Sign in to follow this  
kutulu

Lamar Miller Signs with Patriots

Mmm another one of those moves by the Pats. 

Michel isn’t going to start the season, so it’s a sold move, he should provide depth. 

Harris I would think might get a shot at starting. 

Lamar Miller has never been a flashy RB to own but I've found more often than not I was glad to have him around on my team.

He could be their top RB and should be fresh. It's always hard to tell about RBs for the Patriots but I could see him being a flex option.

Without preseason games, it’s going to be hard to gage how much game he still has, he’s only 29 years young, but he did miss the whole 2019 season, and with the rotation at that rb position, wow another season I’ll be staying away from the Pats. 

Maybe pick up Michel for later on when he returns.  

55 minutes ago, polecatt said:

Lamar Miller has never been a flashy RB to own but I've found more often than not I was glad to have him around on my team.

He could be their top RB and should be fresh. It's always hard to tell about RBs for the Patriots but I could see him being a flex option.

Yeah I kept him in my deep dynasty league just to see if he signed anywhere.

If he’s healthy who knows.   

Don’t see why the Pats would pick Miller up to replace a unhealthy rb if Miller wasn’t healthy.  

Biggest question I have, how does he fit into the rotation, and does he still have enough left in the tank to perform.  

12 hours ago, polecatt said:

True.  but I dont think hes ever been more than a high end RB2.

any year you payed an RB1 price for him, he disappointed.   

but if you paid a price comparable to an RB2 or lower, he has rarely disappointed.

in this case, Its not clear cut that he will be the starter, but he is a pass catching back (which Belechick likes)  so I think he will get some play.

I'd draft him as a high end reserve (or RB4) and hold on the speculation he may have a few good games.   

If he actually becomes the starter, he could be an RB2.  for me, that's his maximum upside.  but everything would have to go right for him to achieve this potential.

Pats RB's are fine if desperate or a bye. They had like two consistent RB's in the past five years and both were flukes. Blount with all his GL runs one year and then one year they had one RB left due to injuries. Outside of that not worth drafting any of them. Way better options.  

1 minute ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

Pats RB's are fine if desperate or a bye. They had like two consistent RB's in the past five years and both were flukes. Blount with all his GL runs one year and then one year they had one RB left due to injuries. Outside of that not worth drafting any of them. Way better options.  

true.  its usually a RBBC situation.  each back has a specific role in the offense.

but this may be the first time the team has had a back capable of playing 3 downs on this roster.  Miller can run, and he can catch.   Provided hes fully recovered from his injury, its a decent skill set for the pats to work with.

I personally believe they will be running multiple pass catching backs (similar to the 2 TE offense the pats ran with Gronk and Hernandez) to try to keep teams off balance.

if this is the case, I'd look at subpar numbers from the WR's and possibly more than one draftable RB.

of course.... its still early.    This prediction could be way off, but I do know Belichick likes to run some different things in his offense to keep defenses on their toes.  This year I think this may be the way he does it.   I dont know that he has the TE talent to do it anymore.

2 hours ago, Ray_T said:

True.  but I dont think hes ever been more than a high end RB2.

any year you payed an RB1 price for him, he disappointed.   

but if you paid a price comparable to an RB2 or lower, he has rarely disappointed.

in this case, Its not clear cut that he will be the starter, but he is a pass catching back (which Belechick likes)  so I think he will get some play.

I'd draft him as a high end reserve (or RB4) and hold on the speculation he may have a few good games.   

If he actually becomes the starter, he could be an RB2.  for me, that's his maximum upside.  but everything would have to go right for him to achieve this potential.

I saw somewhere that one reason they liked him was his pass blocking ability. Not really big for fantasy purposes but if Bill likes it, he'll see some snaps.

It's hard to think he will overtake James White as the main receiving RB but he should get a respectable amount of targets. He should get a reasonable amount of carries too. Michel is about the only RB they have that may be a better runner. If Miller is close to full strength, I think he's probably better than Michel too.

It's certainly not good if he's your best RB or probably even the 2nd. He could be a good flex option though many weeks, and reliable depth. If you're think at RB, he could end up being a serviceable 2nd RB. Not a bad guy to have around but not someone to overpay for either.

Fantasy Pros isn't bible but he's not even on any tiers. Way way down off the screen. I'd rather go with a rookie flyer at that point which I always do that late. Lamar won't be getting drafted in most leagues. 

