Sign in to follow this  
seafoam1

Consumers starting to buckle for first time in a decade, former Walmart U.S. CEO Bill Simon warns

Let's go Brandon...!

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/10/09/consumers-buckling-for-first-time-in-decade-former-walmart-us-ceo.html#:~:text=Fast Money-,Consumers starting to buckle for first time in a decade,U.S. CEO Bill Simon warns&text=The draw of bargains may,first time in a decade.

The draw of bargains may be fading.

As three of the nation’s biggest retailers kick off a key sales week, former Walmart U.S. CEO Bill Simon warns consumers are starting to buckle for the first time in a decade.

He’s blaming a list of headwinds weighing on consumers including inflation, higher interest rates, federal budget wrangling, polarized politics and student loan repayments — and now new global tensions connected to violence in Israel.

“That sort of pileup wears on the consumer and makes them wary,” the former Walmart U.S. CEO told CNBC’s “Fast Money” on Monday. “For the first time in a long time, there’s a reason for the consumer to pause.”

The timing comes as Amazon begins its two-day Prime Big Deal Days sale on Tuesday. Walmart and Target are trying to compete with their own sales events to get an early jump on the holiday- shopping season.

Simon observes the retailers have a glaring thing in common: The bargains are not as deep.

‘You’re not real proud of your price point’

“They usually say 50-inch TV [is] $199 or something like that. And now, they say 50-inch TV [is] 40% off,” said Simon. “You use percentages when you’re not real proud of your price point. I think you’ve got inflation pushing the relative price points up.”

Shares of Amazon, Walmart and Target are under pressure over the past two months. Target is performing the worst of the three — off 19%.

Simon, who sits on the Darden Restaurants and HanesBrands boards, believes Walmart does have a big advantage over its competitors right now.

“It’s solely because of the food business,” Simon said. “They’re going to have both the eyeballs and the food traffic to probably have a better Christmas than maybe their competitors.”

You've been crying about Biden for closing in on three years and now you're blaming him for slowing consumer spending?

Did you give him love for the awesome consumer spending up until now?

Of course not.  Trump lovers are nothing if not hypocrites.

Just like their cult leader who loves Hamas and praises how smart they are.  Just like he loves the dictators in NK, China, and Russia.

Imagine worshiping this guy who hates freedom. 

14 minutes ago, BeachGuy23 said:

You've been crying about Biden for closing in on three years and now you're blaming him for slowing consumer spending?

Just like their cult leader who loves Hamas and praises how smart they are.  Just like he loves the dictators in NK, China, and Russia.

TDS explains your blindness away. 

17 minutes ago, BeachGuy23 said:

Interesting observation for someone that claims to be new here, Daulton Dickhead

• Like 3

Just now, BrahmaBulls said:

Interesting observation for someone that claims to be new here, Daulton Dickhead

You think I needed to be here to know which of you are Trump lovers?  And I know Trump lovers do nothing but cry about Biden.

😂😂

12 minutes ago, BeachGuy23 said:

Did you give Biden love for the amazing consumer spending the last 2 1/2 years?

Biden imhereted a good economy from Trump. Took him a while to fock it up.

Your TDS is shining bright.

11 minutes ago, BrahmaBulls said:

Yep. 

Just now, seafoam1 said:

Biden imhereted a good economy from Trump. Took him a while to fock it up.

Your TDS is shing bright.

Yep. 

You do know that Trump was the only president who lost jobs right?

That Trump increased the debt in four years by $8T?

That Trump was the only president to never hit 4% GDP for a quarter AND 3% for a year?

That his last year in office GDP was -2.7%?

Exactly which of those tells you that Trump handed Biden a "good" economy?  I think you're confusing Trump with Obama who did hand an excellent economy to Trump who proceeded to phok it up royaly with his insane spending and ridiculous tax cuts that overwhelmingly benefited the rich. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BeachGuy23 said:

That Trump was the only president to never hit 4% GDP for a quarter AND 3% for a year?

Exactly which of those tells you that Trump handed Biden a "good" economy?  I think you're confusing Trump with Obama who did hand an excellent economy to Trump who proceeded to phok it up royaly with his insane spending and ridiculous tax cuts that overwhelmingly benefited the rich. 

It's amazing you keep babbling on about this stuff without having a clue about reality. 

Just now, seafoam1 said:

It's amazing you keep babbling on about this stuff without having a clue about reality. 

