Sign in to follow this  
sderk

Kareem Hunt as a keeper

I have Hunt as a keeper through 2020 if I want. The problem is I have him at 10% of salary cap. At the start of the season I can put him on inactive reserve for half the salary cap hit. This would be fine if he was the starting RB in KC, but being a currently suspended back up in CLE, who knows what is in store for him as far a fantasy contribution?

I can drop him and re-bid on him at auction, which I think the biggest competition would be the  Chubb owner who has Chubb as a keeper for 3% of cap. 

What do you all anticipate the role of Hunt will be over the next 2 years? Think he gets traded if Chubb is dominant early? Or do you think CLE will simply use him as a slot guy or possibly take over as RB1 in CLE?

I dont think he is worth anywhere near 10% of the cap. If you cant trade him I would dump him and let the Chubb owner over spend. I doubt Hunt lasts more than a year in Cleveland anyway.

Depending on your leagues rules, couldn't this be an opportunity to get him back at less than 10% and keep him at an even greater value next year? If you let him go and can get him back for less than 5%, will you be able to keep him for that lower % next year?

14 minutes ago, Brutal Brutus said:

Depending on your leagues rules, couldn't this be an opportunity to get him back at less than 10% and keep him at an even greater value next year? If you let him go and can get him back for less than 5%, will you be able to keep him for that lower % next year?

this is my thought on it. plus, clev has experimented with duke in the slot (and has a role as pass-catching rb).

3 hours ago, Brutal Brutus said:

Yes. I can throw him back and if I get him for 5%, I can keep him for up to 4 more years. Number of years needs to be stated at the auction though as we give out contracts to players in our league.  This is what would increase his value for those who think he will emerge either in cleveland or elsewhere. 

8 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I dont think he is worth anywhere near 10% of the cap. If you cant trade him I would dump him and let the Chubb owner over spend. I doubt Hunt lasts more than a year in Cleveland anyway.

For sure he isn't worth 10% this year, I was thinking about the following year. But yeah, I'll probably drop him. My league does have an inactive reserve spot that would keep him rostered for 50% of his cap hit. But if I pull him off that designation, it goes back up to the 10%. 

37 minutes ago, Super Cubs said:

I'm curious if he's really good or a product of the KC system?

I would ask a question like this about maybe someone like Conner, but definitely not about Hunt. I think he is the real deal. Although, a bit light on the intelligence out in the real world. 

Unless than is a dynasty league, drop his ass. He's not worth much than a late round pick in my book, and even then, barring an injury the Browns would be crazy to play him more than 5-10 touches per game.

well, his value is definitely more in the future (if he can get his act together) than it is in the present.

Lots of teams will not bid on a player who will not give a huge return on value in year 1.

so if you are spending 10% of your cap monies on him, I do think there is likely value in throwing him back and re-bidding on him.

My guess is you would get him at 6% of cap.  Maybe as high as 8% depending on whether anyone out there really believes in him. 

If you are lucky everyone is sour on him and you get him at less than 5%.

one thing I will agree on..... 10% of cap is an overpay for this kid given the current circumstances.

5 hours ago, Ray_T said:

well, his value is definitely more in the future (if he can get his act together) than it is in the present.

Lots of teams will not bid on a player who will not give a huge return on value in year 1.

so if you are spending 10% of your cap monies on him, I do think there is likely value in throwing him back and re-bidding on him.

My guess is you would get him at 6% of cap.  Maybe as high as 8% depending on whether anyone out there really believes in him. 

If you are lucky everyone is sour on him and you get him at less than 5%.

one thing I will agree on..... 10% of cap is an overpay for this kid given the current circumstances.

I agree. And if nothing else, maybe I can simply bid up the Chubb owner. He will definitely want him as Hunt is a starting RB as a backup. And he can consider putting him under a longer contract if cheap.

Depends on what league he is playing in. If he earns his way to the prison league, his value might shoot up to 25%.