Sign in to follow this  
Brutal Brutus

QB Draft Strategy

I'm not sure there is a more polarizing topic in fantasy draft strategies. I see over twenty QBs this year that could form a decent platoon situation, is it crazy to wait until the last 4 or 5 rounds before drafting a couple QBs? Do you think a Dalton/Tannehill esque combo will be good enough?

I'm not sure there is a more polarizing topic in fantasy draft strategies. I see over twenty QBs this year that could form a decent platoon situation, is it crazy to wait until the last 4 or 5 rounds before drafting a couple QBs? Do you think a Dalton/Tannehill esque combo will be good enough?

I think that's just fine in a draft this year. I waited a long time in my draft and took Dalton and Fitzpatrick. Not exactly the guys I wanted since I was planning on Rivers or Stafford but they went earlier than I liked.

Romo went undrafted in my 10tm, that shows how undervalued qb has become. Romo is one of the best regular season qbs ever and a lock for 3800 30 if he plays.

Romo went undrafted in my 10tm, that shows how undervalued qb has become. Romo is one of the best regular season qbs ever and a lock for 3800 30 if he plays.

Big IF though, that why additional risk is baked into his price.

Palmer was undrafted last year in lots of league's too. He also tanked a bunch of folks in week 25 vs Philly. David Johnson went to town.

Still, there's the ugly side of waiting: Kap, Tanny, Teddy and Bradford were common 'wait and be fine' targets last year for instance.

The goal should be getting top 5 or 6 weekly production as cheaply as possible. The catch: this production has to be predictable enough so that you aren't constantly 'starting the wrong qb'.

The only way you can take a qb before...let's say the 7th round is if you expect a top 3 performance by a decent weekly margin. If you're right, maybe you're okay. Otherwise, you lose and you need other success outside of the top 50 picks to save you.

Throw this all out if your league has outlandish qb scorning where a good qb outscored Antonio Brown's absurd season by hundreds of points last year. In that case, take brees and paid him with your favorite 'wait' qb. Start brees at home. Every time. Go forth.

A guy I've seen fall in a ton of drafts thus far is Matt Ryan. If the 2nd WR on that team, whomever steps up, can emerge as a viable threat on Sundays, Ryan could vastly outproduce his current draft position.

I usually wait until later to get my starter, a Palmer/Eli/Bortles/Rivers/Carr this year. But I almost always follow it up with a high upside QB2. There's plenty this year. Cousins, Winston, Mariota, Stafford, Taylor, etc.

I just feel there's no reason to get stuck with a QB who has little to no chance of putting big points.

A guy I've seen fall in a ton of drafts thus far is Matt Ryan. If the 2nd WR on that team, whomever steps up, can emerge as a viable threat on Sundays, Ryan could vastly outproduce his current draft position.

This is one dude I want no part of. His upside is very limited. He had an easy sched last year and was very mediocre last year. Had him in my big money league and he didn't help my team at all.

This is one dude I want no part of. His upside is very limited. He had an easy sched last year and was very mediocre last year. Had him in my big money league and he didn't help my team at all.

People finally realized that 26-28tds and qb7 at most is not a great upside for fantasy production. If you cant sniff 30, you are not even on my draft list.

Not advocating Ryan to be reached higher than his current ADP (QB19), but if you're waiting on a QB...pairing he and a guy like Stafford could be a solid tandem at a very affordable cost.

Palmer was undrafted last year in lots of league's too. He also tanked a bunch of folks in week 25 vs Philly. David Johnson went to town.

Still, there's the ugly side of waiting: Kap, Tanny, Teddy and Bradford were common 'wait and be fine' targets last year for instance.

The goal should be getting top 5 or 6 weekly production as cheaply as possible. The catch: this production has to be predictable enough so that you aren't constantly 'starting the wrong qb'.

The only way you can take a qb before...let's say the 7th round is if you expect a top 3 performance by a decent weekly margin. If you're right, maybe you're okay. Otherwise, you lose and you need other success outside of the top 50 picks to save you.

Throw this all out if your league has outlandish qb scorning where a good qb outscored Antonio Brown's absurd season by hundreds of points last year. In that case, take brees and paid him with your favorite 'wait' qb. Start brees at home. Every time. Go forth.

That's true but QBs like Fitzpatrick and Cousins were there to pick up and fill in nicely. Look how many leagues Cousin won last year and how many top QBs sucked at that time. I waited last year and took Tannehill and Bridgewater, two of the guys you mentioned. It sucked and I just streamed guys which got be by until Wilson came available on waivers and he put me into the playoffs and into some money.

In most of my mocks I've been playing around with drafting Brady and pairing him up with someone really late. If I miss out on Brady I still wait and see whats available late. Ive seen a lot of this (12 team):

7.04 - Brady / 11.04 Carr

7.04 - Brady / 13.4 Tannehill

or any combo or Carr/Tannehill/Taylor between rounds 11-13.

Cousins/Bortles/Rivers/Palmer seem to go too early for this strategy. I'd need to snag Rivers a couple rounds before I'd usually target Carr. If Rivers fell to around 10 i'd probably take him.