Sign in to follow this  
bubba29

Injuries....Too Hard, No Fun

The injuries seem to have gotten exponentially worse. So many high profile starters out. Or they start games but don't finish. I have been doing fantasy football for 16 years and I am thinking about quitting. I won almost a grand 2 years ago. I put time and effort into it. I have adjusted to injuries in the past but this year has been ridiculous for all teams. It has become too difficult to field a decent team each week. How are leagues adjusting this current climate to make this more manageable/fun? You can tell me I'm a whiny but I suspect others are also felling this.

Grow a pair.

j/k - I know what you mean. I've done this since 1997, and I had actually quit that league before this season started. But I filled in for a friend's work league since they needed someone. The injuries are weird. But my problem is I get too into it regardless. Somehow I'm in first right now. But on paper I think the #2 team is better.

It's part of the game of football and you just need to ride it out amd keep adjusting to the situation , i don't like to see anyone getting injured but it's going to happen .

I have so many backup RBs. Lost Jamaal and grabbed a handful of backups. Including Rawls. I traded for a backup, Tevin Coleman.

That's how you survive all the injuries. I have Sproles, Bradshaw and Turbin and Todman too. I even had Ware last week and dropped him for Sproles. Get the backups in advance and wait.

If you had a not-so-great draft, maybe the injuries have actually helped.

Maybe that's what's keeping my team afloat. I've been pretty diligent about the WW in general.

Agree. It's bad. In my high $$ keeper league I had worked angles and given up last year to go all in this year.

Had about half of my roster at about 40% below status Salary

$10,000 should have been easy .... ugh... Leveon, Lynch, Amendola, Ben, etc

Oh yeah, it totally sucks. We have what $20 invested, $100 invested or maybe some of you a couple hundred. The owners pay these guys millions of dollars. How do you think they feel about their star player on the bench?

S**t happens dude! If you want Heaven, you will have to be patient!

I have so many backup RBs. Lost Jamaal and grabbed a handful of backups. Including Rawls. I traded for a backup, Tevin Coleman.

That's how you survive all the injuries. I have Sproles, Bradshaw and Turbin and Todman too. I even had Ware last week and dropped him for Sproles. Get the backups in advance and wait.

This. If you have a starting RB with a clear handcuff, you HAVE to own the handcuff. If you don't have one, then watching other handcuffs is important. We learned early on about Rawls, Karlos, etc, but I've seen both dropped multiple times because of other roster management issues (injuries + BYEs). It does require reading a bit to understand, for example. that Charcnado is the guy behind Charles, not Knile.

On top of that, you need elite WRs. Yeah, I apologize for that being a stupid suggestion, but it stood out to me this year (I think after the AOB article) -- putting more weight on elite WRs helps, giving an edge to those with less of an injury history. I've seen Watkins dropped, but he's a great flex play to have lying around.

For leagues in general, the rules make a difference IMO. Some leagues have special injury rules - things that can help for surprise inactives when people have other things to do Sunday/Monday/Thursday. Good WW rules are critical: Players should not lock until their games' start, and FAAB is ideal; I imagine being a Forte owner and watching the owner with one better spot in waiver priority snag Langford is a major buzzkill. A bad waiver system + small benches = recipe for disaster IMO.

Oh yeah, it totally sucks. We have what $20 invested, $100 invested or maybe some of you a couple hundred. The owners pay these guys millions of dollars. How do you think they feel about their star player on the bench?

Like they're making wads of money? Huge steaming piles of it? After, in many cases, stealing the stadiums from taxpayers (Looking at you Irsay, and most other owners...though not ALL!)? They win in all situations.

This. If you have a starting RB with a clear handcuff, you HAVE to own the handcuff. If you don't have one, then watching other handcuffs is important. We learned early on about Rawls, Karlos, etc, but I've seen both dropped multiple times because of other roster management issues (injuries + BYEs). It does require reading a bit to understand, for example. that Charcnado is the guy behind Charles, not Knile.

On top of that, you need elite WRs. Yeah, I apologize for that being a stupid suggestion, but it stood out to me this year (I think after the AOB article) -- putting more weight on elite WRs helps, giving an edge to those with less of an injury history. I've seen Watkins dropped, but he's a great flex play to have lying around.

