Sign in to follow this  
seafoam1

Anyone ever buy a preowned car used as a rental car with low milage on it?

I went to look at the CX-50 Turbo yesterday and they had a CX-50 Premium available for in about my price range. They didn't offer me what I wanted for my car, which is fine, I just turned it down as I already had an offer $2000 higher for my Wrangler than they offered. They asked how much I wanted and I upped their offer basically but thanking them for offering anything. I don't really care. I just said "no" to it. But this is where I was stuck. I just felt they were trying to screw me on my vehicle and I couldn't get rid of that feeling. 

But that said, they told me at one point about preowned cars used for rental agencies that had about 3000-4000 miles on them that would cost about $5000 less. 

I briefly looked up buying preowned rental cars and was surprised that they have such high standards in maintaining the cars. 

My instincts say just buy the new car, but this is interesting for such a big price difference for so few miles. And the dealer basically said, and I confirmed with other research, that the the rental agencies normally do put a lot of focus on the health and maintenance on the car and when the dealers buy them back.

Anyone have any experience in looking into this option when buying a car?

(...enter mdc with another lame comment....)

I bought a truck with 7,000 miles on it in 2012. I still have it, and just rolled 104,000 miles. I will never buy a brand new vehicle because the prices aren't justifiable. I'd rather buy a used one for less.

7 minutes ago, lickin_starfish said:

I bought a truck with 7,000 miles on it in 2012. I still have it, and just rolled 104,000 miles. I will never buy a brand new vehicle because the prices aren't justifiable. I'd rather buy a used one for less.

Great take. Once it rolls off the lot it's cost drops considerably.

15 minutes ago, lickin_starfish said:

The used car market the past couple of years was insane. Last February I bought a 2023 and traded a 21 for roughly the same price. It was insanity. Don’t know what kind of shell game dealers where playing but it was nuts.

went from an Outback touring edition to Wilderness 

1 hour ago, seafoam1 said:

But that said, they told me at one point about preowned cars used for rental agencies that had about 3000-4000 miles on them that would cost about $5000 less.

Are you financing or cash? Could be big difference between new/used rate

1 minute ago, HellToupee said:

Are you financing or cash? Could be big difference between new/used rate

Cash. Financing % is stupid high these days. And I have near perfect credit. My credit score is like 835. 

• Like 1

I usually buy used cars. I don't think I'd ever buy a used car that was a rental. 

Just now, Cdub100 said:

I usually buy used cars. I don't think I'd ever buy a used car that was a rental. 

I'm so wary of it. I'm trying to read up as much as I can about it.

14 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

The used car market the past couple of years was insane. Last February I bought a 2023 and traded a 21 for roughly the same price. It was insanity. Don’t know what kind of shell game dealers where playing but it was nuts.

went from an Outback touring edition to Wilderness 

I’ve read that Carvana has been buying up stock like crazy and that’s inflated prices. I’d like a new used car but I’ll keep driving my current into the ground. 

Never bought one, but I did work as detailer/maintenance at a car rental place as a part time gig in my early days in the fire dept. We were pretty meticulous about PM intervals and getting recalls and check engine lights fixed at the dealer. We kept cars 15k or 1 year.  I would have no issue buying one. 

31 minutes ago, MDC said:

I’ve read that Carvana has been buying up stock like crazy and that’s inflated prices. I’d like a new used car but I’ll keep driving my current into the ground. 

Carvana offered me $2k more for my Jeep than the dealer. My mechanic said no way trade the car in. Sell it direct to someone. I think I'm getting convinced to maybe buying used. Like your wife. 😆 JK...peace.

19 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Never bought one, but I did work as detailer/maintenance at a car rental place as a part time gig in my early days in the fire dept. We were pretty meticulous about PM intervals and getting recalls and check engine lights fixed at the dealer. We kept cars 15k or 1 year.  I would have no issue buying one. 

Cool. Dealer was talking about cars with 3-4k miles on them for at least 5k cheaper than new. Talked big about how well they are maintained and the warranty still on them. 

OP what will you do for excitement, no more speed bump jumping.