Sign in to follow this  
AxeElf

Axe Elf Breaks the Seal

4 hours ago, AxeElf said:

...And the magic continues.  The Virus win 79.90 - 75.54, and are at .500 again for the first time since Week 2, 6-6 and riding a 5 game winning streak after starting the season 1-6.

MVP award goes to Raheem Mostert, whose selfless fumble for the Rams' Scoop N Score provided the margin of victory.  We didn't even have that play drawn up; Mostert just improvised it on the fly.  I wasn't expecting it, but he definitely saved our bacon this week with his quick thinking.

Congratulations to EVERY member of my team who pulled their weight and made our Week 12 motto come true...

No Thielen...

No QB...

NO PROBLEM!

congrats. 

you are not in yet, but you have put yourself in a postiion where you can get there.

I think my game is pretty much set.

My opponent has Tua and Trubisky on the bench, but I'm 99% sure he's keeping Cousins in his lineup--because Cousins has been his starter since draft day, and because in addition to the double-dip he gets with Justin Jefferson, he probly also sees Cousins as a counterpunch to my Thielen this week as well.  So there's no way he's not starting Cousins.

At RB, he's pretty much locked into Gallman and McKissic, with only the inactive Prosise and McCaffrey at RB on his bench.  Gallman's track record over the last 5 weeks is pretty scary, but he's not Derrick Henry, and a TD a week is a tough pace to maintain--especially against the #3 run defense in the NFL.  Still, with Daniel Jones out, the Giants may lean heavily on the run game, so Gallman should be one of the key players in this matchup--shut him down, and I'll have a good shot, but another 15ish game from him will do damage.  McKissic isn't as threatening in half-PPR, and they're facing a stout PIT D as well, so barring a freak TD or something, I'm penciling in McKissic for about 5-6 pts.

With Andy Isabella as his only active alternative, he also seems pretty much locked into Justin Jefferson, Tyler Boyd, and Breshad Perriman as his WRs and Flex.  I can only hope Jefferson falls back into the #2 role after his huge game last week.  Boyd has a backup QB on the road against a fair Miami defense--and he's scored fewer than 8 fantasy points in 2 of his last 3 games anyway.  Perriman is kind of the wildcard here; he can be completely quiet--or he could have 2 long TDs against one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL (and one would expect the Jets will be throwing to keep up with the Raiders).

He has the choice of Logan Thomas or Robert Tonyan at TE, Thomas @ PIT is in his lineup right now, but I could see him opting for Tonyan at home vs the Eagles, too.  Either way, I'd consider them roughly equivalent to my Ebron at home vs WAS.

He has replaced the WAS D in his lineup with the Vikes, so I assume he's going with them against JAX, which probly gives him an advantage at D over my Rams @ Arizona.

My lineup is also largely "Locked" with Drew at QB, Mostert and Hines at RB (RoJo on bye), Thielen and Woods at WR, Ebron at TE, and the Rams D--that only leaves the flex, and I really have three solid options.  I'm about 40% on Corey Davis, 35% on KJ Hamler, and 25% on Mike Williams.

Davis seems to be the "safe" option with the highest floor, though maybe not the upside of Williams.  He has the highest projected points of my options on Yahoo, and I am projected to win 92-82 with Davis in my lineup.  He also has the best matchup of the three, against a Cleveland pass defense that is only 20th overall, despite playing three of their last four games in cold, windy, rainy conditions.

But with Jeudy "questionable" with an ankle injury, and the Broncos facing the Chiefs in the primetime game--with MY QB LOCK at the helm--I can start to smell a little Holiday HAMler a'cookin' on Sunday night...

Mike Williams at home against the Patriots provides the upside of a couple long TDs that could match an outburst by my opponent's Perriman or Gallman--but he also carries the risk of 4 point steamer in any given week as well.

I KINDA feel like I don't need to swing for the fences here--just start my best lineup with Davis and hope everyone pulls their weight--and that none of my opponent's guys go off.  But at the same time, the Browns and Titans could just match RBs all day, and since the Chiefs don't really shut anyone down--they just outscore teams--a Sunday night HamLock stack looks awfully appealing.  But it's Williams' "up" week as well...

18 hours to decide...

In the only other game that matters, here are the current starters, with potential bench options in parentheses.  I'll edit to finalize the lineups (remove the parentheses) when players lock in:

The Team That Must Lose

Russell Wilson, Melvin Gordon, Kerryon Johnson (Royce Freeman?), Davante Adams, Julio Jones, Gabriel Davis, Dwight Schultz, Green Bay D

The Team That Must Beat Them

Taysom Hill, Ezekiel Elliott, Chris Carson, James Robinson (Jamaal Williams?), Tyler Lockett, Jarvis Landry (Cole Beasley?), Jimmy Graham, Pittsburgh D

I think C Davis is the right pick.  Plus J Smith isn’t playing, and Brown is still nursing a hip issue.  

