Sign in to follow this  
petekrum

2016 Breakout Players

Yeah in the Kelly system I think Hyde is going to be a good rb to pick up.

I have a feeling Hyde will remind you a lot of Murray this year in Chips offense.

Sounds good. I remember calling him my pre draft bust.I'll see if I can dig out my draft notes on him. I should still have the last couple of years saved.

Hey thanks for the reply, and I understand that what he did at Central Florida should be taken with a grain of salt. But he is a first round pick taken by a team that doesn't bust many first rounders. And he was hurt all of last year. At the very least you have to love his situation there in Baltimore?

Hey thanks for the reply, and I understand that what he did at Central Florida should be taken with a grain of salt. But he is a first round pick taken by a team that doesn't bust many first rounders. And he was hurt all of last year. At the very least you have to love his situation there in Baltimore?

I agree completely on your thoughts as far as the Baltimore organization goes. When it comes to drafting. Teams like them, pitt., new england, seattle, g.b. seem to be clearly ahead of the rest of the pack as far as drafting goes. None of that has anything to do with a couch potatoes pre and post combine evaluation of players.

But it should most definitely play a part in your post draft rankings, as well as the situation the player goes into also. Ie. How fast can he get playing time.

Aren't you a Raiders fan ? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Any Oakland guys we should keep in the back of our heads?

I have a feeling Hyde will remind you a lot of Murray this year in Chips offense.

Maybe , but the Niners don't have a R Mathews on the team at this time to take away some of The work load I expect for Hyde to get .

I agree completely on your thoughts as far as the Baltimore organization goes. When it comes to drafting. Teams like them, pitt., new england, seattle, g.b. seem to be clearly ahead of the rest of the pack as far as drafting goes. None of that has anything to do with a couch potatoes pre and post combine evaluation of players.

But it should most definitely play a part in your post draft rankings, as well as the situation the player goes into also. Ie. How fast can he get playing time.

Aren't you a Raiders fan ? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Any Oakland guys we should keep in the back of our heads?

I'd put Amari Cooper on this list if a WR coming off a 1,000 yd 6 TD season could be considered a 'breakout' candidate. He was very streaky last season surely, but a couple things need to be kept in mind.

One, go back and look at the top ten WRs from last season and what they did as rookies. Outside of OBJ Coop was comparable if not better than all. That list contains the likes of Julio, AJ Green, Megatron, Fitz, Antonio Brown et al.

Two, he playes for Oakland. That team had big problems keeping its defense off the field last year. Derek Carr is an up and coming QB, but still struggled at times with running the offense. Reggie McKenzie will be addressing the defense this off season, both in FA and the draft. Three of the top four draft picks went on offense in 2015. I look for that to flip this year. Plus the team has upwards of $70 mill in cap space. As for Carr, he is quickly building a solid rapport with Cooper, throwing him 130 targets last year. And Raider fans are expecting HUGE strides from their QB this year. We know he's nowhere as good now as he will be when the game slows down for him. Outside of Dan Marino, no QB has thrown more TD passes in their first two seasons than Derek Carr.

Lastly on Coop, he was thrown in as the team's #1 WR last year, though Crabs played split end. He saw a LOT of #1 CBs from the opposition and they roughed him up plenty. He suffered a foot injury two thirds through the season and never really got right, hitting a wall so to speak. McKenzie considered shutting him down but the kid played through it.

Amari Cooper is going to be a good one, a cross between Cliff Branch and Tim Brown.

At halfback watch who Oakland acquires. It's a given that a change of pace for Murray is needed. But word is the team MAY not be happy with his effectiveness. If the Raiders get a Lamar Miller in free agency jump all over it. No other RB enjoyed a higher percentage of his team's carries last year than Latavius Murray, it's how Bill Musgrave rolls. But Murray also left huge chunks on the field and was less than optimal in picking up the dirty yards. The Raiders may upgrade.

Oh, and draft Clive Walford as your back up tight end.

Any clue what so ever why they never gave Marcel Reece the rock on a full time gig. He was/is the 1 raider I always loved, and thought he could be a great player given the opportunity. But it wasn't just 1 coaching staff, it was several that said no, and wanted something else. Any reasons for that? Several coaching staffs have to be more right than I am, so any idea what I've missed on this guy?

Just curious.

I'd put Amari Cooper on this list if a WR coming off a 1,000 yd 6 TD season could be considered a 'breakout' candidate. He was very streaky last season surely, but a couple things need to be kept in mind.

