaep and Wilson are basically having the same years passing but, Wilson is making much better decisions with his legs. Ironic considering the subject of this thread.

That said Kaep definitely needs to play better and continue grow his game. Not regress like it looks like he has numerous times this season.

Kaep does need to play better but you're right, his O-Line and receivers haven't helped much this year. Vernon Davis hasn't done anything all year either. Watching some of the games, it seems like that offense is so boring and predictable to watch. They rarely even have Kaep run it anymore. I think Greg Roman may be (and should be)seeing the door at the end of this year.