Hey good luck, I hope you win.  

Man, I just can't stop thinking that Hamler is the play here--but at the same time, I can't deny that Corey Davis is the safest, most rational choice.  But then, how rational can it be if weepaws endorses it?  It's like a sign from God to go the other way.  I just see that game being a clash of the running backs, with maybe 5-6 targets left over for Davis--meaning one of them better be a TD or he probly won't get past 6-7 points in half-PPR.  On the other hand, Hamler could see 8-9 targets easy playing catch-up with the Chiefs.  If Drew's on, the stack could be a goldmine.  But if Drew's off, it hurts me at two positions.

With ten minutes to go, it's the injuries around them that have made my decision.  If Jeudy had been out with his ankle injury, or if Jonnu Smith had been playing through his knee injjury, I think either one would have made me start Hamler.  But with Jeudy in and Jonnu out--and hopefully just needing floors and not ceilings this week--I'm sticking with Davis.

Here we go...

Both of us standing toe to toe, landing big blows...

Justin Jefferson for 22.8; Corey Davis for 29.7...

Tyler Boyd for 13.7 on one play, does nothing the rest of the half, and then gets himself kicked out of the game before halftime... 

...Thielen puts up 17.5 opposite Jefferson...

...but the two Vikings WRs give Cousins a solid 22.4.

At least his Perriman laid a 2.7 point egg.

His Vikings D is good for 13; Hines and his TD counter with 11.

So he has 74.6, with 5 players down; I have 57.9 with 3 players down.

His remaining 3 are Gallman, McKissic and Logan Thomas.

I have Lock, Woods, Mostert, Ebron, and the Rams, and I'm projected to win 108-95.

By the way, The Team That Must Lose is currently trailing 39-70, and projected to lose 83-107.

I love it when a plan comes together...

23 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Thank you Gallman, for not scoring on that breakaway run....

Or the second one.

And thank you Alfred Morris for cleaning them both up as harmlessly as possible.

Down 71-86...

30 minutes ago, nobody said:

Rams D should've iced this for you by now, right?

For the second week in a row, the Rams D comes up with a late turnover/TD.  It was the margin of victory last week, and it could very well be again this week.

It's not over yet, but I have a few more bullets in the gun--Drew Lock is up first, followed by Eric Ebron in the matinee tomorrow, and Mostert having the last word after my opponent's Re-skins put the finishing touches on his scoring for the week.

I'm down 82.4 - 88.1,  so I need Lock, Ebron and Mostert to outscore McKissic and Thomas by 5.8; I'm projected to win 118-103.

The Team That Must Lose is currently down 70-88 and projected to lose 89-108.  As long as Melvin Gordon, Dwight Schultz and Gabriel Davis don't outscore Zeke and the Steelers D by more than 17.6, the red carpet into the final playoff berth will be waiting for me...

...but that means I can't celebrate until Tuesday night...

Hanging around; hanging around.  Kid's got alligator blood.  Can't get rid of 'em.

Well, Lock had to throw his obligatory second INT to end the game, as per usual, but he did enough to give me a 95-88 lead, with each of us having a RB and a TE left--Mostert and Ebron for me, McKissic and Thomas for him.

Melvin Gordon evened things up a bit for TheTeam That Must Lose, which now trails by only 3.3 points, with Schultz and Gabriel Davis left to make up that margin against Zeke and the PIT D.  It's a miracle that Gordon wasn't in the end zone at least once; he did damage, but it's not insurmountable.

So GO PIT D!!!  Stop McKissic!  Stop Thomas!  Score megapoints!

I'd install you as about a 15 point favorite. 

The other guy is probably going to need 25 from Shultz and Davis.  My guess is he loses by about 20.  I could see Davis doing some damage against SF, but his range is so wide, it's hard to predict what he'll do.  I'd say his most likely stat line is something like 3 for 40 and no TDs, but I wouldn't be shocked if he did something like 6 for 90 and 1 TD or something like that.  Shultz will be lucky to get 3 for 30.  It's really only a matter if he converts on his 1 red zone target he's likely to get.  Baltimore is weak at LB though so Dallas might get smart for a change and try to exploit LB matchups.

I actually think Pittsburgh isn't going to look that great tomorrow.  They love to let down in these types of games.  Every year they look like shìt against an interior opponent for no apparent reason.  I chalk it up to them being an emotional team.  Think about this.  They're coming off a weird week playing their arch rival Ravens where they got jerked around.  They have Buffalo next week in prime time that rates to be a touch game.  Washington is out of conference and all anybody does is shìt all over the NFC East (rightfully so), but Washington just watched the Giants take care of Seattle and if they want to win this division, they'll need to keep pace, so I expect Washington to be motivated.  Not to mention they have a damn good defense.  Meanwhile Pitt on a short week sandwiched between two big games just lost another stud on defense... There's a lot of reasons for Pitt to come out flat.

