Sign in to follow this  
Voltaire

***Geek Club History Draft***

edit; for housekeeping purposes, my first post on each page will also be a cut and paste of the draft sequence so people don't get lost and hamster issues prevent access to page one

The picks:

1.1 Volty - Leonardo da Vinci - Jack-of-all-Trades
1.2 TBBOM - Jesus Christ - Religious Leader
1.3 BPB - Sun Tzu - General (Strategical)
1.4 Vudu- Albert Einstein - Scientist (Physics)
2.1 Vudu- Johann Sebastian Bach - Composer
2.2 BPB - Stephen Hawking - Scientist (Astronomy)
2.3S -90sb- Charles Babbage - Engineer
2.4S -90sb- Leonhard Euler - Mathematician
2.5 TBBOM - Queen Elizabeth I - Great Woman
2.6 Volty - Michelangelo - Artist (Visual)
3.1 Volty - William Shakespeare - Poet
3.2 TBBOM - Nicola Tesla - Scientist (Physics)
3.3 BPB - Alexander the Great - General (Tactical)
3.4 Vudu - Nelson Mandela - Criminal
3.5 90sb - Orville and Wilbur Wright - Inventor
4.1 90sb - Henry Ford - Businessman
4.2 Vudu - The Beatles - Artist (Performing)
4.3 BPB - Genghis Khan - Conquerer
4.4 TBBOM - Atilla the Hun - Conquerer
4.5 Volty - Christopher Columbus - Explorer
5.1 Volty - Charles Darwin - Scientist (Biology)
5.2 TBBOM - Marco Polo - Explorer
5.3 BPB - Thomas Edison - Inventor
5.4 Vudu - Napoleon Bonaparte - General (Strategist)
6.1 Vudu - Vlad the Impaler - Evil Motherfocker
6.2 BPB - Earnest Hemingway - Writer
6.3 TBBOM - Aristotle - Philosopher
6.4 Volty - Cleopatra - Seductress
7.1 Volty - Adam Smith - Social Scientist
7.2 TBBOM - Horatio Nelson - Admiral
7.3 BPB - Abraham Lincoln - Statesman
7.4S 90sb - J. Robert Oppenheimer - Scientist (Physics)
7.5S 90sb - Roger L. Easton - Inventor
7.6 vudu - Michael Jordan - Athlete
7.7 90sb - Robert E. Lee - General (tactical)
8.1 90sb - Tamerlane - Conqurer
8.2 vudu - Neil Armstrong - Explorer
8.3 BPB - Steve Jobs - Businessman
8.4 TBBOM - Homer - Poet
8.5 Volty - Martin Luther - Reformer
9.1 Volty - Hannibal - General (Tactical)
9.2 TBBOM - Otto von Bismark - Advisor
9.3 BPB - Jaquin Guzman - Criminal
9.4 Vudu - Johannes Guttenberg - Inventor
9.5 90sb - Adolph Hitler - Evil Motherfocker
10.1 90sb - Julius Caesar - General (Strategical)
10.2 Vudu- Joan of Arc - Great Woman
10.3 BPB - Robin Williams - Talk Show Guest
10.4 TBBOM - Joseph Stalin - Evil Motherfocker
10.5 Volty - Augustus Caesar - Administrator
11.1 Volty - Subutai - General (Strategical)
11.2 TBBOM - Hippocrates - Doctor
11.3 BPB - Jacques Cousteau - Explorer
11.4 Vudu - George Washington - Statesman
11.5 90sb - Plato - Philosopher
12.1 90sb - Alexander Fleming - Doctor
12.2 Vudu - Marilyn Monroe - Wildcard
12.3 BPB - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Composer
12.4 TBBOM - Winston Churchill - Statesman
12.5 Volty - Ludwig von Beethoven - Composer
13.1 Volty - Thomas Jefferson - Thinker
13.2 TBBOM - Erwin Rommel - General (Strategic)
13.3 BPB - Marie Curie - Great Woman
13.4 Vudu - Galileo Galilei - Scientist (Astronomy)
13.5 90sb - Teddy Roosevelt - Statesman
14.1 90sb - Ronald Reagan - Artist (Performing)
14.2 Vudu - Louis Pasteur - Scientist (Microbiology)
14.3 BPB - Charles Dickens - Writer
14.4 TBBOM - Mohammed - Religious Leader
14.5 Volty - Isaac Newton - Scientist (Physics)
15.1 Volty - Jim Thorpe - Athlete
15.2 TBBOM - Wellington (Arthur Wellesley) General (Strategic)
15.3 BPB - Catherine the Great - Great Woman
15.4 Vudu - Benjamin Franklin - Jack-of-all-Trades
15.5 90sb - Amelia Earhart - Great Woman
16.1 90sb - Sacajawea - Great Woman
16.2 Vudu -
16.3 BPB -
16.4 TBBOM -
16.5 Volty -
17.1 Volty -
17.2 TBBOM -
17.3 BPB -

edit; for housekeeping purposes, my first post on each page will also be a cut and paste of the draft sequence so people don't get lost and hamster issues prevent access to page one

oh, that's a nice shade of orange. Sticks out a lot better than yellow.