For leagues in general, the rules make a difference IMO. Some leagues have special injury rules - things that can help for surprise inactives when people have other things to do Sunday/Monday/Thursday. Good WW rules are critical: Players should not lock until their games' start, and FAAB is ideal; I imagine being a Forte owner and watching the owner with one better spot in waiver priority snag Langford is a major buzzkill. A bad waiver system + small benches = recipe for disaster IMO.

Like they're making wads of money? Huge steaming piles of it? After, in many cases, stealing the stadiums from taxpayers (Looking at you Irsay, and most other owners...though not ALL!)? They win in all situations.

Yes, as businessmen they are not going broke, but neither are we. We are competitive. They are too. They drafted and paid Luck millions and him being hurt sucks because he should be out there helping them win.

Yes, as businessmen they are not going broke, but neither are we. We are competitive. They are too. They drafted and paid Luck millions and him being hurt sucks because he should be out there helping them win.

They make wads of cash either way. It's really not analogous. Before the last CBA, the Bills had apparently figured out that it was more lucrative to lose cheaply than it was to spend to the cap and win. Now, teams have to spend within x% of the cap, but the point is, owning the Titans is still lucrative, despite their record. Now, if you compare FF owners to GMs, I think you have a better analogy.

I have repeatedly said this has been the worst nfl season in maybe ever...

Between all the injuries, the top level guys underperforming, the couple week waiver wonders turning back into pumpkins, and games that setup as fantasy points galore shootouts turning into crummy borefests (hello Oakland-Detroit yesterday) it has been a rough year to be consistent...

A lot of leagues have more parity than usual besides the league's that are either filled with "Taco's" or where a select couple of owners have had great injury luck and are like 8-3 at this point...

The rb landscape is truly dreadful and has made trading less of a problem solver because with so few quality options to go around, people just don't want to let go of them to upgrade a tiny bit at another spot and weaken there team overall..

Every single team in my 10 owner league is either 6-5 or 5-6 besides one 4-7 team so this is the latest it's ever been where everyone still has a shot at the playoffs which makes it great for struggling teams but not so great for the better teams just dealing with underperforming guys...

One thing we do in the league I run that has been great (and even better this year) is the all play (breakdown) record deciding the final 2 playoff spots.. So even if you lose 156-160 and someone else wins 112-104 you may be ok if you can amass more all play wins that week than most...

I was in a league one year where I went 4-9 as the 2nd highest scoring team and didn't make the playoffs because some random schedule generator in August dealt me a bad beat schedule.. I quit that league after it ended and searched for a better way to decide how the best teams could be in the playoffs, not just the lucky teams winning low scoring games.. I started my league using the all-play record to reward the consistently higher scoring teams... This has worked out great and we have had teams make it in as the final playoff team with a losing record go on to win the title once they made it because they had a good team..

There isn't much that can be done about all the injuries this year and the many guys falling flat each week (this past weekend was the lowest combined totals week maybe ever in my league).. We also have bigger rosters (25 players) to allow more depth and stashes than some leagues with like 15-16 total roster spots or something not as conducive to foresight and speculative adds which helps because you can hold guys longer or add guys sooner hoping they come into play (ex.-Rawls)..

I also think this year's fantasy playoffs in most leagues will be horrific with how "meh" players have been and it will be more random as teams fall way short of their expected totals and get knocked out by other teams with one or two guys having big weeks..

I have always agreed with the "Fantasy is 75% skill 25% luck in the regular season to make the playoffs (year after year) but then reverses to 25% skill 75% luck in the playoffs" but this year I think the number is closer to the 50% skill/luck mark this regular season and will be a higher % of luck to win the title than the 75% mark of past years...

The randomness has been frustrating but at the same time it's been different and challenging so as long as the others in your leagues are going though it too, it's still an even playing field...

They make wads of cash either way. It's really not analogous. Before the last CBA, the Bills had apparently figured out that it was more lucrative to lose cheaply than it was to spend to the cap and win. Now, teams have to spend within x% of the cap, but the point is, owning the Titans is still lucrative, despite their record. Now, if you compare FF owners to GMs, I think you have a better analogy.

