Sign in to follow this  
TBayXXXVII

Going to KC & STL

My son and I are going to get into KC on Saturday night, June 25th.  We're going to a Royals game on Sunday afternoon, then leaving Monday morning to go to St. Louis to see the Cardinals on Monday night.

What are good local places to hit for BBQ that aren't the touristy bull crap in KC?  Also, are their towns/areas to avoid when picking out a hotel?

Same for St. Louis.  Good local restaurants I hotel areas? 

39 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

What are good local places to hit for BBQ that aren't the touristy bull crap in KC?

lol I don't think you'll have to worry about an overwhelming number of tourists in that sh!thole.

that said, you won't be disappointed with Smokin' Guns. 10-15 minutes from the ballpark.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 11:51 AM, TBayXXXVII said:

My son and I are going to get into KC on Saturday night, June 25th.  We're going to a Royals game on Sunday afternoon, then leaving Monday morning to go to St. Louis to see the Cardinals on Monday night.

What are good local places to hit for BBQ that aren't the touristy bull crap in KC?  Also, are their towns/areas to avoid when picking out a hotel?

Smoking Guns is pretty good for BBQ.  Went to a place called Pot Pie that was good if you are looking for comfort food. 

Columbia is roughly half way.  The roof top bar at the Doubletree is a cool place to have a few cocktails.  The Tiger is also a nice hotel.  Glenn's Cafe attached to the Tiger isn't bad.  CC's Broiler is pretty good.

• Like 1

There's a wide array of opinion on the best BBQ in KC.  A lot of folks prefer Joe's BBQ (formerly Oklahoma Joe's).  I really like Smokehouse, but it doesn't get a bunch of buzz.  

Garozzo's is a fantastic Italian place.  Jack Stack is another BBQ place worth considering.

Just FYI, there isn't anything out by the stadiums, Raytown is pretty meh.  The best place for nightlife in KC now is the Power & Light district, it's had a ton of investment in the past decade.  Just avoid Kansas City, Kansas and you should be ok with hotels.  

looks like that's a Salvy bobblehead day, so it'll probably be in high demand.  You'll have to get there and wait in line as the gates open if you want a chance of getting one of those.  Probably not a huge deal to you though.

how old is your kid?  Might help me give you ideas on ways to fill any down time.

1 minute ago, cmh6476 said:

how old is your kid?  Might help me give you ideas on ways to fill any down time.

He'll be 26 in 2 months.

Just now, TBayXXXVII said:

He'll be 26 in 2 months.

Yeah then if you can I'd try and stay in the Power & Light area, as you'll have plenty of nightlife options within walking distance.  Parking blows there though but there is a streetcar in the area that is free and will help get you to and from places.

1 hour ago, cmh6476 said:

Yeah then if you can I'd try and stay in the Power & Light area, as you'll have plenty of nightlife options within walking distance.  Parking blows there though but there is a streetcar in the area that is free and will help get you to and from places.

We're not going to be in town long to do much, so I don't think anything in the nightlife will happen.  Our final destination is Arlington, TX and we have to be there on the 29th.  We have two cousin's who are coming with us, who live in Columbus, OH.  To cut the trip up a bit, we're stopping in to visit some friends who live in Lawrence, KS.  They said they were going to be in the KC area that Sunday to go see Sebastian Maniscalo.  So, they got all of us tickets to see him at 9 PM at that Arvest Bank Theater.  Since that's not far from the Stadium, we figured we'd go see a game.  So that's the plan for us on Sunday.  We're leaving Monday morning to head to St. Louis for a night game, and then head to Arlington on Tuesday.

Just looking for somewhere to have lunch before the game and for dinner afterwards.  Since we're in the area for the first time, we don't want to miss out on the local cuisine and just get typical restaurant stuff.

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

He'll be 26 in 2 months.

He will love Columbia. :ninja:

1 minute ago, Bert said:

He will love Columbia. :ninja:

Lot of youngin's out there?  Well, I consider anyone almost half my age as a "youngin".