---------

For 90sbaby ...

11.5 Plato - Philosopher
12.1 Alexander Fleming - Doctor

Wildcard

Marilyn Monroe. The world's first sex symbol.

THE iconic blonde, a temptress in her own right, a so so actress and a hot piece of AAAYYesss.

PMed TBBOM but no response. 9:40 AM in China, I gotta think he's in class teaching right now. I will be soon myself. Hopefully we can bounce it back to you before the Lions game ends.

Ludwig Von Beethoven - Composer

My worst category. When Bach went, I promised myself if I had any hope of being competitive here, I'd have to grab Mozart or Beethoven as soon as the other was chosen. A little earlier than I wanted but I scrapped one of the planned choices for this corner to make it so.

Thomas Jefferson - Thinker

Erwin Rommel - strategic general

Saddled with a useless Italian ally, and poor resupply lines and inferior resources, the desert fox led the British on a merry dance back and forth across North Africa.

He also led the defense of Normandy, and was doing it well. The allies did not break out until after he was wounded.

Erwin Rommel - strategic general

Saddled with a useless Italian ally, and poor resupply lines and inferior resources, the desert fox led the British on a merry dance back and forth across North Africa.

He also led the defense of Normandy, and was doing it well. The allies did not break out until after he was wounded.

I thought he was t around at Normandy because he went to buy his wife some shoes?

Ludwig Von Beethoven - Composer

My worst category. When Bach went, I promised myself if I had any hope of being competitive here, I'd have to grab Mozart or Beethoven as soon as the other was chosen. A little earlier than I wanted but I scrapped one of the planned choices for this corner to make it so.

Thomas Jefferson - Thinker

Hard to go wrong with any of the top 3 or 4 composers. Theyre not interchangeable, but there's not much separation between them IMO.

I was close to taking Jefferson as a statesmen and also as a writer for being the primary author of the Declaration of Independence. Sorry to see hm off the board.

I thought he was t around at Normandy because he went to buy his wife some shoes?

If I recall correctly, he was back In Europe due to health reasons, and you are correct, simply happened to be in Normandy at the wrong time, and was placed in command there.

per ed's board....

BPB - Marie Curie - Great woman

to vudu

It's a nightmare getting into this thread again... feel free to use ed's board.

Also, I've no PMes from 90sbaby this time so I can't move the draft on his turn.

The category isn't talk show host, it's talk show guest. It's who, if they get invited to talk to Larry or Jay, makes it must see TV. Interesting or enlightening or funny or amazing... You want people that will make the ratings soar. If they left a big thumbprint on the world or none at all... doesn't matter, what matters is how interesting they are.

Also it's not your turn, it's still Vudu's. You just love stepping on the poor guy's ties. Anyways, considering the mixup, you won't be held to those picks.

Scientist other : Galileo Galilei

Galileo Galilei (Italian pronunciation: [ɡaliˈlɛːo ɡaliˈlɛːi]; 15 February 1564[3] 8 January 1642), was an Italian astronomer, physicist, engineer, philosopher, and mathematician[4] who played a major role in the scientific revolution during the Renaissance. His achievements include improvements to the telescope and consequent astronomical observations and support for heliocentrism. Galileo has been called the "father of modern observational astronomy",[5] the "father of modern physics",[6][7] and the "father of modern science".[8]

His contributions to observational astronomy include the telescopic confirmation of the phases of Venus, the discovery of the four largest satellites of Jupiter (named the Galilean moons in his honour), and the observation and analysis of sunspots. Galileo also worked in applied science and technology, inventing an improved military compass and other instruments.

Excellent pick but one small nit to pick... Galileo is "astronomy and physics" rather than other.

90sbaby goes with Teddy Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan, category non-specified so back to you.

Scientist. Other

Louis Pasteur

Hard to fathom how many lives his work has saved.

Where would the world be without this guy?

French: [lwi pastʁ]; December 27, 1822 September 28, 1895) was a French chemist and microbiologist renowned for his discoveries of the principles of vaccination, microbial fermentation and pasteurization. He is remembered for his remarkable breakthroughs in the causes and preventions of diseases, and his discoveries have saved countless lives ever since. He reduced mortality from puerperal fever, and created the first vaccines for rabies and anthrax. His medical discoveries provided direct support for the germ theory of disease and its application in clinical medicine. He is best known to the general public for his invention of the technique of treating milk and wine to stop bacterial contamination, a process now called pasteurization. He is regarded as one of the three main founders of bacteriology, together with Ferdinand Cohn and Robert Koch, and is popularly known as the "father of microbiology".[3][4][5]

Another great pick Vudu, Pasteur was my #1 doctor who I haven't gotten around to picking yet.