You make a good point. They have more to lose......ie their job.

You can only handcuff and keep other people's handcuffs if you have a healthy team to begin with and truthfully a team that you had a crappy draft with. What if you have a really great draft? Do you start cutting your 4th WR (Martavious Bryant) to pick up other people's handcuffs or even your own?

Frankly where do people have the room for handcuffs? My theory is you can draft maybe one and try to be patient, but if you draft real well there is no room for a team's backup RB on your roster. If you draft more than one handcuff you must have really deep rosters or care nothing about having good #4 RBs, WRs, etc. to carry you through bye weeks, etc.

This has been a frustrating year. I know with my core of Ben, charles, foster, ivory, AJ green and alshon, barnidge....i would have been very difficult to beat. But with injuries and the mediocre teams getting all these waiver gems...im getting rolled now.

You can only handcuff and keep other people's handcuffs if you have a healthy team to begin with and truthfully a team that you had a crappy draft with. What if you have a really great draft? Do you start cutting your 4th WR (Martavious Bryant) to pick up other people's handcuffs or even your own?

Frankly where do people have the room for handcuffs? My theory is you can draft maybe one and try to be patient, but if you draft real well there is no room for a team's backup RB on your roster. If you draft more than one handcuff you must have really deep rosters or care nothing about having good #4 RBs, WRs, etc. to carry you through bye weeks, etc.

I carry one K, TE, QB and Dst. I carry three Wrs. The rest of my roster is all RBs and handcuffs. I've been forced to do it this year with injury issues.

It also helps that I drafted Brady, Fitz and Marshall late. They do need to stay healthy though.

I don't like to see players get hurt but it happens , what is a problem with watching football is how bad the refs have been and how much they have done and are still doing in taking away from playing defense . You can't hit anymore , sorry but that's not tackle football , so here comes the flags soon .

Yeah, I have dropped my #4 WR in one league. It hurts, but at some point I did have to have room for Langford. I actually do speculative handcuffing - adding guys occasionally when there's a small rumor or chance that the starter is hurt (before week 10 Rawls was a key add - he had been dropped for BYE I think). So, there is some luck involved, and the waiver system matters. I didn't think to 'cuff West, though - my only starter who arguably should be in my leagues, aside from Forte.

In my small-bench (5) league, I've almost never had a second QB. I had to drop Hauschka over his BYE; about the only kicker I would not have dropped is Gostkowski. I stink at DST (I seem to curse them - sorry to everyone who has had a few underwhelming weeks from STL), and rarely hold onto more than one. Picking a QB to stream can be rough, or between two similar QBs past the trade deadline (which argues against owning 2 for me). I was looking for someone to start over Wilson this week because he has always put up stinkers at home against SF when his team destroys them. I didn't find someone and just let it go (projected W anyway), and hey! Wilson has a good game! I think I'll still hold onto my second QB (Roethlisberger), but now I will want to 'cuff West, so my WR4 will be gone as soon as 'Manny Sanders is healthy.

I don't like to see players get hurt but it happens , what is a problem with watching football is how bad the refs have been and how much they have done and are still doing in taking away from playing defense . You can't hit anymore , sorry but that's not tackle football , so here comes the flags soon .

I heartily disagree with the last sentence. A good tackle is a form tackle. Penalizing launching was a great rule addition - it actually made defenses better. If you had been a Colts fan watching Tim Jennings and worse diving and missing by a yard (laterally, somehow, after being lined up right across from the WR at the snap), you'd have the same "bad form PTSD" that I do as a fan. Many of those kids grew up watching highlights on SportsCenter, etc., and the highlights weren't form tackles -- they were launches.

Oh, and I don't care what anyone else thinks - the evidence is quite clear that football head hits tend to lead to cumulative damage that can result in personality, intelligence, etc. changes developmentally and in adults. Even if someone is okay with brain damaging their children, that doesn't mean that other people's children should have to learn how to drive with them, etc... I love the sport; there is absolutely nothing like it. However, it either needs to be fixed (even thinks like helmets that help absorb the shock, even if it makes players look more "like astronauts," or it needs to go. I don't see either occurring within the next 10 years, though.