One, go back and look at the top ten WRs from last season and what they did as rookies. Outside of OBJ Coop was comparable if not better than all. That list contains the likes of Julio, AJ Green, Megatron, Fitz, Antonio Brown et al.

Two, he playes for Oakland. That team had big problems keeping its defense off the field last year. Derek Carr is an up and coming QB, but still struggled at times with running the offense. Reggie McKenzie will be addressing the defense this off season, both in FA and the draft. Three of the top four draft picks went on offense in 2015. I look for that to flip this year. Plus the team has upwards of $70 mill in cap space. As for Carr, he is quickly building a solid rapport with Cooper, throwing him 130 targets last year. And Raider fans are expecting HUGE strides from their QB this year. We know he's nowhere as good now as he will be when the game slows down for him. Outside of Dan Marino, no QB has thrown more TD passes in their first two seasons than Derek Carr.

Lastly on Coop, he was thrown in as the team's #1 WR last year, though Crabs played split end. He saw a LOT of #1 CBs from the opposition and they roughed him up plenty. He suffered a foot injury two thirds through the season and never really got right, hitting a wall so to speak. McKenzie considered shutting him down but the kid played through it.

Amari Cooper is going to be a good one, a cross between Cliff Branch and Tim Brown.

At halfback watch who Oakland acquires. It's a given that a change of pace for Murray is needed. But word is the team MAY not be happy with his effectiveness. If the Raiders get a Lamar Miller in free agency jump all over it. No other RB enjoyed a higher percentage of his team's carries last year than Latavius Murray, it's how Bill Musgrave rolls. But Murray also left huge chunks on the field and was less than optimal in picking up the dirty yards. The Raiders may upgrade.

Oh, and draft Clive Walford as your back up tight end.

I agree with you on Clive Walford. He is my #1 sleeper TE heading into this season.

I only like Walford in dynasty. Young tight ends need a few years to develop into the pro game.

I feel like Walford has a lot of Zach Ertz in him with the fantasy community. So much "potential" that doesn't come to fruition until later in his career. And for the owners that keep swearing by him in the early part of his career, they'll pay too much of a price with their allegiances.

Any clue what so ever why they never gave Marcel Reece the rock on a full time gig. He was/is the 1 raider I always loved, and thought he could be a great player given the opportunity. But it wasn't just 1 coaching staff, it was several that said no, and wanted something else. Any reasons for that? Several coaching staffs have to be more right than I am, so any idea what I've missed on this guy?

Just curious.

I have no idea. A serious swiss army knife who seemed good at anything he did. He had Antone Smith syndrome, no logical reason he wasnt more involved.

Just curious.

This has been a question asked on this bored for years now. My take is that the Raiders look at Reese as an H-back, not as a true tailback. He does many things well, but for some reason the team has not seen fit to use him exclusively. If you find the answer let me know. And while you're at it get an explanation for the perplexing use of Roy Helu. This team will always be the Raiders in certain ways lol...

Going further, there's been SOME talk of Resse being a cap casualty. The team is very high on Jamize Olawale in the blocking back role.

As for Walford, my thinking of course is keeper in nature. I'm not certain he'd pay off in a re-draft, but as a backup TE what's to lose? In this Raider offense, the tight end has a significant role stretching the middle of the field and also down around the goal line. The team burned a third rounder on Walford, a critical move seeing how we desperately needed a right guard and could've had AJ Cann of Alabama. The kid started the season hurt, fell behind, and didn't really get to a contributing point until mid-season. And like Coop he is quickly building a rapport with the next up and coming young QB in the league.

He's leaps and bounds better than Mychal Rivera, and should be a starter from opening kickoff in 2016. Walford is a talent, at the U he graduated as the alltime most prolific TE in the school's history. Think about that. Greg Olsen, Kellen Winslow II, Jeremy Shockey, Jimmy Graham, and Bubba Franks all went to the U.

He's flying way low under the Raidar, probably more of a sleeper candidate than a breakout player.

This has been a question asked on this bored for years now. My take is that the Raiders look at Reese as an H-back, not as a true tailback. He does many things well, but for some reason the team has not seen fit to use him exclusively. If you find the answer let me know. And while you're at it get an explanation for the perplexing use of Roy Helu. This team will always be the Raiders in certain ways lol...

Going further, there's been SOME talk of Resse being a cap casualty. The team is very high on Jamize Olawale in the blocking back role.

As for Walford, my thinking of course is keeper in nature. I'm not certain he'd pay off in a re-draft, but as a backup TE what's to lose? In this Raider offense, the tight end has a significant role stretching the middle of the field and also down around the goal line. The team burned a third rounder on Walford, a critical move seeing how we desperately needed a right guard and could've had AJ Cann of Alabama. The kid started the season hurt, fell behind, and didn't really get to a contributing point until mid-season. And like Coop he is quickly building a rapport with the next up and coming young QB in the league.