Arthur Wellesley, AKA The Duke of Wellington. Strategic general.

His defense of Portugal in the peninsular campaign was a strategic trap on a staggering scale. He later flexed his tactical muscles defeating Napoleon at Waterloo.

Isaac Newton - Scientist (physics)

I've been putting hm off long enough. I figured you all had the category covered. But Vudu went back in, now TBBOM is double dipping on religious leaders. For many rounds, I've liked him better than anyone but you guys were full on the category so I thought I could put him off and it worked. I'd better wrap up the guy I've long coveted right now.

Jim Thorpe - Athlete

Because ths category is a lot of comparing apples to oranges. How does the best basketball player stack up against the best football soccer, baseball, boxer, Olympic... etc. It's hard. With Thorpe's multi-sport dominance, it's comparing apples, pears, peaches, and grapes to oranges which I find beneficial. Also his Olympic medals were restored posthumously.

It goes around to BPB.

By the way, TBBOM didn't skip me, I texted my picks to him on the phone before he went in for Wellington.

By the way, TBBOM didn't skip me, I texted my picks to him on the phone before he went in for Wellington.

Thanks for clearing this up. I was concerned. :thumbsup:

Thanks for clearing this up. I was concerned. :thumbsup:

I too was confused- glad it was cleared up!

Jack off of all trades

Ben Franklin

First a printer, then a franchisor of his successful printing biz before retiring to focus on science and invention.

Tamed electricity, wrote "Poor Richard's Almanack", helped launch the first library, helped found the Philosphical Society and the Philadelphia Hospital.

Invented swim fins, bifocals and the Franklin stove.

Did all that, while being very active politically and helped to set this new nation on the right path.

Lived to the ripe old age of 84. During that era, living that long was quite an accomplishment in and of itself.

What couldn't this guy do?

Jack off of all trades

Ben Franklin

First a printer, then a franchisor of his successful printing biz before retiring to focus on science and invention.

Tamed electricity, wrote "Poor Richard's Almanack", helped launch the first library, helped found the Philosphical Society and the Philadelphia Hospital.

Invented swim fins, bifocals and the Franklin stove.

Did all that, while being very active politically and helped to set this new nation on the right path.

Lived to the ripe old age of 84. During that era, living that long was quite an accomplishment in and of itself.

What couldn't this guy do?

you're on a roll vudu, these picks have been gold of late.

• Like 1

you're on a roll vudu, these picks have been gold of late.

http://nomoregfiafp.boards.net/thread/1016/second-home-geek-history-draft?page=2#scrollTo=18382

Guys, I've posted this many times but nobody shows up to use it. BPB and I have been having serious trouble accessing FFToday lately. I'm sure you've all noticed it too. For me, today especially has incredibly brutal, I lost our rosters again (a third time) as I tried to update/save them. Fortunately since I keep a backup copy at ed's it's not such a problem.

Anyways if you're having fits, the link is again posted above.

Voltaire do you think it would be a good or bad idea to add a category of "Fictional Characters"? I was thinking about it earlier... unless we can add fictional characters to wild card?

Voltaire do you think it would be a good or bad idea to add a category of "Fictional Characters"? I was thinking about it earlier... unless we can add fictional characters to wild card?

I got a pm from Volty. He said go ahead and add Cartoon Characters as a new category.

Alrighty, carry on.

I got a pm from Volty. He said go ahead and add Cartoon Characters as a new category.

Alrighty, carry on.

Smarta** I was talking about characters such as Hamlet or Lady Macbeth. Just a suggestion.

I've spent a great deal of time recently on the great women and seductress category and to my great disappointment, some of my early favorite stories like Diao Chan and Scheherazade I scrapped because they were fictional. Maybe you're familiar, Disney made a story about Mulan from Chinese history, which is really truly an ancient Chinese story and she'd make a great "Great Woman" however since I can't find dates for her existence -which time period was Mulan? - I'm not sure I wanted to include her. The story has truthiness to it, it sounds like it could be real, should be real but it's ephermeral

Awesome names, awesome stories, I've been scrapping them.

Although I wouldn't mind adding a category this late, with unanimous consent, I'm not sure fictional people is the way to go. I like how you're thinking if you want to add a category. That's not a firm 'no' get four yeses and we'll make it go.

Names from pre-history legend are OK by the way. Like I said when Homer was chosen, his stories were memorized, never written for like 800 years, but archaeology has repeatedly verified the accuracy of a lot of what he was saying in the Illiad (as opposed to the Odyssey). Don't take the cyclops or the gods, but the people he talked about, strip them of any supernatural stuff, then claim them. Same with the Bible. Moses is still a great pick even if you get stripped of the burning bush and the parting the Red Sea. Noah or Jonah, on the other hand, take away the arc and the whale and you've got nothing left.