Sign in to follow this  
Hardcore troubadour

Greg Hardy

Fortunes being thrown at pass rushers and you hear nothing about this guy.

Seems like a trouble past might be catching up to him maybe?

Maybe? The guy is human garbage.

Some - stupid money fortunes... I'm glad as hell we've not jumped into the spending frenzy - also glad we've not resigned him yet... I'm not a fan of bringing him back - but if we can get him at a discounted deal, I'd consider it.

Catching up to him? Maybe?

It caught up to him well before last year. Cowboys just have zero morals.

:rolleyes:

Catching up to him? Maybe?

Agree

Some - stupid money fortunes... I'm glad as hell we've not jumped into the spending frenzy - also glad we've not resigned him yet... I'm not a fan of bringing him back - but if we can get him at a discounted deal, I'd consider it.

You're glad the Cowboys didn't do something they can't do? Even if they wanted to, they can't. Especially with Romos contract looming over them. And soon that O-line starts getting paid.

You're glad the Cowboys didn't do something they can't do? Even if they wanted to, they can't. Especially with Romos contract looming over them. And soon that O-line starts getting paid.

You should prolly educate yourself more on or cap situation.... Money is available (certainly not the degree of some teams) and of course, money can/could be freed up by doing what Jerry does best - reworking existing deals.

You should prolly educate yourself more on or cap situation.... Money is available (certainly not the degree of some teams) and of course, money can/could be freed up by doing what Jerry does best - reworking existing deals.

Well, the money available appears to be spoken for. Not many premium FA's are looking for a one year deal. If they pay someone today, they will have to let someone go down the line. And who wants to get rid of good/great O-lineman? And they have to account for Romos balloon payments coming as well. They are on the hook for him for 20+ million the next 3 years whether he plays or not.

They the Cowboys truly are in need of finding Romo's replacement . Don't see him being able to take a lot more hits .

They the Cowboys truly are in need of finding Romo's replacement . Don't see him being able to take a lot more hits .

The Cowboys are talented and I would bet they won't be picking fourth again over the next few years. Jerry says he's not taking a QB at 4. So at some point they may have to buck up and pay for a replacement for Romo, or go with an unknown. They have to factor that in when spending on FA's.

I don't see how the Cowboys don't take Joey Bosa or Jalen Ramsey. They need a pass rusher after losing Hardy and Gregory for four games. Bosa's character issues make him a perfect fit for the stars. As for Ramsey, he'd immediately upgrade a secondary in dire need of help.

The Cowboys if they're smart will take a quarterback later in the draft. But to spend the number four pick on a backup when their defense is muck would be the most Jerry Jones thing ever. And fortunately, or unfortunately, he's been seemingly less involved in the draft process...which has led to some decent picks in recent years (see the OL)

Bet ARIZ signs him

If they do it will be later to a 1 yr contract, which means everyone passed all summer on him.

No way the Cards make any commitment in such a contract.

Raider fans are torn... some subscribe to the old eye patch philosophy, even with Hardy's alleged abuse. Others abhor him, in light of what happened within the Raider family to Fred Biletnikoff's daughter. Our owner, the only one that counts, is firmly in the latter category.

This ^

If anything Jones is a master at manipulating the cap. Smith is already taken care of, as is Collins. They can backload Frederick, then Martin, to where the true hits come later. Dallas isn't spending money now because it's a new direction for them. I do feel they will heavily regret not going an extra $500K on Miller.

Well, the money available appears to be spoken for. Not many premium FA's are looking for a one year deal. If they pay someone today, they will have to let someone go down the line. And who wants to get rid of good/great O-lineman? And they have to account for Romos balloon payments coming as well. They are on the hook for him for 20+ million the next 3 years whether he plays or not.

Parts of this are true for sure.. It would be nice to take the big hit on Romo's deal and get it out of the way - but restructuring is always a possibility.. But there's money to be had if needed. This team is not strapped to the degree you think.

Parts of this are true for sure.. It would be nice to take the big hit on Romo's deal and get it out of the way - but restructuring is always a possibility.. But there's money to be had if needed. This team is not strapped to the degree you think.

