BeenHereBefore

Award Winning Turkeyburger Bean Soup & Hamburger Helper

On 1/28/2022 at 4:31 PM, Horseman said:

They are called pinto beans.  When meat was scarce or too expensive cowboys started cooking beans on the side to supplement the protein when the chili ran out.  The reason you think they are called chili beans is because some guy decided to can them, call them that sell them to all the morons who grew up poor thinking chili always contained beans.

Meat sauce chili is another poor man's version.  Hamburger instead of beef and/or pork chucks.  

Chilly was originally a chuckwagon meal. Of course they were beans. It's not like they could stop by Kroger every night and pick up some ground beef. Or Chuck or what the f*** ever. 

Beans were a crucial staple of any cattle drive. Any ranch. Any household.

The Texans do a lot of things right, but the idea that beans don't belong in chili is stupid. I don't care if you don't like beans in your chili. Fine.  cook it the way you want. But some of these guys get so worked up over the idea of beans and chili in Texas and they just have no clue. Do you think there's like a refrigerated wagon that went behind the herd?

Little secret to chili? Add either dark chocolate or even cocoa powder. It will take on a mole kind of attribute.

One thing a friend of mine did was add a little bit of corn to the chili. I know it sounds weird, but it was kind of perfect. I guess if you think about it, cornbread and chili is pretty fantastic. The corn added a little sweetness and texture.

1 minute ago, wiffleball said:

Chilly was originally a chuckwagon meal. Of course they were beans. It's not like they could stop by Kroger every night and pick up some ground beef. Or Chuck or what the f*** ever. 

Cowboys heard cattle you dumb fok.  Beans were only used when times were scarce. By scarce I mean when they had to sell and or couldnt slaughter another cow for whatever reason. 

On 1/28/2022 at 8:07 AM, JustinCharge said:

I was thinking of trying a chili with 2lbs ground beef, chili powder, huge celery chunks, huge cuts of tomatoes, huge cuts of carrots, sauteed sweet onions with some onion chunks.  Just really chunky. No beans.  Maybe some potato chunks as well to see what that does.  

Sounds like a stew 

Pound beef, pound hot sausage, pound of beans (kidney, black and pinto). Chopped up bacon. Tomato sauce, diced tomatoes. Chili powder, paprika, cayenne, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, 

23 minutes ago, Horseman said:

Cowboys heard cattle you dumb fok.  Beans were only used when times were scarce. By scarce I mean when they had to sell and or couldnt slaughter another cow for whatever reason. 

Wrong. Do your research. Those cattle were there livelihood. Their revenue. Only if a cow got sick or hurt did they do that. I mean seriously, do your research.

12 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Little secret to chili? Add either dark chocolate or even cocoa powder. It will take on a mole kind of attribute.

13 hours ago, Horseman said:

i have this image of wiffle dragging you to Texas and watching some cowboys work and sure enough, they are herding bags and bags of beans and wiffle is screaming "see! see! they put beans in chili because they herded beans!" then wiffle wakes up in a cold sweat.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Horseman said:

Beans made up the bulk of a cowboy’s protein intake. Provided in large quantities in their rations, beans were one of the most abundant foods in a traveling cowboy’s diet. Because beans were readily available and easily transported, many recipes on the cattle drives of the American West called for beans, including chili, mashed beans and bean soups. Cooked in a cast iron “dutch” oven overnight, beans could last for many meals; some cowboys even repurposed the leftovers by forming them into patties and re-frying them later.

12 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Beans made up the bulk of a cowboy’s protein intake. Provided in large quantities in their rations, beans were one of the most abundant foods in a traveling cowboy’s diet. Because beans were readily available and easily transported, many recipes on the cattle drives of the American West called for beans, including chili, mashed beans and bean soups. Cooked in a cast iron “dutch” oven overnight, beans could last for many meals; some cowboys even repurposed the leftovers by forming them into patties and re-frying them later.

that doesnt prove anything.  

that text says beans were a staple.  the assertion being made is that true chili does not contain beans.  BOTH statements can be true.

in fact, if you bing: "does chili include beans" you will get a lot of text saying true chili does not include beans.

1 minute ago, JustinCharge said:

that doesnt prove anything.  

that text says beans were a staple.  the assertion being made is that true chili does not contain beans.  BOTH statements can be true.

in fact, if you bing: "does chili include beans" you will get a lot of text saying true chili does not include beans.

Yep

15 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

But stories are spread that the beef was too valuable and was limited to be used as food on the cattle drive, so extra protein came from a pot of beans along side the chili pot. The cowboys then mixed the chili and beans together in a tin plate.

Some filthy cowboys mixed the two dishes together and forever ruined chili for the cuisine challenged.  

I got sulfur burps from chili beans once. Gross.