Sign in to follow this  
Voltaire

***Geek Club History Draft***

Type in his name on Youtube and check out how many pages of his speeches and films show up. He was the philosopher who got the Western world interested in Eastern thought, but he had so much more to say.

"Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth."

Alan Watts - Philosopher

Watts is interesting. I wasn't familiar with him. Bits of wisdom in three and a half minute increments.

Still enjoying monitoring this... an observation about 90sbaby: history goes back more than 150 or so years. Not that there aren't great picks in that span; I love Eleanor Roosevelt. Just saying. :cheers:

28.5 Pelé - Athlete

The way I see it soccer is the world's #1 sport, so if I take the consensus #1 guy to ever play it ... that's a solid choice for athlete. He's been an excellent humanitarian in his post career years s well, well beloved in Brazil children's charities and for the poor.

29.1 Michael Jackson - Artist (Performing)

I think you know him enough already.

I select Elvis Presley. Visual performer. He changed the game. He created a new game.

For the second straight time, you've followed my pick by taking the guy in the category that I was weighing my options with.

For the second straight time, you've followed my pick by taking the guy in the category that I was weighing my options with.

Great minds think alike.

Apparently ours do too. You've snaked a couple of picks I was going to take too.

Bear seems to not be around, it's been long enough. Vudu can go.

Performing Artist.

Paul Newman: Screen Legend, philanthropist, marketer, and race car driver.

From the Hustler, to Butch Cassidy to Cool Hand Luke, he defined cool on the big screen.

He was pretty great in most roles and damned good in all the rest.

By all reports, also a pretty good guy.

Paul Leonard Newman (January 26, 1925 September 26, 2008)[2] was an American actor, film director, entrepreneur, professional racing driver and team owner; he was also an environmentalist, liberal social activist and philanthropist. He won numerous awards, including an Academy Award for his performance in the 1986 film The Color of Money,[3] a BAFTA Award, a Screen Actors Guild Award, a Cannes Film Festival Award, an Emmy Award, and many honorary awards. He also won several national championships as a driver in Sports Car Club of America road racing, and his race teams won several championships in open wheel IndyCar racing.

Newman was married to actress Joanne Woodward from 1958 until his death. He was a co-founder of Newman's Own, a food company from which Newman donated all post-tax profits and royalties to charity.[4] As of 31 December 2014, these donations totaled US$429.3 million.[5] He was also a co-founder of Safe Water Network, a nonprofit that develops sustainable drinking water solutions for those in need.[6] In 1988, Newman founded the SeriousFun Children's Network, a global family of camps and programs for children with serious illness which has served 290,076 children since its inception.[7]

Not trying to hold the draft up so here are my picks for the next round

Vlad Dracula - Evil Mofo - No description needed

Caligula - Evil Mofo

and incase one gets picked

Nero - Evil Mofo

-------

From 90sbaby:

Well, ol' Vladdie is long gone at 6.1 but the other two work

29.5 Calligula

30.1 Nero

back to vudu

Fiction Author:

Mark Twain aka Samuel Clemens.

Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, A Connecticut Yankee, the Prince and the Pauper.

Coupled with Poe in the poetry category, I'd say I have the 2 greatest American writers in my starting lineup.

Ill give three picks, in case one gets taken. I'm about to be out of pocket for a bit.

James Monroe- reformer. Called the father of the constitution, because he pretty much wrote it, created what is now the oldest constitution still in existence, and basically created the America that has become the worlds supreme power, out of the tatters of the articles of confederation.

William the conqueror - administrator

He should be called William the administrator. After the battle of Hastings, he founded the county system and basic court structure that governs England to this day.

William Wordsworth - poet

Wordsworth is gone but the other two are valid.

Fock guys I am so sorry been so busy at work, just got up to check the forums because I got an email from Jeff. On the way to work will have my picks in before I get home. Sorry again.

Fock I hoped this thread was Latin Pimped.

:wave:

Fock I hoped this thread was Latin Pimped.

:wave:

Technically, it was.

It's been 21 hours for Bear. We'll keep rolling. Vudu can go.

Bear : C. Walton Lillehei - Doctor

Interesting guy, first to perform open heart surgery

From 90sbaby

----

Saw that I am not up so I am gong to just message you my picks

Dumb Moron - Alana "Honey Boo Boo" Thompson

Dumb Moron - Sarah Palin

Also can I have Aaron Rodgers moved to wildcard?

Another daggone slowdown. So many lately, this time on vudu. Give him another two hours to wake up, then bear can go at 9:30 Eastern/ 8:30 bear time.