On the surface, no. But they have to keep some money at bay, because there is a real possibility that Romo could be lost for good. It restricts the amount they can lay out. And let's face it, building a team based on the run and defense and then giving a huge contract to a WR with some risk wasn't the greatest strategic move, regardless of how good Dez is.

...And let's face it, building a team based on the run and defense and then giving a huge contract to a WR with some risk wasn't the greatest strategic move, regardless of how good Dez is.

If you want to argue signing Dez (to that deal) based on what he does (or doesn't) bring to the field - fair enough.. But the Chicken Little, Sky is Falling routine is really getting old. He's no bigger risk than most - in fact he's been damn near an off the field ghost... Here's a tip - there is no video, never was one - prolly should stop waiting (and hoping) for it to come out... And please tell me how this team's strategy was based on defense - you must be joking.. This team's Achilles' heel has been defense for a long time now - what you've seen is a simple attempt to keep the damn from breaking.

If you want to argue signing Dez (to that deal) based on what he does (or doesn't) bring to the field - fair enough.. But the Chicken Little, Sky is Falling routine is really getting old. He's no bigger risk than most - in fact he's been damn near an off the field ghost... Here's a tip - there is no video, never was one - prolly should stop waiting (and hoping) for it to come out... And please tell me how this team's strategy was based on defense - you must be joking.. This team's Achilles' heel has been defense for a long time now - what you've seen is a simple attempt to keep the damn from breaking.

I didnt say he's done anything. But he does have the risk, which is why he fell to the Cowboys in the first place. and I'm not hoping he does get in trouble. He's a beast and plays his ass off. Could do without the sideline theatrics, but he's not alone with that stuff.

:rolleyes:

I need to see nothing more than that to know you are a Cowboys fan.

So are you saying a team with Morals would sign Hardy?

Careful as no one signed him the first time around, except the Cowboys.

And no one has signed him yet and are even thinking about it.

Dallas ended up signing Cedric Thornton.

This could be a vastly underrated signing IMHO. A lot of Eagles fans (myself included) wanted them to be able to retain both Vinny Curry and Thornton.

I need to see nothing more than that to know you are a Cowboys fan.

So are you saying a team with Morals would sign Hardy?

And no one has signed him yet and are even thinking about it.

I've been a Cowboys fan since before you likely born... Absolutely I am, and had you been around here since '99 - you would know that nobody is harder on his own team than me... The fact that you look to a football team as a guiding moral compass actually says more about you than it does the team.. That being said, the Cowboys are no different than the rest of the 32 other teams in the league. Sure some will dodge a particular player here and there. But in the end, they all have their skeletons and they all have had a run with bad character players from time to time.. This franchise has actually been one of the better behaved ones of recent memory...From 2000 thru 2013, Dallas ranked 23rd lowest in team arrests, tying them with the Pats at 15.. In the last 5 years, Dallas ranked tied for 16th - meaning 15 other teams were worse... Hardy was a gamble for the sole reason is that he could play. At the time it wasn't officially known what or how bad he had beaten that girl - it was simply alleged... Now that that proof has come out, and now that I've seen a year of what he brings the field - I have no desire to resign him... The FA season is just now underway - somebody will sign him, hopefully not us - but somebody will.

I've been a Cowboys fan since before you likely born... Absolutely I am, and had you been around here since '99 - you would know that nobody is harder on his own team than me... The fact that you look to a football team as a guiding moral compass actually says more about you than it does the team.. That being said, the Cowboys are no different than the rest of the 32 other teams in the league. Sure some will dodge a particular player here and there. But in the end, they all have their skeletons and they all have had a run with bad character players from time to time.. This franchise has actually been one of the better behaved ones of recent memory...From 2000 thru 2013, Dallas ranked 23rd lowest in team arrests, tying them with the Pats at 15.. In the last 5 years, Dallas ranked tied for 16th - meaning 15 other teams were worse... Hardy was a gamble for the sole reason is that he could play. At the time it wasn't officially known what or how bad he had beaten that girl - it was simply alleged... Now that that proof has come out, and now that I've seen a year of what he brings the field - I have no desire to resign him... The FA season is just now underway - somebody will sign him, hopefully not us - but somebody will.

I'm pretty certain you are right, wins matter more than anything in the NFL, so Hardy will sign somewhere.

