Sign in to follow this  
peenie

Anybody been to Tulum or Cancun?

Holy shiot!!! Perichos is the greatest Mexican restaurant I’ve ever been to. Cancun is a great town and have been there thrice. Honeymoon in 1999. Ten years later for second honeymoon. And a cruise later. I know that town well. The booze cruise was the best. And Pericos was beyond fun.

16 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I'm hoping to find a way to fish from shore while I'm there.  Hopefully can rent some gear.

Bring your own, you should purchase a daiwa bg 4000, it will work for surf fishing and you can also use it for freshwater for large catfish, etc.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

drift dives in cozumel were fantastic 20 + years ago.

I did a week of diving in Cozumel about 4 years ago.    It was the best diving I've ever done and I've dove all over the world and extensively in the Carribean.     If you dive at all - Cozumel should 100% be on your bucket list of places to go (add Bonaire to that bucket list too).    

We looked into a Tulum trip about 2 yrs ago.   Didn't do it because that area has become very trendy with the rich set and the rentals/costs to stay there were crazy expensive.   

@Hawkeye21

One of my surf fishing rods uses the below setup and i also use it for freshwater when trying for large cats/gar, but it would work for walleye, pike, etc.

Daiwa BG 4000

Fins 40g - 25 pound test - 300 yards

My shark setup from shore(2 of these setups):

Shimano Saragosa 8000

Jerry Brown - 65 pounds - 300 yards

I actually have quite a few other reels as well :ninja:

9 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

@Hawkeye21

One of my surf fishing rods uses the below setup and i also use it for freshwater when trying for large cats/gar, but it would work for walleye, pike, etc.

Daiwa BG 4000

Fins 40g - 25 pound test - 300 yards

My shark setup from shore(2 of these setups):

Shimano Saragosa 8000

Jerry Brown - 65 pounds - 300 yards

I actually have quite a few other reels as well :ninja:

Looks great.

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Looks great.

Obviously, based on my posts I think you should purchase the gear ahead of time.

I can help you choose some other gear as you get closer, you probably do not need many of these, but you will want 2-3 of these sinkers for example. I think you will have a much better time fishing if you have the correct surf fishing gear, rather than some cheapo rental from a pier.

Been to Cancun 2x. Loved it. But I would prefer Aruba now. Hope to get down there in the next couple of years. Ireland first. Have to show the kids the auld sod. 

5 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Obviously, based on my posts I think you should purchase the gear ahead of time.

I can help you choose some other gear as you get closer, you probably do not need many of these, but you will want 2-3 of these sinkers for example. I think you will have a much better time fishing if you have the correct surf fishing gear, rather than some cheapo rental from a pier.

That thing looks like a weapon.

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

That thing looks like a weapon.

The legs grab into the sand so that the current does not wash the bait away, then when a fish hits the legs flip backwards so that they no longer stick in the sand and so you can fight the fish.

In my opinion a must have for fishing from the surf.

There are two pictures on that site that demonstrates.

• Like 1

I went to Tulum in August 2021. I stayed for 1 week on the beach at La Zebra Hotel.