Lot of youngin's out there?

College town.  Mizzou and several other smaller colleges.  

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

College town.  Mizzou and several other smaller colleges.  

Ah, then in that case, I better NOT go there... he may never leave.  🤣

Ah, then in that case, I better NOT go there... he may never leave.  🤣

True.  The Doubletree I mentioned is next to a couple of college bars.  

14 minutes ago, Bert said:

True.  The Doubletree I mentioned is next to a couple of college bars.  

We may stop in the Columbia area for lunch.  Checkout time for the hotel is 10 am and since it's about 4 hours to STL, we may hit Columbia around noon.  We're in no hurry to get to STL since the game isn't until 6:45.  But really, we won't have anything to worry about, my son has a girl friend.  She's actually trying to get off from work and may come with us.  It's not some "guys weekend" thing, just going to Arlington because there's a bowling training center down there.  My son is going for training sessions for bowling on pro-tour lane conditions.  He's going to try his hand on the pro tour in a year or two.

For KC, I lived there for 7 years as an adult.

Their WW1 museum is pretty darn cool. Easy to get to if you have a rental. 

The original Arthur Bryants is great for bbq. The one closer to the city. 

I used to go there and Jack Stacks on Holmes road in south KC near where I lived.

There is a place called Joes that might be in Leawood or Olathe KS. Or both. I forget which one I would go to.  Pretty good for sure. There are a lot of good places all around KC.

It's been about 5 years since I was last visited, but those were some places I liked at the time.

You are probably aware, but there is a Kansas City, Kansas as well. Don't let that trick you when looking up places. Im guessing you'll be in MO. The real KC. You would be surprised how many people dont't know that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

We're not going to be in town long to do much, so I don't think anything in the nightlife will happen.  Our final destination is Arlington, TX and we have to be there on the 29th.  We have two cousin's who are coming with us, who live in Columbus, OH.  To cut the trip up a bit, we're stopping in to visit some friends who live in Lawrence, KS.  They said they were going to be in the KC area that Sunday to go see Sebastian Maniscalo.  So, they got all of us tickets to see him at 9 PM at that Arvest Bank Theater.  Since that's not far from the Stadium, we figured we'd go see a game.  So that's the plan for us on Sunday.  We're leaving Monday morning to head to St. Louis for a night game, and then head to Arlington on Tuesday.

Just looking for somewhere to have lunch before the game and for dinner afterwards.  Since we're in the area for the first time, we don't want to miss out on the local cuisine and just get typical restaurant stuff.

Arrest bank is in the power and light district, so that souls still be a great option for you

Utilit knows what he is talking about.   Seriously though, consider some reservations here and don't get all wrapped up in just the BBQ

https://www.garozzos.com/

12 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

Arrest bank is in the power and light district, so that souls still be a great option for you

Ok, cool.  Thanks.

12 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

Utilit knows what he is talking about.   Seriously though, consider some reservations here and don't get all wrapped up in just the BBQ

https://www.garozzos.com/

I'll never turn down Italian food, that's for sure.  I'll let my son decide, but I'll definitely tell him about this place.  My guess his that he'll want both.  Probably hit a bbq place before the game and this place for dinner.

15 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

For KC, I lived there for 7 years as an adult.

Their WW1 museum is pretty darn cool. Easy to get to if you have a rental. 

The original Arthur Bryants is great for bbq. The one closer to the city. 

I used to go there and Jack Stacks on Holmes road in south KC near where I lived.

There is a place called Joes that might be in Leawood or Olathe KS. Or both. I forget which one I would go to.  Pretty good for sure. There are a lot of good places all around KC.

It's been about 5 years since I was last visited, but those were some places I liked at the time.

You are probably aware, but there is a Kansas City, Kansas as well. Don't let that trick you when looking up places. Im guessing you'll be in MO. The real KC. You would be surprised how many people dont't know that.

