Sign in to follow this  
gcmmidwest

Practice Squad

Can anybody shed some light on how the practice squad works? How do they protect a player from being picked up ? 

The Ravens protected quarterback Trace McSorley, running back Le'Veon Bell, offensive tackle David Sharpe and inside linebacker Josh Bynes on their practice to prevent other teams from grabbing them 🤔

49ers signed a back off the the bengals earlier this week, so they can be signed by other teams. There is obviously some way to protect them, but I would imagine the teams must guarantee some part of their contract.

Just read because of Covid there aloud to protect only 4 players a week must be a new rule 

2 hours ago, AxeElf said:

If they're signed to your practice squad, they're no longer free agents.

Yeah this is not correct at all. I believe each team can protect 4 players from the practice squad each week.  Any other player can be signed to another teams active roster (not their practice squad). 

5 minutes ago, potts17 said:

Yeah this is not correct at all.

Axually it IS correct, it just wasn't the answer you were looking for.

15 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Axually it IS correct, it just wasn't the answer you were looking for.

No, he is correct.  Other than the 4 players, every player on a teams practice squad can be signed by another team, as if they were still free agents.  The only stipulation is that the team acquiring that player is that they put that player on their active roster.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

No, he is correct.  Other than the 4 players, every player on a teams practice squad can be signed by another team, as if they were still free agents.  The only stipulation is that the team acquiring that player is that they put that player on their active roster.

This is right. I believe they actually have to be on the roster for 3 weeks also. The expanding of the PS, and the ability to now protect 4 player's weekly is all a new rule due to Covid. So I'm not sure if it's a temporary, or a permanent rule. But with Covid not going away, the extra game added. And you know the league still wants to go to an 18th game. I can see this rule sticking around.

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

No, he is correct.

And I was correct too.  Once you sign a player to your practice squad, he is no longer a free agent.

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

And I was correct too.  Once you sign a player to your practice squad, he is no longer a free agent.

Incorrect.  Any team can sign them of their current teams' practice squad.  For all intents and purposes, they're still free agents.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Incorrect.  Any team can sign them of their current teams' practice squad.  For all intents and purposes, they're still free agents.

Nonsense.  A player with a contract is not a free agent.

3 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Player rights

A practice squad player is an employee of that particular team, but unlike a player on the 53-man roster (or an injured list), a practice squad player has the right to sign with another team’s 53-man roster.

There are a couple exceptions to this:

1. Last year, the league implemented a rule allowing each team to protect up to four of its practice squad players from other teams. That remains in place this year.
  2. A practice squad player may not sign a contract with his team’s next opponent after 4 p.m. ET six days preceding the game (10 days preceding in bye weeks).
  3. A player cannot sign with another practice squad while on his current practice squad.

Not to say that you're wrong, but you omitted important info in your statements, and now are relying on a technicality. 

So yes, they are not technically "free agents," they are salaried members of a team, but if left unprotected have the right to sign with another team if they are placed on their active roster... I would argue that unprotected practice squad players are like free agents who still get paid.

9 minutes ago, rallo said:

Not to say that you're wrong

Good, because I wasn't wrong, and most of what you have written here is irrelevant to the claim I made, so I'm not sure why you're addressing it to me.

7 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Good, because I wasn't wrong, and most of what you have written here is irrelevant to the claim I made, so I'm not sure why you're addressing it to me.

A dressing goes on salad...

30 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

So you're saying that a practice squad player can not sign with another team?  You know, like what a free agent does.

3 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

So you're saying that a practice squad player can not sign with another team?  You know, like what a free agent does.

No, I'm saying that a player with a contract (i.e., signed to a practice squad) is not a free agent.

It's right up there; I don't understand your confusion...

On 9/23/2021 at 2:07 PM, AxeElf said:

8 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

No, I'm saying that a player with a contract (i.e., signed to a practice squad) is not a free agent.

The prosecution will concede that literally you may be correct, if the defense will concede the obvious implied meaning of your statement would be leading the witness…

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 1:40 PM, gcmmidwest said:

Can anybody shed some light on how the practice squad works? How do they protect a player from being picked up ? 

On 9/23/2021 at 2:07 PM, AxeElf said:

Cliff notes, AxeElf made a correct statement that was a non sequitur, as it did not have anything to do with the OPs question or intent of the thread.

39 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Gotchya, so your wrong.  Glad we settled that.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Gotchya, so your wrong.  Glad we settled that.

Like so many things before, we settled it, and you still missed out on the answer that was settled upon.

Care to try again, or are you feeling defeated yet?

There's a special thread for axeelf was wrong no need to clutter up every thread 

2 hours ago, gcmmidwest said:

There's a special thread for axeelf was wrong no need to clutter up every thread 

Hope springs eternal.  Maybe if they say "Axe Elf was wrong" enough times, they'll start to believe it themselves.

9 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Hope springs eternal.  Maybe if they say "Axe Elf was wrong" enough times, they'll start to believe it themselves.

What happens if you say Axe Elf 5 times in a mirror?

🔪