Sign in to follow this  
himmystyles

Dobbins vs Akers in ppr

Dobbins 

• Thanks 1

Do I want the guy coming back from an injury that takes typically 2 years to fully recover from or the guy coming back from the injury no rb has come back from? Dobbins I guess.

The medical advances are continuously getting better.  At one time nobody came back from an ACL.  I remember when Adrian Peterson was coming back from ACL, no one wanted him.  I wasn't even targeting him but took him when he fell to the 7th round - he dominated that season just like normal.  Not saying that Akers is Peterson, but there are reasons for optimism.  The fact that he came back at all last year is amazing and a good sign.  The fact that the coaches essentially immediately put him in the feature back role (even though there was no way he could possibly be in the same "football shape" as players who had been there all season) shows that the coaches prefer him and are committed to him.  There is certainly a risk that the injury won, but it appears that he will be given every opportunity to disprove that.

16 minutes ago, Showboat said:

The medical advances are continuously getting better.  At one time nobody came back from an ACL.  I remember when Adrian Peterson was coming back from ACL, no one wanted him.  I wasn't even targeting him but took him when he fell to the 7th round - he dominated that season just like normal.  Not saying that Akers is Peterson, but there are reasons for optimism.  The fact that he came back at all last year is amazing and a good sign.  The fact that the coaches essentially immediately put him in the feature back role (even though there was no way he could possibly be in the same "football shape" as players who had been there all season) shows that the coaches prefer him and are committed to him.  There is certainly a risk that the injury won, but it appears that he will be given every opportunity to disprove that.

Dobbins tore his ACL.  Akers had an Achilles injury.

6 hours ago, himmystyles said:

Would you drop Akers over rashaad penny as well? 

Lol yes, no.  Akers I think will be limited this season based on the injury he has, I know he came back in the playoffs last season, but he wasn’t very good im. 

I think the rams have a very capable Henderson behind him and a few other unproven young Rbs.  

Penny is always getting injured, and Walker is the better player imo, and I can’t trust their Qb situation. 

So I wouldn’t.  

2 hours ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

Dobbins for upside only...... then take Henderson 5 rounds later if you want a piece of the Rams backfield.  

Winner. 

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Dobbins tore his ACL.  Akers had an Achilles injury.

Yes, I was suggesting that maybe an Achilles injury is the new ACL.  Will Akers be the first to overcome?  We shall see.  If he is, there is potentially a greater upside than with Dobbins due to the crowded Ravens backfield and LJax, who is always a threat to vulture red-zone rushing TDs.

I think the the Rams backfield is more crowded than the Rave s backfield, the Rams have more talent behind Akers than the Ravens do behind Dobbins, even with the addition of the Drake. 

1 hour ago, Showboat said:

Yes, I was suggesting that maybe an Achilles injury is the new ACL.  Will Akers be the first to overcome?  We shall see.  If he is, there is potentially a greater upside than with Dobbins due to the crowded Ravens backfield and LJax, who is always a threat to vulture red-zone rushing TDs.

As for the Achilles, I'll let someone else take the gamble on getting the first guy to over come it.  As for Dobbins, I do think his upside is limited because of Jackson, but I think the Ravens learned last year that using Jackson's legs is a game plan on borrowed time.  I think they subject him to a lot less of those runs and strictly allow him to run on broken plays only.

2 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

As for the Achilles, I'll let someone else take the gamble on getting the first guy to over come it.

Fair enough - no risk it no biscuit.

neither.

With the acl, you need a year to recover and then a year to get back in football shape. That’s why you see acl recovers come back in a year but a lot of times end up with a hamstring or some other injury.