Keep babbling about it?  You brought up the "good" economy Trump handed to Biden.

I cited facts.  Do you have any to support your statement?

4 minutes ago, BeachGuy23 said:

Keep babbling about it?  You brought up the "good" economy Trump handed to Biden.

I cited facts.  Do you have any to support your statement?

You keep going on about a amazing consumer spending the second biden took over. (2.5 years ago).

It's hard to get past that level of stupidity. 

Take a break dude. Go see your therapist and be open about your TDS. 

• Like 1

The signs have been there for months now for anyone paying attention.  The economy has been propped up by consumer credit.   Its a limited lifeline and starting to run out, which mean real trouble coming. 

2 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

You keep going on about a amazing consumer spending the second biden took over. (2.5 years ago).

It's hard to get past that level of stupidity. 

Take a break dude. Go see your therapist and be open about your TDS. 

Still waiting for you to explain the "good" economy Trump handed to Biden.

You gonna back that up or nah?

2 hours ago, BeachGuy23 said:

1 hour ago, BeachGuy23 said:

Nice job, I agree.  

1 hour ago, BeachGuy23 said:

Still waiting for you to explain the "good" economy Trump handed to Biden.

You gonna back that up or nah?

I can't help you. You paid no attention throughout the Trump administration and after the fact you throw out a bunch of lame wrong liberal whiny talking points. 

You completely forgot that your hero Fauci assisted China in unleashing a pandemic on the American public during Trump's time in office. Then you joined in with Nasty Pelosi and Creepy Joe Biden in calling Trump a xenophone for wanting to shut down the borders during a focking global pandemic. Then when creepy joe got into office he had policy to shut down everything for so long while he paid people to sit on their asses while conservatives went back to work in spite of the tottering old dementia stricken spend thrift pedophile that you and your idiot liberal tranny friends refuse to talk about because your TDS has been set to 'Rage' mode since 2015 and is stronger today than ever before. 

I'm not going to explain things to dumb ass denying liberal TDS infected nazis like yourself because it makes no difference in the end. You are programmed by your liberal authoritarian masters through the liberal collective programming you have been linked to.

When it comes to you denying lying liberals, there is no reason to put up facts because you are too far gone. 

Have fun whining your life away in deep with your TDS. :wave:

2 hours ago, BeachGuy23 said:

Yeah well this isn’t about Trump, is it dipshitt?  The worst inflation in a generation came under Biden, and it was directly related to his flawed  economic policies.  Larry Summers warned him about it and predicted everything that would happen. But Biden didn’t listen.

Just because inflation has moderated doesn’t mean the problem has been solved.  The American consumer fell so far behind because wage increases didn’t come close to compensating for the increase in prices.  Hell, my income rose substantially the last 3 years but I still feel a lot poorer than I did prior to the inflation.  I shake my head every time I go shopping or out to a restaurant.  How are people making it on an average salary?  Answer?  They are running up credit card debt.  It’s a house of cards, and this article is spot on that the next course of action for consumers is to stop spending altogether.  That’s when the house of cards starts falling down.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Patented Phil said:

Yeah well this isn’t about Trump, is it dipshitt?  The worst inflation in a generation came under Biden, and were directly related to his flawed  economic policies.  Larry Summers warned him about it and he didn’t listen.

Just because inflation has moderated doesn’t mean the problem has been solved.  The American consumer fell so far behind because wage increases didn’t come close to compensating for the increase in prices.  Hell, my income rose substantially the last 3 years but I still feel a lot poorer than I did prior to the inflation.  I shake my head every time I go shopping or out to a restaurant.  How are people making it on an average salary?  Answer?  They are running up credit card debt.  It’s a house of cards, and this article is spot on that the next course of action for consumers is going to be to stop spending altogether.  That’s when the house of cards starts falling down.

If Trump wins in 2024, within a two weeks these liberal dopes will whine about the economy and say it's all Trump's fault. There will never be any creepy joe accountability by them at any point in history. Including current day. 

They ignore creepy joe, make up lies about Trump, then demand you prove it to them that their lies are indeed lies. Rinse and repeat. They lie, then say "prove me wrong". As if I'm going to jump and work for them. 

Is there anything more pathetic than a poster trying to reinvent himself under some new alias?

What a focking loser, just admit you are who you are and move on. Are you so desperate to keep posting here that you have to invent a new focking persona to get away with it? How focking pathetic are you? 