The site wouldn't let me login on my ipad yesterday or this morning. Just kept kicking me back to the sign in page after I put in the username and password.

That's all saved here on my work laptop. I wonder if passwords got screwed up somehow during the last pimping.

Anyway.

Visual Artist:

Pablo Picasso, born 42 years after Cézanne, said, “My one and only master . . . Cézanne was like the father of us all.” Cézanne is therefore often described as the “father of modern art” (Karen Rosenberg, “Maverick, You Cast a Giant Shadow,” review ofCézanne and Beyond at Philadelphia Museum of Art, New York Times, March 5, 2009, Art and Design section).

More here:

http://www.guggenheim.org/new-york/education/school-educator-programs/teacher-resources/arts-curriculum-online?view=item&catid=740&id=164

The Brotherhood of Eternal Love operated out of Laguna Beach, CA in Orange County. They promoted Buddhism, not killing animals, and dope. I think they had a pretty clever way of transporting hash. The put blocks of it in Electrovoice Eliminator I speaker cabinets. The cabinets are 15" folded horn subs. They weigh about 150 pounds a piece. A few blocks of hash could be easily concealed inside the cabinet. The Brotherhood band had eight of those cabinets. If they needed to transport hash to Huntington Beach, they would just get a gig. When I bought two of those speaker cabinets from the bass player, I didn't know any of this.

The Brotherhood contributed money to a campaign for the Governorship (against Ronald Reagan) of California by a man who ask John Lennon to write his campaign song. You may have heard it. It's call "Come Together". I found a wanted poster for the candidate out in the garage two days ago. I thought I had lost it. I checked online and as far as I can figure, Christie's Auctions sold the last example eleven years ago for over $3,500.

"Turn on, tune in, and drop out." is a phrase Timothy Leary coined. I think he has a lot of good quotes, for example:

"Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition."

"Civilization is unbearable, but is less unbearable at the top."

"Like any educated savage, I discredited anything I did not understand."

Besides advocating the use of LSD, Dr. Leary (Doctor of Psychology) was in the U.S. Army and was discharged with the rank of sergeant, with a good conduct medal. Thank you for your service to our country, dude. Leary wrote lots of books that no one remembers reading, just like they don't remember much else from that period. You put it all together and you have a man that defined an era and the heads that occupied that time. I could put him in the good criminal category; he served time in 29 prisons around the world...nah.

Timothy Leary - Social Scientist
  • Like 1

Your writeups are awesome and your speaker cabinets smell like hash.

Still enjoying monitoring this... an observation about 90sbaby: history goes back more than 150 or so years. Not that there aren't great picks in that span; I love Eleanor Roosevelt. Just saying. :cheers:

I personally just think individuals from the last 100-150 years are just far more impressive than anything prior to that.

Also might have a lot to do with I don't know what the hell happened in China in 1500BC (nor do I care). I am picking people I actually know about and am educated on not trying to rely on Google searches.

I'm enjoying the searching as I go. When I find someone interesting, read about them, there's all sorts of name dropping going aon, now there's lots of others. So then there's more to read about.

Finding out about new people or rediscovering ones I forgot about seems like the entire point of doing this.

I try to land the most profound and influential names I can find.

I can't believe it but I simply cannot get ahold of TBBOM for the past 24+ hours. It's highly unusual, even worrisome since he usually has his phone with him all the time. I dunno. I guess it's time to skip him.

36.6 is Marcus Tullius Cicero - Writer (non-fiction)

Cicero is a very useful pick for me in that he can fits equally well into the nf-writer or the statesman category, two areas I've not assigned anybody yet. So NF writer may be temporary. Scoring him as a statesman works beautifully as well.

37.1 Gottfried Wilhelm von Leibniz - Jack of all trades

I'll do writeups after dinner. Bear can go. TBBOM can come back in at any time.

Marcus Tullius Cicero[n 1] (/ˈsɪsɨr/; Classical Latin: [ˈmaːr.kʊs ˈtʊl.li.ʊs ˈkɪ.kɛ.roː]; Greek: Κικέρων, Kikerōn; 3 January 106 BC – 7 December 43 BC) was a Roman philosopher, politician, lawyer, orator, political theorist, consul and constitutionalist. He came from a wealthy municipal family of the Roman equestrian order, and is widely considered one of Rome's greatest orators and prose stylists.[2][3]

His influence on the Latin language was so immense that the subsequent history of prose in not only Latin but European languages up to the 19th century was said to be either a reaction against or a return to his style.[4] According to Michael Grant, "the influence of Cicero upon the history of European literature and ideas greatly exceeds that of any other prose writer in any language".[5] Cicero introduced the Romans to the chief schools of Greek philosophy and created a Latin philosophical vocabulary (with neologisms such as humanitas, qualitas, quantitas, and essentia)[6] distinguishing himself as a linguist, translator, and philosopher.