The two things that give me pause is Pitt should've seen KC toy with Denver, and they're going for not only the 1 seed, but perfection, so I'd expect they'd be motivated as well.  The second thing is they looked flat during that Ravens game and Tomlin called the effort junior varsity.  When your coach calls you out in the media, that usually lights a fire under your ass.

In the battle of Ebron versus McKissic and Thomas, he wins the first half--but barely.  Wish Ebron could have come down with that TD.

I'm still up by the slimmest of margins--100.84 to 99.60.

Dodged ANOTHER TD with Logan Thomas being pushed out at the 1 yard line.  Just went down by 3 points on the reception and yardage, though.

Might be glad I picked up Barber a few weeks ago if I'm axually playing after this week...

1 more quarter, and you just need Mostert to get like what?  40 yards and you're in as long as Davis and Shultz don't go off?

Jesus Christ.  It's the McKissic drive all of the sudden.  What the hell?  They most know Williams can't guard him.

Just now, nobody said:

Jesus Christ.  It's the McKissic drive all of the sudden.  What the hell?

I know, right?  Like there's no one else on their team.  That Gibson injury hurt me indirectly...  Sheesh.

You'd think PIT would learn to cover the guy.

1 minute ago, nobody said:

Oh snap.  Mostert going to have to put in some work tonight afterall.

Yep... 16.1 right now if McKissic and Thomas don't get another point.

Wow, that went south fast.

What's it looking like right now.  Down about what?  12 or so.  That's still pretty doable as long as they don't mix in Jeff Wilson too much.  We need this game to finish though.  No OT.

Ebron with one last contribution.  Must be down by 16 or so still.  Let's go Mostert@!#!@#!

Well, Ebron at least tacked on a couple of points on the last play of the game to give him a respectable double-digit week, but I am still down 105.64 to 121.20.  I'll need 15.6 out of Mostert, or I will become only the 6th team to score 100 points in a losing effort, after 260 games in this league.

2 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Well, Ebron at least tacked on a couple of points on the last play of the game to give him a respectable double-digit week, but I am still down 105.64 to 121.20.  I'll need 15.6 out of Mostert, or I will become only the 6th team to score 100 points in a losing effort, after 260 games in this league.

Not very good luck this week...

This 4th and goal from the 6 inch line will go along way for Mostert.  If Buffalo is smart they'll come out in a 9 man front and dare them to throw, but I can't imagine 49ers throw this.

lol  Mostert going for 10 yards per, and they give the ball to Wilson 3 times from the 1 to get stuffed.

I hope Shanahan asked for a brain for Xmas...

I don't know what the hell they're saving him for.  They can't do anything without him in there.

Well, he better go all McKissic in the second half.  I still need 12.2.  Maybe he's got a Kenyan Drake in him, if karma is a factor.

That TD drive by Buffalo was bad all the way around.  First, it really makes it hard for the 49ers to stick with the run, but more importantly it took a ton of time off the clock.

Whelp, I'm calling it.  Thanks for playing along with us.  Logan freaking Thomas... smh

Another red zone with no Mostert to be seen.

Well Shanahan, you cost both of us a win with your refusal to use your top 10 RB for more than 2 plays in a row.  Nice job!

I think this is the most fun losing I've ever had though--and the best losing team I've ever had.

Kinda sad that it goes from an all-time epic tale of fantasy football comebacks to something I won't remember next week, but it was pretty close to being awfully special.

Now on to paying for this wacky season, having locked up playoff berths in both of my $250 leagues a week ago...

Yeah, whatever gameplan Shanny came up with for this game just didn't work on pretty much any front.

10 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Another red zone with no Mostert to be seen.

Well Shanahan, you cost both of us a win with your refusal to use your top 10 RB for more than 2 plays in a row.  Nice job!

I think this is the most fun losing I've ever had though--and the best losing team I've ever had.

Kinda sad that it goes from an all-time epic tale of fantasy football comebacks to something I won't remember next week, but it was pretty close to being awfully special.

Now on to paying for this wacky season, having locked up playoff berths in both of my $250 leagues a week ago...

Tough break. Looking forward to you ‘instructing’ us regular folk next year on how to draft a mediocre fantasy team that misses the playoffs...

26 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Tough break. Looking forward to you ‘instructing’ us regular folk next year on how to draft a mediocre fantasy team that misses the playoffs...

You got weepaws and a million Axe Elf wannabees to do that.

Axe Elf will teach you how to make money in even the wackiest of seasons.