:(

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, seafoam1 said:

If Trump wins in 2024, within a two weeks these liberal dopes will whine about the economy and say it's all Trump's fault. There will never be any creepy joe accountability by them at any point in history. Including current day. 

Now there’s no discussing any issues with the left today. They are completely disingenuous.  Their entire worldview has been simplified to one precept –  “Our policy is that whatever Trump thinks, we will do the opposite.”

Don’t even bother trying to explain things to them.  Complete waste of time.  Just call them out for the fools that they are.  Americans know what is going on, and they will vote accordingly.

10 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

They ignore creepy joe, make up lies about Trump, then demand you prove it to them that their lies are indeed lies. Rinse and repeat. They lie, then say "prove me wrong". As if I'm going to jump and work for them. 

Don’t take the bait.  Like I said, they aren’t here to learn or to have productive policy discussions.  To be honest I’m starting to think we Conservatives should just put them all on ignore, and just talk amongst ourselves.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Patented Phil said:

Yeah well this isn’t about Trump, is it dipshitt?  The worst inflation in a generation came under Biden, and it was directly related to his flawed  economic policies.  Larry Summers warned him about it and predicted everything that would happen. But Biden didn’t listen.

Just because inflation has moderated doesn’t mean the problem has been solved.  The American consumer fell so far behind because wage increases didn’t come close to compensating for the increase in prices.  Hell, my income rose substantially the last 3 years but I still feel a lot poorer than I did prior to the inflation.  I shake my head every time I go shopping or out to a restaurant.  How are people making it on an average salary?  Answer?  They are running up credit card debt.  It’s a house of cards, and this article is spot on that the next course of action for consumers is to stop spending altogether.  That’s when the house of cards starts falling down.

Can you enlighten us on what policies Biden implemented that caused inflation to explode 3 months into his term?

Csn you also explain how Trump adding $8T to the debt, spending $2.7T on Covid, and cutting taxes for the rich didn’t cause inflation?

Or are your thoughts about inflation caused only by your feelings since you clearly have zero clue what actually does cause inflation.

Here I’ll help you.  Massive government spending, free money for citizens, giant tax cuts, crushed supply chains.  These are what cause inflation and guess under whose watch they all exploded?

Hint, not Biden.  He spent just 2/3rds on Covid that Trump did (Trump wanted his name on the checks remember), and no money was spent from Biden’s bills until inflation was already 6%.

See if you’re brave enough to try to use some alternative facts to dispute my actual facts.

56 minutes ago, Patented Phil said:

Don’t take the bait.  Like I said, they aren’t here to learn or to have productive policy discussions.  To be honest I’m starting to think we Conservatives should just put them all on ignore, and just talk amongst ourselves.

The dude can't figure things out so he keeps coming back with his TDS infested mind puke asking others to explain the obvious to him about Trump's and creepy joe's terms. It's focking surreal how dumb liberals are. :doh:

5 minutes ago, BeachGuy23 said:

Can you enlighten us on what policies Biden implemented that caused inflation to explode 3 months into his term?

Csn you also explain how Trump adding $8T to the debt, spending $2.7T on Covid, and cutting taxes for the rich didn’t cause inflation?

Or are your thoughts about inflation caused only by your feelings since you clearly have zero clue what actually does cause inflation.

Here I’ll help you.  Massive government spending, free money for citizens, giant tax cuts, crushed supply chains.  These are what cause inflation and guess under whose watch they all exploded?

Hint, not Biden.  He spent just 2/3rds on Covid that Trump did (Trump wanted his name on the checks remember), and no money was spent from Biden’s bills until inflation was already 6%.

See if you’re brave enough to try to use some alternative facts to dispute my actual facts.

41 EOs on day one of his presidency is where is started.

ending our energy independence is another.

the Green New Deal is another

As of March 1, 2023 Biden has passed 517 regulatory policies. And there are another 311 in the pipeline. Total cost to the economy will be $500 billion.2200 and

Just now, Baker Boy said:

As of March 1, 2023 Biden has passed 517 regulatory policies. And there are another 311 in the pipeline. Total cost to the economy will be $500 billion.2200 and

NONE of that impacted inflation in the slightest.

And ended our energy independence?  You do know that in 2023 we'll produce more domestic energy than at any time in history right?

Do you have any clue how long inflation takes to set in and impact an economy?

Obviously not. 

2 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

You waste your time responding to that nut job.

• Thanks 1