Petrarch's rediscovery of Cicero's letters is often credited for initiating the 14th-century Renaissance in public affairs, humanism, and classical Roman culture.[7] According to Polish historian Tadeusz Zieliński, "Renaissance was above all things a revival of Cicero, and only after him and through him of the rest of Classical antiquity."[8] The peak of Cicero's authority and prestige came during the 18th-century Enlightenment,[9] and his impact on leading Enlightenment thinkers such as John Locke, David Hume, and Montesquieu was substantial.[10] His works rank among the most influential in European culture, and today still constitute one of the most important bodies of primary material for the writing and revision of Roman history, especially the last days of the Roman Republic.[11]

Though he was an accomplished orator and successful lawyer, Cicero believed his political career was his most important achievement. It was during his consulship that the Second Catilinarian Conspiracy attempted to overthrow the government through an attack on the city by outside forces, and Cicero suppressed the revolt by executing five conspirators without due process. During the chaotic latter half of the 1st century BC marked by civil wars and the dictatorship of Gaius Julius Caesar, Cicero championed a return to the traditional republican government. Following Julius Caesar's death Cicero became an enemy of Mark Antony in the ensuing power struggle, attacking him in a series of speeches. He was proscribed as an enemy of the state by the Second Triumvirate and consequently executed by soldiers operating on their behalf in 43 BC after having been intercepted during attempted flight from the Italian peninsula. His severed hands and head were then, as a final revenge of Mark Antony, displayed in the Roman Forum.

Gottfried Wilhelm von Leibniz (/ˈlbnɪts/;[4]German: [ˈɡɔtfʁiːt ˈvɪlhɛlm fɔn ˈlaɪbnɪts][5] or [ˈlaɪpnɪts];[6]French: Godefroi Guillaume Leibnitz;[7] July 1, 1646 – November 14, 1716) was a German polymath and philosopher, and to this day he occupies a prominent place in the history of mathematics and the history of philosophy. Most scholars believe Leibniz developed calculus independently of Isaac Newton, and Leibniz's notation has been widely used ever since it was published. It was only in the 20th century that his Law of Continuity and Transcendental Law of Homogeneity found mathematical implementation (by means of non-standard analysis). He became one of the most prolific inventors in the field of mechanical calculators. While working on adding automatic multiplication and division to Pascal's calculator, he was the first to describe a pinwheel calculator in 1685[8] and invented the Leibniz wheel, used in the arithmometer, the first mass-produced mechanical calculator. He also refined the binary number system, which is the foundation of virtually all digital computers.

In philosophy, Leibniz is most noted for his optimism, i.e., his conclusion that our Universe is, in a restricted sense, the best possible one that God could have created, an idea that was often lampooned by others such as Voltaire. Leibniz, along with René Descartes and Baruch Spinoza, was one of the three great 17th-century advocates of rationalism. The work of Leibniz anticipated modern logic and analytic philosophy, but his philosophy also looks back to the scholastic tradition, in which conclusions are produced by applying reason of first principles or prior definitions rather than to empirical evidence.

Leibniz made major contributions to physics and technology, and anticipated notions that surfaced much later in philosophy, probability theory, biology, medicine, geology, psychology, linguistics, and computer science. He wrote works on philosophy, politics, law, ethics, theology, history, and philology. Leibniz's contributions to this vast array of subjects were scattered in various learned journals, in tens of thousands of letters, and in unpublished manuscripts. He wrote in several languages, but primarily in Latin, French, and German.[9] There is no complete gathering of the writings of Leibniz.[10]

Who was the first cartoon character taken? To lazy to go through this turd of a thread!

Who was the first cartoon character taken? To lazy to go through this turd of a thread!

We don't have a cartoon character category but even if we did, you'd be better off auditioning for dumb focking moron anyways.

We don't have a cartoon character category but even if we did, you'd be better off auditioning for dumb focking moron anyways.

I like your tenacity. What category best resembles your personal life?

I'm a horrible speller and worse at grammar, but I do know anyways isn't a real word. Touché!

I like your tenacity. What category best resembles your personal life?

People tend to like my haikus so I guess poet.

History draft slows

I hope to take Cicero

But must wait three days

• Like 1