He's leaps and bounds better than Mychal Rivera, and should be a starter from opening kickoff in 2016. Walford is a talent, at the U he graduated as the alltime most prolific TE in the school's history. Think about that. Greg Olsen, Kellen Winslow II, Jeremy Shockey, Jimmy Graham, and Bubba Franks all went to the U.

He's flying way low under the Raidar, probably more of a sleeper candidate than a breakout player.

It may be that the role the Raiders pegged him with didn't allow him to be used more. I dont get why teams put guys into a certain role and then dont adjust once he shows abilities in other areas. He could be a teams #1 rb and would be just fine in that role imo. The guy really is a freak with how big he is, his catching ability, and how well he moves around in space. There a lot of coaches who are poor talent evaluators (why isnt this word in the database???), or in a similar sense are poor at adjusting their talent to an altered role.

It may be that the role the Raiders pegged him with didn't allow him to be used more. I dont get why teams put guys into a certain role and then dont adjust once he shows abilities in other areas. He could be a teams #1 rb and would be just fine in that role imo. The guy really is a freak with how big he is, his catching ability, and how well he moves around in space. There a lot of coaches who are poor talent evaluators (why isnt this word in the database???), or in a similar sense are poor at adjusting their talent to an altered role.

Well, as a Raider fan I really expect big improvement overall from the team next season. Not unlike 1999 in Jon Gruden's second year. Fans were very unhappy with Bill Musgrave as an OC last year, but in reality I don't feel he busted out more than 50-60% of his playbook. With an offensive unit so young and unused to each other (first year WR in Crabs, rookie WR in Coop, basically a rookie RB in Murray, second year QB in Carr, first year center in Rodney Hudson, rookie TE in Walford) it just wasn't feasible. This opening up of the playbook may very well include an increased role for Reece, if he stays in silver and black.

Optimism among Raider fans is very high this off-season, and for once it may have some foundation.

To add some late rounds breakout players.

Devin Funches- I know that Kelvin Benjamin will be back but seeing pictures of him at the SB he was fat. Benjamin is a guy that has always had weight and conditioning issues. Funches might be the guy in Carolina if KB keeps up his Fat Eddy impression.

Michael Floyd- He has flashed many times but next year he has the chance to be a Allen Robinson type player that gets major air target yards and has the size to win in the red zone.

Donte Moncrief- put up good numbers when Luck was playing. Chance at 3rd year WR becoming full time player over AJ and making a leap.

Jeff Janis- He looked good versus AZ in the playoffs. I know he will be at best the #3 guy in GB but that has been a spot that can produce and huge if Cobb or Nelson was to go down.

To add some late rounds breakout players.

Devin Funches- I know that Kelvin Benjamin will be back but seeing pictures of him at the SB he was fat. Benjamin is a guy that has always had weight and conditioning issues. Funches might be the guy in Carolina if KB keeps up his Fat Eddy impression.

Michael Floyd- He has flashed many times but next year he has the chance to be a Allen Robinson type player that gets major air target yards and has the size to win in the red zone.

Donte Moncrief- put up good numbers when Luck was playing. Chance at 3rd year WR becoming full time player over AJ and making a leap.

Jeff Janis- He looked good versus AZ in the playoffs. I know he will be at best the #3 guy in GB but that has been a spot that can produce and huge if Cobb or Nelson was to go down.

Three out of four ain't bad.

I'm going to say Joseph Randle. At the rate he's going he'll be breaking out of jail next year.

It's the NFL , Randle still has a shot of being back .

It's the NFL , Randle still has a shot of being back .

Not talented enough to get another chance. He's done in the NFL.

Not talented enough to get another chance. He's done in the NFL.

Oh no he is in trouble with the law , there is always room for men like Randle in the NFL . It's sad but true , and I agree with your point about his talent . But think about it if he did have the talent they would find room for him .

Oh no he is in trouble with the law , there is always room for men like Randle in the NFL . It's sad but true , and I agree with your point about his talent . But think about it if he did have the talent they would find room for him .

Agree, if you can help a team they will always find room for you, but Randle is a nickel trying to be a dime and guys like that with his record with the law don't get second chances. He's done.

Charles Sims has a great shot to breakout and break in to the top 10 RB conversation next year. He was outstanding last season in the passing game and if Doug Martin walks he could jump into a huge workload.

• Like 1