KSB2424

Why haven't the Patriots signed Cam Newton?

2 minutes ago, Strike said:

What's the point of getting a bunch of guys to catch the ball if you don't have anyone who can throw it within 10 yards of them? 

Right, and Henry has proven that he absolutely can't stay on the field.

agholor, borne, henry, jonnu.... not terrible.  Is edelman coming back?

3 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

agholor, borne, henry, jonnu.... not terrible.  Is edelman coming back?

Edelman is iffy and has balky knees. N'Keal Harry on the trading block.

• Like 1

You can certainly win a super bowl with an elite defense and an average QB.  I think you'd need elite WRs tho.  They need to trade for OBJ before I sign off on a real shot at a super bowl.

A super bowl champ can look like this:

Franchise QB
WR that you can go over the top with
2 stud pass rushers
cleanup safety
strong special teams

Altho you can do:

average QB
1 more elite offensive player (RB, TE, WR) that can get open on his own
2 stud pass rushers
cleanup safety
strong special teams

Patriots will be attempting the second one it seems:

Average QB:  Cam Newton?
WR to go over the top with : Agholor?
1 more elite offensive player (both Jonnu and Henry)
2 stud pass rushers:  Judon and  Hightower/Winovich?)
cleanup safety:   Chung
strong special teams: yes and resigned Bethel which is not a minor thing.

Dunno if this will work.  I would select Rousseau in round 1 (pass rush) and maybe Mac Jones in round 2.  probably take two OL in the 3rd and 4th and they have multiple picks down there.

5 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

Franchise QB
2 stud pass rushers
cleanup safety
strong special teams

Altho you can do:

average QB
2 stud pass rushers
cleanup safety
strong special teams

Dunno if this will work.  I would select Rousseau in round 1 (pass rush) and maybe Mac Jones in round 2.  probably take two OL in the 3rd and 4th and they have multiple picks down there.

There is no formula. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

There is no formula. 

yah there is. in the modern nfl, sometimes there is no great team so the champ is random like last year.

the rams are following the formula.  they have elite pass rush.  they have an elite safety.  special teams was bad last year ad they hired the best special teams coach this offseason and thats often a 1 year turnaround, so the special teams will be very good.  qb got upgraded.  they have to be among the favorites.  they made huge upgrades in the correct ways.

the two most improved teams this offseason are the rams and patriots.  maybe they meet in the super bowl a third time.

47 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

Franchise QB
2 stud pass rushers
cleanup safety
strong special teams

Altho you can do:

average QB
2 stud pass rushers
cleanup safety
strong special teams

Chung may not even play. Duggar is the real deal and Phillips is better than Chung. Pats still have lots of holes (C) with the big one being QB. 

On 3/16/2021 at 6:48 PM, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Chung may not even play. Duggar is the real deal and Phillips is better than Chung. Pats still have lots of holes (C) with the big one being QB. 

Chung announced his retirement today. Filled the hole at center with Karras. Added Van Noy back into the mix. Still need to address QB.

2 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Chung announced his retirement today. Filled the hole at center with Karras. Added Van Noy back into the mix. Still need to address QB.

Not busting balls, but how? I thought Fitz might be a fit, but he’s gone. Jimmy G? It’s a mess out there for QB right now. 

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Not busting balls, but how? I thought Fitz might be a fit, but he’s gone. Jimmy G? It’s a mess out there for QB right now. 

I thought Fitz was a fit too. Apparently too much of a gunslinger for BB. Jimmy G is a long-shot now and Watson is even a longer shot. Cam is basically getting backup money, though.

My guess is that they look at options like:

• Drafting a guy (can they move up? probably not unless something else happens)
  • Make a trade for a guy like Minshew (at least he doesn't have Cam's noodle arm)
  • Trying to be like the Ravens - good defense, mobile QB, good backs, 2 TE's who can catch, hope you don't have to pass the ball

I don't think that they are done making moves. Gilmore is still a potential trade guy (2nd rounder?). A team may try to sign JC Jackson (2nd round tender). Hightower is likely going to be a restructure. They have a little over $11m in cap right now (best guess) and they could make a move for a QB, but I don't think it will be anything that puts them into the AFC Championship picture. That is just how it works out sometimes. :dunno: 

Patriots just made a trade with the Texans! :banana:

Ryan Izzo for a 7th rounder in 2022 😐

1 hour ago, edjr said:

Ryan Izzo for a 7th rounder in 2022 😐

I wonder if it is a conditional 7th rounder (only if he makes the team in 2021). He isn't worth squat.

1 minute ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

I wonder if it is a conditional 7th rounder (only if he makes the team in 2021). He isn't worth squat.

2 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

I thought Fitz was a fit too. Apparently too much of a gunslinger for BB. Jimmy G is a long-shot now and Watson is even a longer shot. Cam is basically getting backup money, though.

My guess is that they look at options like:

• Drafting a guy (can they move up? probably not unless something else happens)
  • Make a trade for a guy like Minshew (at least he doesn't have Cam's noodle arm)
  • Trying to be like the Ravens - good defense, mobile QB, good backs, 2 TE's who can catch, hope you don't have to pass the ball

I don't think that they are done making moves. Gilmore is still a potential trade guy (2nd rounder?). A team may try to sign JC Jackson (2nd round tender). Hightower is likely going to be a restructure. They have a little over $11m in cap right now (best guess) and they could make a move for a QB, but I don't think it will be anything that puts them into the AFC Championship picture. That is just how it works out sometimes. :dunno: 

Well, one thing I have learned this year, is that the salary cap doesn’t matter if the team doesn’t want it to. Cowboys cleared up 17 million in a few hours.  The Giants are signing everyone they can get their hands  on, and they have no cap room either. The cap only counts when you want it to count.