Sign in to follow this  
wizbang

'Reality Week' starts in three days.

This is the week we are reminded that our final rosters will likely turn over by 50-75%. Guys we just gotta have will turn into sh-tbags. A stud or two will get hurt. The concussion protocol will cause roster balance issues and force tough decisions and the bye weeks will begin to look insurmountable as you scramble to see a non-embarrassing starting lineup.

Some false optimism lessons I think we learn:

1. Rookie QB were high picks in part because of their talent. But the other side of that equation is the team picking them. It takes two and the second half was picking that high because they sucked. TB couldn't run the ball. Tennessee couldn't pass or run the ball. Neither will change: Martin, Sankey, Kendall Wright will struggle. TB receiver balance might flip back from Evans to VJax.

2. Jimmy Graham owners will be reminded the Seattle offense is about two people, Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch. Wilson will drive home this point with a rollout scramble walk in TD on a play where Brees would have tossed it to Jimmy every single time.

3. Chris Ivory is the same mediocre runner in the same mediocre offense. Volume doesn't solve every problem.

4. Reuben Randall is not a good football player.

5. Carlos Hyde was mediocre on a decent team. He will be something less on the worst team in football.

6. After years of greatness Roddy White officially became a possession receiver last year.

7. Andre Johnson was outshined by Hopkins last year, badly. Even the greats aren't completely ageless.

8. Rex Ryan is a destroyer of fantasy football. Sammy Watkins and LeSean McCoy are squarely in his sights.

This is the week we are reminded that our final rosters will likely turn over by 50-75%. Guys we just gotta have will turn into sh-tbags. A stud or two will get hurt. The concussion protocol will cause roster balance issues and force tough decisions and the bye weeks will begin to look insurmountable as you scramble to see a non-embarrassing starting lineup.

Some false optimism lessons I think we learn:

1. Rookie QB were high picks in part because of their talent. But the other side of that equation is the team picking them. It takes two and the second half was picking that high because they sucked. TB couldn't run the ball. Tennessee couldn't pass or run the ball. Neither will change: Martin, Sankey, Kendall Wright will struggle. TB receiver balance might flip back from Evans to VJax.

2. Jimmy Graham owners will be reminded the Seattle offense is about two people, Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch. Wilson will drive home this point with a rollout scramble walk in TD on a play where Brees would have tossed it to Jimmy every single time.

3. Chris Ivory is the same mediocre runner in the same mediocre offense. Volume doesn't solve every problem.

4. Reuben Randall is not a good football player.

5. Carlos Hyde was mediocre on a decent team. He will be something less on the worst team in football.

6. After years of greatness Roddy White officially became a possession receiver last year.

7. Andre Johnson was outshined by Hopkins last year, badly. Even the greats aren't completely ageless.

8. Rex Ryan is a destroyer of fantasy football. Sammy Watkins and LeSean McCoy are squarely in his sights.

I completely disagree with #2. What an absolute dumb trade and waste of an awesome center if the team decides to use Graham for what? Blocking? Did they trade for him and his large salary to have him block or just catch a few passes a game?

I completely disagree with #2 as well... They didn't pay all that money and trade for a decoy or a blocker lol... Just because in the past that's what Wilson did doesn't mean it will be now lol don't jump on most of the bandwagon of the fantsay experts just because Brees isn't throwing to him now lol he may not post the amount of yardage this year but his mismatch in the Redzone is very much the same mismatch as it was before lol graham hasn't changed

I can't wait to scoop up all the players from ADHD owners who give up on a player after one week. :banana:

After insisting that Percy Harvin is not for sale, the Minnesota Vikings have shifted course.

Fox Sports insider and NFL Network contributor Jay Glazer reported on Monday that the Vikings have agreed to a trade that will send Harvin to the Seattle Seahawks for a trio of draft picks. Once Harvin passes a physical, the Vikings will receive the Seahawks' first-round (No. 25 overall) and seventh-round selections in 2013, along with a mid-round pick in 2014.

...and hey, these are just my predictions. Was hoping to see some others.

Disagree with Doug Martin struggling. His running after contact ability is back.

I'm high on Doug Martin. Got him on 3 of 4 teams.

After insisting that Percy Harvin is not for sale, the Minnesota Vikings have shifted course.

Fox Sports insider and NFL Network contributor Jay Glazer reported on Monday that the Vikings have agreed to a trade that will send Harvin to the Seattle Seahawks for a trio of draft picks. Once Harvin passes a physical, the Vikings will receive the Seahawks' first-round (No. 25 overall) and seventh-round selections in 2013, along with a mid-round pick in 2014.

...and hey, these are just my predictions. Was hoping to see some others.

Completely different situation. Harvin is a locker room cancer. With this logic we should just treat every single trade the same and assume they all end up with the same result

10 I will add another:

Latavius will have a few eye popping games and then the rigors of playing full time in the NFL will bring him back down to earth.

Completely different situation. Harvin is a locker room cancer. With this logic we should just treat every single trade the same and assume they all end up with the same result

It's as perfectly analogous a situation as you will ever find in professional sports and could only be more so if Jimmy Graham's name were in fact Percy Harvin.

But hey, doesn't mean it plays out the same as nothing is ever completely predictable.

It's as perfectly analogous a situation as you will ever find in professional sports and could only be more so if Jimmy Graham's name were in fact Percy Harvin.

But hey, doesn't mean it plays out the same as nothing is ever completely predictable.

Ok

I love it when reality hits. All this talk and speculation goes right out the window. It's great going back and reading "this team should win at least 10 games" stuff on now terrible teams. The real reality week is week 2. Week 1 is like opposite week or overreaction week. Ah FF, every preseason you trick me into thinking you aren't 80% luck.