But then again maybe not, which he shouldnt, because Rice wasnt and some view Hardys infraction just as bad with or without video.

But then again maybe not, which he shouldnt, because Rice wasnt and some view Hardys infraction just as bad with or without video.

Rice, Hardy, whomever - if they have met all league requirements, fulfilled all their (legal and league) penalty obligations - why shouldn't they be allowed to play? Bcoz of your moral compass? That makes no sense.... And it wasn't that Rice wasn't allowed to play - it's that no team saw any probative value in bringing him in.. Need proof? See Adrian Peterson.. Believe you me, if Rice had the skill set of AP - he would have been on a team as soon as he became eligible... And as long as Hardy can be of service on the field, he will be too.

Rice, Hardy, whomever - if they have met all league requirements, fulfilled all their (legal and league) penalty obligations - why shouldn't they be allowed to play? Bcoz of your moral compass? That makes no sense.... And it wasn't that Rice wasn't allowed to play - it's that no team saw any probative value in bringing him in.. Need proof? See Adrian Peterson.. Believe you me, if Rice had the skill set of AP - he would have been on a team as soon as he became eligible... And as long as Hardy can be of service on the field, he will be too.

Then why don't you want the Cowboys to sign him?

Just because a guy has talent doesn't mean that he's the best fit for their particular team. The Cowboys made an effort with Hardy. Along the way he ended up causing more trouble than he was worth for a team that ultimately suffered too many injuries at key positions to compete. That doesn't negate his talent level.

The problem with the Cowboys' approach towards signing Hardy was that they truly believed they were a piece or two defensively from winning a division most, if not all, predicted they would win going away. That wasn't the case. They needed to build the lines and the secondary through younger players, not a veteran who missed last season.

Dallas signed Cedric Thornton along their defensive line in free agency. That's a SOLID free agent acquisition that gives them a young talent for multiple years to build the defensive line. Randy Gregory, despite his off the field incident(s), is another young talent to build the defense around.

A guy like Hardy is needed on a team that not only has the pieces in place to keep him towing the company line (coach, ownership, veterans), but also one that doesn't feel compelled towards making him seem like HE'S the missing piece. There are teams out there that could use him and his skill-set. How many of them is still up in the air...but just because one team or it's fan base isn't enthusiastic about Hardy doesn't mean he's in the same boat as a guy like Ray Rice.

Hardy did have more sacks last season than Malik Jackson or Mario Williams, two guys that made a good amount of money in free agency. And given the reports that Williams gave up on the team last season, I don't see much difference in baggage other than the domestic violence issue (not downplaying that at all). Among qualified running backs in 2013, Ray Rice had the 4th lowest yards per carry in the NFL. The only three people behind him were Trent Richardson, Bernard Pierce, and Willis McGahee. All three of them are just as irrelevant as Rice now.

All I know is in the New England game Hardy was unstoppable in the first half, keeping Dallas in that game and making Brady's life miserable. Thought at that point Dallas had made a genius move, yet it never panned out. I would say Hardy was not the main issue on that team's losing season.

for men, the same reason i didn't want them to sign TO, who i don't think has ever done anything out of line off the field. same reason i wouldn't want richie incognito. i just don't like the guy, and i don't want to see him with a star on his helmet.

marvin harrison--who used to be one of my all-time favorite players--almost certainly committed premeditated murder, and he just got inducted to the HOF. had he played for dallas, it would be a media firestorm...because cowboys. it would be a jerry bash-fest. but somehow ozzie gets a pass on ray lewis and ray rice.

it's actually comical.

Let me restate: I do not want the Boys to resign him for market value, which is prolly in the range of $10-14m a year... Partly bcoz his performance does not merit that kind of cap commitment, and partly bcoz for that much money he's not worth the headache... Now, if he wanted to take $6m - absolutely - that would be a value based signing. Especially considering the woes we are facing on the defensive front.

Dallas has more than $14m in space at the start of Free Agency. There are a few very simple restructures that get them to $26m without hurting them long term.

So in short, the Cowboys could have done anything they want.

But in the Cowboys defense,last year was one of those years when very few players signed and played for multiple teams. In fact, I have some questions on if it's even allowed. :dunno: