Sign in to follow this  
WhiteWonder

Photography Geeks

Any recommendations on an entry level camera that would be good for both vacation photos as well as someone looking to take beginner photography classes?

....for a family member

I prefer the Canon family, been shooting with them my entire life, give them good grades in durability, ease to use, price.  Video features, resolution, are probably a step ahead of everyone else.   Experts will tell you that Nikons deliver better picture quality, but that's seriously behind my ability to differentiate.   I was going to recommend getting a Canon Kit, like one of these---good for starting out, ability to grow...but I just came across the recently released Canon EOS M50 and wow, great camera for someone starting out!   Really good reviews

Besides photography classes, I would strongly suggest find local photo clubs---often they will have monthly contests that are basically an excuse to shoot something new and different out of your comfort zone.   Plus you meet local and experience photographers who are always willing to check out your stuff, critique and suggest ways to improve.   

Just my 2 cents, but I'm just the bored idiot.   

Well it's my mother so my guess is she will get bored of "taking up photgraphy" pretty quickly but thanks for the suggestions. 

I'd like to get her something quality that doesn't break the bank (due to her potentially losing interest and it collecting dust). I'll check out that one canon you linked.

4 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Well it's my mother so my guess is she will get bored of "taking up photgraphy" pretty quickly but thanks for the suggestions. 

I'd like to get her something quality that doesn't break the bank (due to her potentially losing interest and it collecting dust). I'll check out that one canon you linked.

Well that's one for the beginner photographer so it would be really good, especially because it takes out a lot of the super advanced screens, modes, menus that you don't need 99% of the time. If you don't want to break the bank, check out B&H and Ebay for models that are couple of years out(used & refurbished)---in terms of quality of the picture, a 2015 camera is going to deliver a photo just as good for an new photographer as anything you buy new today.   When you boil it all down, cameras are cameras, it's the shooter that makes the pictures(though really nice lens can make a bit of difference - :D

Smith and Wesson M&P or Springfield XD for starters.

Have fun.

We have a canon t3...works well...relatively inexpensive. Came with a couple lenses on qvc.  Still works great

Got my wife the canon t6 dslr camera for Christmas. She loves it and it was a good starter camera for her

I take thousands of forensic photographs every year.  Any SLR from Canon or Nikon is fine.  I know some people that use auto mode for 90% of their forensic photos.  Google F stops, shutter speed, depth of field when you wanna graduate off auto mode. Get you a decent, cheapish tripod too.

Remember, its all about light. You can take a pic in the dead of night using moonlight, and the pic looks like you took it in daylight.  Painting with light with a flashlight is pretty cool too.

Nikon D-80 is a good entry level body that you can build off of with different accessories as you go. They're fairly inexpensive as Nikons go and versatile enough to go from beginner to intermediate.