Good stuff, thanks.  Yeah, we'll be in Missouri, so I'll add these places to the list and probably just flip a coin to decide.

23 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Good stuff, thanks.  Yeah, we'll be in Missouri, so I'll add these places to the list and probably just flip a coin to decide.

I think you'll only be there for a short stint but if you get an hour or two free this really is good. Maybe not super glamorous, but it's a cool memorial. 

The National WWI Museum and Memorial, Kansas City

The National WWI Museum and Memorial in Kansas City, Missouri, USA, is home to the most comprehensive collection of World War One items in the world. It was opened in 1926 as the Liberty Memorial, and in 2004 was designated the United States’ official war memorial and museum dedicated to World War One.

The museum focuses specifically on global events from the causes of the First World War before 1914 through the 1918 armistice and 1919 Paris Peace Conference.

The museum has its roots in a memorial built by popular subscription right after the war’s end, which makes it not only the second oldest museum about World War One anywhere in the world, but one that was also completely crowdfunded. Visitors enter the exhibit space within the 32,000 square foot facility across a glass bridge above a field of 9,000 red poppies which each represent 1,000 combatant deaths.

3 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

I think you'll only be there for a short stint but if you get an hour or two free this really is good. Maybe not super glamorous, but it's a cool memorial. 

The National WWI Museum and Memorial, Kansas City

The National WWI Museum and Memorial in Kansas City, Missouri, USA, is home to the most comprehensive collection of World War One items in the world. It was opened in 1926 as the Liberty Memorial, and in 2004 was designated the United States’ official war memorial and museum dedicated to World War One.

The museum focuses specifically on global events from the causes of the First World War before 1914 through the 1918 armistice and 1919 Paris Peace Conference.

The museum has its roots in a memorial built by popular subscription right after the war’s end, which makes it not only the second oldest museum about World War One anywhere in the world, but one that was also completely crowdfunded. Visitors enter the exhibit space within the 32,000 square foot facility across a glass bridge above a field of 9,000 red poppies which each represent 1,000 combatant deaths.

I'll definitely mention it to my son, he likes history and museums.  He certainly may want to do this.  Thanks.

On 6/12/2022 at 11:51 AM, TBayXXXVII said:

How was it?

11 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

How was it?

Was actually just about to post about it.

We went to Arthur Bryant's on Sunday for lunch, before the game, got there in the 2nd inning... figured we'd avoid the traffic and the rush of the home town fans.  We got to Arthur Bryant's at around 11:30 and they were just starting to get busy.  By the time we left, 12:30, that place was packed!  The food was great.  I got the half slab of pork ribs and my son got the spare ribs.  I didn't particularly care for their personal bbq that's on the table, but the natural flavor was awesome.  The sauce wasn't even needed.  I got a half slab of ribs and a co-worker got rib sandwich from a local bbq place out here and our combined bill was $48.  After the game, we met up with the peeps and hung out.  They actually made reservations for the Italian restaurant (Garazzo's), that @Utilit99 mentioned in his post.  Great place.  Great food.  We left the hotel around 11 and went to Joe's before leaving for St. Louis.  I got the pulled chicken sandwich and my son got the brisket.  Didn't let me down.  Excellent there as well.  Everything was great.  Also, cheap as SH!T!!!  Couldn't believe how cheap everything was out there compared to here.  Between Bryant's, Garazzo's, and Joe's, I spent $32, $51, & $30 (with tip), for our meals.  I was paying those prices 10 years ago around here.  Heck, I go out to lunch when I'm at work and I'd drop over $20.  Just 2 weeks ago, I got a half slab of ribs and a co-worker got rib sandwich from a local bbq place out here and our combined bill was $48.

That's great but I suggested garozzo's :mad:

25 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

That's great but I suggested garozzo's :mad:

That's right, you did.  Sorry.  :cheers:  He suggested Arthur Bryant's.