I understand what you are saying , but it's not the game I grew up watching and I don't really find it as enjoyable . I don't think you can play defense anymore amd that's the game I miss .

It's a game.

Feel entitled that every decision you make should be right 100% of the time, whine when something doesn't go your way or that "it's all luck" and quit...

...or take it for what it is: a game.

This is why I love season leagues over daily. Every team has injuries, duds, makes wrong decisions, etc. a lot of times it comes down to managing, having a deep bench, and not feeling sorry for yourself. Too many people are about instant gratification and quit. I think that's part of the reason daily fantasy is so popular. Grow a pair and quit acting like you're the only victim. Or quit.

I'm thinking about suggesting a best ball format. I really don't want to spend a whole of of time worrying about some WR3's hamstring. Or have my whole day shot because some a-hole coach wants to play games and dress a guy but not use him (Ivory) or a decoy ( Calvin)

Injuries finished me off. One team lost Charles (#1 RB at the time), Allen (#3 WR at the time), and now my top 5 QB Rivers has lost all of his weapons and his o-line. My other team had a RB corps of Lynch/Ingram/Foster/Ivory/Lewis...and might be down to two men now.

I'm thinking about suggesting a best ball format. I really don't want to spend a whole of of time worrying about some WR3's hamstring. Or have my whole day shot because some a-hole coach wants to play games and dress a guy but not use him (Ivory) or a decoy ( Calvin)

Count me in on best ball league. Sick of in game injury and all of sudden benching like LaFell tonight

Count me in on best ball league. Sick of in game injury and all of sudden benching like LaFell tonight

I really think it would lessen a lot of the anger and BS and make it a bit more enjoyable. Plus with RBBC and everyone being on the injury report it's become a guessing game.

I really think it would lessen a lot of the anger and BS and make it a bit more enjoyable. Plus with RBBC and everyone being on the injury report it's become a guessing game.

Does someone run a best ball that includes free agency moves and trades. I have only found draft only leagues

I would love all my leagues to be best ball lineups

Does someone run a best ball that includes free agency moves and trades. I have only found draft only leagues

I would love all my leagues to be best ball lineups

I play in live draft leagues. You might have to do some manual scoring, but I don't think it would be that hard.

Came across this thread today and actually was thinking the same thing over the weekend... Have been playing FF for 15+ years and have won numerous championships through out that time... but the last couple years have not been as fun for me with RBBC, amount of injuries, and daily fantasy coming onto the scene.

I dominated my big money 12 team draft(was projected to out score everyone at the beginning of the year by wide margin)... Have Dalton, Eiffert, Hopkins, Alshon as my core which is keeping me in the playoff race......

Drafted Lacy, CJ Anderson, Ameer, etc... Made a trade for Hyde he gets injured.... Trade for Forsett... he gets injured.

Sorry, but I have to laugh. Love how guys get on here talking about how they've won all these championships, dominated drafts (LOL), and basically are God's gift to fantasy football. But when they make drafting mistakes, have injuries to players, and don't make good waiver moves, they basically quit. Go cry somewhere else.

• Like 2

From a purely fantasy perspective, the biggest problem for my league is that we can keep one guy year-to-year and only have SIX bench spots. I lost Charles for the year, but am forced to keep him or likely lose him. There's a wasted roster spot for the rest of season. Really blows.

Sorry, but I have to laugh. Love how guys get on here talking about how they've won all these championships, dominated drafts (LOL), and basically are God's gift to fantasy football. But when they make drafting mistakes, have injuries to players, and don't make good waiver moves, they basically quit. Go cry somewhere else.

My team is not in a bad position at all and i am in 3rd place... And have made a ton of good waiver moves that have basically given me the ability to make trades for RBs that keep getting hurt lol... (Langford, Diggs, Stevie Johnson,)...

Just echoing above what was said with the frustrations over injuries this year.. Might ask my league to consider making one of the RB spots another flex spot next year....