4 hours ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

Fantasy Pros isn't bible but he's not even on any tiers. Way way down off the screen. I'd rather go with a rookie flyer at that point which I always do that late. Lamar won't be getting drafted in most leagues. 

well, up until a couple days ago, Miller didnt even have a team to play for.

I'll bet if you went back there in a week or two, he'd be on their rankings list.

My guess is these websites update their rankings every week or two. 

I dont know that this is a big enough move to make them alter their normal schedule to re rank all their RB's to please the 3 or 4 people who care about where he would be ranked.

4 hours ago, polecatt said:

I saw somewhere that one reason they liked him was his pass blocking ability. Not really big for fantasy purposes but if Bill likes it, he'll see some snaps.

It's hard to think he will overtake James White as the main receiving RB but he should get a respectable amount of targets. He should get a reasonable amount of carries too. Michel is about the only RB they have that may be a better runner. If Miller is close to full strength, I think he's probably better than Michel too.

It's certainly not good if he's your best RB or probably even the 2nd. He could be a good flex option though many weeks, and reliable depth. If you're think at RB, he could end up being a serviceable 2nd RB. Not a bad guy to have around but not someone to overpay for either.

I think he will be a staple in their hurry up offense.  

2 RB sets.   one or both go out for passes.   as both RB's are good pass catchers, I would think it may create a few mismatches in the secondary.   

This is the ultimate setup for a dink and dunk offense.   I bet these RB's will get a lot of checkdown throws with this young QB they have.

the only question I have is who gets the most play?

if its split 50-50 both could be RB3.  (low end RB2 at best)

if split differently, the one getting the most love will likely be a RB2.

That being said, since Belichick has been coach, the one thing you can count on is that the RB who burns you this week is unlikely to be the one who burns the team they play next week.

As a fantasy owner, this is frustrating beyond belief, and I generally stay away from RB's for the pats for this reason (unless drafting them very late)

I'm fine having one of them as a RB3 or RB4.  I just dont want a pats RB as a fantasy starter.

It was just updated. He was down there. He might be ok for a bye/injury. I wasted a pick on rookie year Boston Scott and some other nobody so I guess I could do worse. I always use the last couple picks though on rookies. Have to do it or you'll never get a Kamara steal IMO.

7 hours ago, polecatt said:

Question? Are you saying Miller right now is better than Michel? 

Im  just trying to understand what your saying about the two players. 

Thanks. 

On 8/11/2020 at 8:15 PM, weepaws said:

Question? Are you saying Miller right now is better than Michel? 

Im  just trying to understand what your saying about the two players. 

Thanks. 

If he's healthy, then yeah, I think he's probably a little bit better than Michel

On 8/11/2020 at 5:27 PM, Ray_T said:

I think he will be a staple in their hurry up offense.  

2 RB sets.   one or both go out for passes.   as both RB's are good pass catchers, I would think it may create a few mismatches in the secondary.   

This is the ultimate setup for a dink and dunk offense.   I bet these RB's will get a lot of checkdown throws with this young QB they have.

the only question I have is who gets the most play?

if its split 50-50 both could be RB3.  (low end RB2 at best)

if split differently, the one getting the most love will likely be a RB2.

That being said, since Belichick has been coach, the one thing you can count on is that the RB who burns you this week is unlikely to be the one who burns the team they play next week.

As a fantasy owner, this is frustrating beyond belief, and I generally stay away from RB's for the pats for this reason (unless drafting them very late)

I'm fine having one of them as a RB3 or RB4.  I just dont want a pats RB as a fantasy starter.

Yeah, that's about how I feel about them too.

I don't tend to rely on Patriots RBs that often. I have picked up James White to keep him on the bench for emergency purposes in PPR leagues, but outside of that, not crazy about Patriots RBs.

24 minutes ago, polecatt said:

If he's healthy, then yeah, I think he's probably a little bit better than Michel

Thank you.  

Just saw that also. 

6 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

That's only pending physical.  Assuming he passes it, he'll be good to go.  If he fails it, they're probably going to release him.

That is quite often the way it goes.

they may hang onto him if he is close to passing and the doc feels he needs a couple more weeks.

if the doc says its gonna be at least 4-6 months, He will be dropped like a bad habit or they will re negotiate the contract to make it an extremely team friendly deal.

Edit: although my understanding is that it is already team friendly, so not sure how much better they can make the deal.