Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

RB depth just isn't what it used to be

Should fantasy leagues adjust? I was looking over our 10 team draft, and there really isn't a rb besides hunt worth a damn who was drafted after the third round.

Is it time to adjust scoring? I don't think you need to do anything for tds because they are still relevant, but is there something that could be done for yards or touches to make more rbs relevant with today's style of play?

26 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

Should fantasy leagues adjust? I was looking over our 10 team draft, and there really isn't a rb besides hunt worth a damn who was drafted after the third round.

Your league drafted James Robinson, Raheem Mostert, Mike Davis, Jonathan Taylor, Myles Gaskin, Jerick McKinnon, Darrell Henderson and Antonio Gibson before the end of the third round?

Or are you maybe overlooking those 8 RBs, excuse me, 9 RBs (counting Hunt) who are currently among the top 20, but were probly drafted after the 3rd round in most leagues...?

In a 10 team league, that's almost one post-3rd-round starter per team.

• Like 1

RB depth has been the biggest issue in fantasy football as long as I can remember.

You can never have too many RBs.

RBs always dominate the first two rounds. A few years ago, I remember it looked like WRs were going to take over but it was short lived.

Your league is your league though, if you think it's worth switching something up to compensate, then have at it.

Yeah 14 teams non ppr, darn it , I just can’t seem to roster all the rb1 

53 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Your league drafted James Robinson, Raheem Mostert, Mike Davis, Jonathan Taylor, Myles Gaskin, Jerick McKinnon, Darrell Henderson and Antonio Gibson before the end of the third round?

Or are you maybe overlooking those 8 RBs, excuse me, 9 RBs (counting Hunt) who are currently among the top 20, but were probly drafted after the 3rd round in most leagues...?

In a 10 team league, that's almost one post-3rd-round starter per team.

Yeah I feel like it's the opposite.   So many RB busts every year.  Just among the top 13 RB's according to FFToday ADP (PPR):

McCaffrey - injured.   Hopefully comes back strong but now has Davis to compete with

Barkley - out for the year

Ekeler - injured

CEH - OK, but not really 1st round production and now has Bell to compete with

Drake - stinks

Chubb - injured

If we're talking about hypothetical scoring adjustments, though, I have sometimes mused about a league with a logarithmic scoring system of diminishing returns, so that like the first TD thrown by a QB is 4 pts, the second is 2 pts, and the third and subsequent TDs would be 1 point--and similar for yardage and TDs at other positions as well.  You could even give double points for yardage under 50 to WRs and RBs.

So bad games become competitive for lesser performers, and monster games aren't so insurmountable for the guys scoring 3 TDs out of nowhere.

It would narrow the range of possible scores, so that almost all of the games would be extremely close and competitive.

Just now, TimHauck said:

Yeah I feel like it's the opposite.

The opposite of what?

There will always be some busts in the early rounds, sure.  We were talking about the gems that are always available after the 3rd round though.  OP said he didn't think there were many this year.  I beg to differ.

I've gotten lucky this season.  I have CEH, Aaron Jones, James Robinson, Damien Harris and Devonta Freeman in a 12 team ppr league.  I dropped Ronald Jones to keep Devonta Freeman when I had to cover for a bye week.  The Le'veon news doesn't sting as bad.

1 hour ago, d'eaux boy said:

I've gotten lucky this season.  I have CEH, Aaron Jones, James Robinson, Damien Harris and Devonta Freeman in a 12 team ppr league.  I dropped Ronald Jones to keep Devonta Freeman when I had to cover for a bye week.  The Le'veon news doesn't sting as bad.

I wouldn't be too happy; you're pretty much down to Jones and Robinson as reliable starters in a league of that size now--and they both still have byes coming.

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

The opposite of what?

There will always be some busts in the early rounds, sure.  We were talking about the gems that are always available after the 3rd round though.  OP said he didn't think there were many this year.  I beg to differ.

Yea I agree with you.  OP is saying most of the good RB's were drafted early.  As you mentioned, that's not really true.  What I was calling the opposite is that there are always many early round RB's (moreso than other positions usually) that bust/get injured, and often quite a few late round/WW guys that break out.  The hard part is figuring out which is going to be which.

2 hours ago, TimHauck said:

Yea I agree with you.  OP is saying most of the good RB's were drafted early.  As you mentioned, that's not really true.  What I was calling the opposite is that there are always many early round RB's (moreso than other positions usually) that bust/get injured, and often quite a few late round/WW guys that break out.  The hard part is figuring out which is going to be which.

That’s when luck gets involved. 

4 hours ago, d'eaux boy said:

Now please don’t take this question as a judgement, but when you dropped R Jones, how many te and qbs do you have on your team? 

Just asking .  

Ha.  I have a murderer's row of RBs in my 12-team, full-PPR league:

Ekeler; Mixon; David Johnson, Mostert, M. Davis (WW), J. Robinson (WW) and L. Bell (WW).

5 hours ago, weepaws said:

Now please don’t take this question as a judgement, but when you dropped R Jones, how many te and qbs do you have on your team? 

Just asking .  

I had two TEs and one QB

1 hour ago, d'eaux boy said:

I had two TEs and one QB

Ok thank you. 

5 hours ago, Bills04 said:

Ha.  I have a murderer's row of RBs in my 12-team, full-PPR league:

Ekeler; Mixon; David Johnson, Mostert, M. Davis (WW), J. Robinson (WW) and L. Bell (WW).

Ekeler is hurt, Mostert was.

David Johnson has been so-so.

Who knows how much value Bell will have as well as Davis when McCaffrey returns

Not sure if I'd call that a murderer's row and unless you have a deep bench I assume you don't have much depth elsewhere.

With the seasonal attrition that occurs at running back, this assessment is best left for later in the season.