Sign in to follow this  
himmystyles

Benjamin

Seems like a risky play in ppr- anyone starting him? They don't have much else, and after whst he's done you would think they would have him running more high percentage routes.

These types of guys never last. I dont know that i have seen a scrawnier receiver in the NFL than Benjamin. These guys dont even work with Good qbs, let alone a Browns qb.

• Like 1

If you need a good fill in guy yeah I would roll with him , and I like his match up this week .

The only way I would feel comfortable starting him is if I was in a return yardage league. Need to see at least one week where he gets a decent amount of targets first

Fools gold. Dude has rocks for hands. He can catch those long bomb floaters of Johnny Football, but a lazer from 20 yards is hitting the turf EVERY time.

That's ok with me , when he does catch one it goes for a lot of yards and tds = points .

That's ok with me , when he does catch one it goes for a lot of yards and tds = points .

Except that in Week 3, Mccown is starting and not "heave it up for grabs Johnny".

Except that in Week 3, Mccown is starting and not "heave it up for grabs Johnny".

Yea I just saw that , now that does hurt .

Yea I just saw that , now that does hurt .

How so? McCown has always had one of the best ratings as a deep ball passer

How so? McCown has always had one of the best ratings as a deep ball passer

What is his deep ball passer rating ?

2013-14, McCown did this:

Josh McCown 69 / 24 / 849 / 8 / 2 / 34.8% / 12.3

That's Att/Comp/Yds/TD/INT/Comp Perc/Yds Per Attempt, according to BleacherReport here: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2491902-aaron-rodgers-big-ben-orjay-cutler-ranking-the-nfls-best-deep-passers

That percentage actually puts him 15th on the list from that article, under Brees, Peyton, Rodgers, Ben, Russell, Cutler, Rivers, Romo, Ryan, Foles, Glennon, Cassel, Fitz, and Hoyer. NFL average for a 16 game span during that time:

NFL Average (16 games) 133 / 45 / 1540 / 11.4 / 8.9 / 33.6% / 11.6

Looks like McCown is an above average deep ball passer. One of the best? Not according to that data.

Glennon was the qb that was better than Mcown with the Bucs , so why I think Johnny football is better for Benjamin stats is when things break down Johnny football can scramble around and that's when Benjamin speed get him open . I don't think a straight back passer like Mccown who now seems to be a avg deep ball passer helps Benjamin's game . Thank you Brotherbock for the info .

Glennon was the qb that was better than Mcown with the Bucs , so why I think Johnny football is better for Benjamin stats is when things break down Johnny football can scramble around and that's when Benjamin speed get him open . I don't think a straight back passer like Mccown who now seems to be a avg deep ball passer helps Benjamin's game . Thank you Brotherbock for the info .

No prob :) I'm almost totally Jimmy Foozball neutral, but I think that's some good reasoning. And one of those bombs from him to Benjamin last week was in fact a really beautiful pass.

Here's some reading material for you :

http://rotoviz.com/2015/07/throws-sexy-deep-ball/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/05/29/qbs-in-focus-deep-passing-2/

Here's some reading and some visual for you:

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2015/3/4/8129431/josh-mccown-part-one

McCown led the Browns on a 90 yard drive against the Jets in which he scrambled for 23 yards on three carries. Granted he fumbled, but go back and watch that drive. The very first pass of the game should've been a huge gain if the tight end doesn't drop it. McCown can play if he gets time. And he's facing a Raiders team that has given up the most passing plays over 20 yards in the NFL.

WPIAFP

Benjamin ran exactly nine pass routes last week, so there's a high chance he is fool's gold.

Yeah but he is scoring points , and week to week that's all that matters .

Big Brown's homer bid a ton of points on him (no one else bid a single dollar) and is starting him against me this week so I expect another huge week.

Here's some reading material for you :

http://rotoviz.com/2015/07/throws-sexy-deep-ball/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/05/29/qbs-in-focus-deep-passing-2/

Here's some reading and some visual for you:

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2015/3/4/8129431/josh-mccown-part-one

McCown led the Browns on a 90 yard drive against the Jets in which he scrambled for 23 yards on three carries. Granted he fumbled, but go back and watch that drive. The very first pass of the game should've been a huge gain if the tight end doesn't drop it. McCown can play if he gets time. And he's facing a Raiders team that has given up the most passing plays over 20 yards in the NFL.

WPIAFP

Ooh, good stuff.

That first chart from Rotoviz shows McCown at below average Catchable Pass Rate--his was 39.3%, NFL average was 39.9%, although granted with the highest percentage of Deep Targets. Overall, for the receiver from a fantasy perspective, that would be better than average--high volume with right around, just barely below, average catchability. The problem there is that it's still the deep ball. PPR this guy won't be great, and deep ball odds aren't very good anyway. 39.3% are *catchable*, not *caught*.

The second chart was better looking for him, but the places he really leads there are primarily in the sheer volume of deep passes he was throwing--no surprise, given how bad they were last year--and in 40+ yard passes. Which accounted for only 2.7% of all his passes. That's in the 1 pass per game range. So even where he shines, it's not enough to get me excited about owning his deep ball receiver.

I'll admit, those stats make him look, not great, but better than I thought he was.