Sign in to follow this  
seafoam1

Bears get Sweat

."It's capitalizing right now because you start to lose opportunities," Poles said. "If you look at the free agent stack now, it's going to look very different by the time you get to that point of the year because there are so many different opportunities that can pop up in terms of extensions, tags, different things like that. So we decided with that type of player, we wanted to capitalize on that now."

Sweat arrives in Chicago in the final year of his rookie contract. In terms of an extension, Poles told reporters that he's "really confident that we can get a deal done," adding: "It's hard to put a timeline on it, but I'm hoping it won't take too long."

Sweat is letting his agents work on a potential new contract while he focuses on assimilating to his new team.

"I'm sure my agents are talking about it," he said. "My agents and them are talking about something. But I'm not really in any of it right now. I'm just ready to get to work.

"Obviously, a player always wants to have security playing the sport that we're playing, but I mean I'm sure everything will work itself out."

40 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

If the Bears don't sign him I'll be the first to say Poles needs to go. It would be an obvious colassal fock up.

I would fully agree that you are right on this.

I do think hes doing all this on the assumption that his QB (and his offense) grows and improves enough that this combined with a REALLY good defense will be enough to make it back to the playoffs.

not sure how realistic that assumption is  but it is not unreasonable to expect the offense will improve at least some. 

the question is whether this will be enough.

On 11/1/2023 at 7:19 AM, Alias Detective said:

No #### Captain Obvious.  Glad it took a day and a half for you to get this but here you are.

You are so lost...:doh:

i think Bears will get the deal done.. i am sure they discussed this before they made the trade with the Commies . They'll have to overpay i am sure.. but thats what bad teams must do to get good players. Sweat is a good, not great pass rusher.. he will get his 7-10 sacks per year... and plays the run well.

6 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

Wow, great player, terrible team, poor front office decision. 

Grade C- to D +

no, if they didnt sign the extension this would be a D+

but the extension is signed.   whether this is fair market for his services (or not) is up for debate but they will have him for the next few years.  if hes productive I'd say at the very least this is a C but could be as high as a B+ or A- if he REALLY performs.

for now I'd give it a B-minus.  

I know some think they could have waited, but I suspect if the bears didnt buy someone else would have.   Players of his talent dont grow on trees and getting him for a second round pick isnt bad.    at this point its about what he delivers in the next 3 years or so.

I have no doubt the Bears D will be a whole lot better now.  when you can get a pass rush on the opposing QB consistently there is less pressure on the corners.

I do agree there are questions about whether this should have been the priority but you can win with a mediocre offense and a championship Defense.   and the Bears seem to have a good nose for putting together a defense.   They just have no clue when it comes to making an offense work.

Rumor is he wanted to play in Atlanta so there is no guarantee that they could have signed him in the off season. Aggressive move, overpaid... but if he plays well, the price will be forgotten quickly 

I have to stop giving certain people too much credit.  I thought the Giants were too smart to give a below average QB $40M... I was wrong.  I thought Sweat was too smart to sign a deal with a bad team heading in the wrong direction, again, I was wrong.  No pattern, as one time it was the team I believed in and the other it was the player.  I think the right move nowadays is to ask myself, "What is the dumbest possible outcome?", and that's what's most likely to happen.  :dunno:

58 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I have to stop giving certain people too much credit.  I thought the Giants were too smart to give a below average QB $40M... I was wrong.  I thought Sweat was too smart to sign a deal with a bad team heading in the wrong direction, again, I was wrong.  No pattern, as one time it was the team I believed in and the other it was the player.  I think the right move nowadays is to ask myself, "What is the dumbest possible outcome?", and that's what's most likely to happen.  :dunno:

Those two aren’t nearly the same.

Giants made a horrible investment. Period.

Sweat got paid 🤑 🤑 🤑

Now if he wanted to play for a contender, or if he was wanting to ensure he was in the best place to get another contract at the end of this one, then maybe he chose poorly. But if the idea is to get the most money as possible TODAY (not even this offseason, because he could blow out a knee in the meanwhile), then he nailed it.

Seems like an overpay.  If Sweat was all that great, wouldn't he have made the Washington D better?  That D has seemed to underperform despite a lot of hype.  I don't know - sometimes a change of scenery helps a player but seems like a big gamble to me.

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

Sweat got paid 🤑 🤑 🤑

Now if he wanted to play for a contender, or if he was wanting to ensure he was in the best place to get another contract at the end of this one, then maybe he chose poorly. But if the idea is to get the most money as possible TODAY (not even this offseason, because he could blow out a knee in the meanwhile), then he nailed it.

well not a lot of Danny Dimes contract is guaranteed if I recall.  I think just this year, next year and maybe a bit more but I am going from memory which admittedly could be off.  so correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember thinking when the deal was signed if Danny dimes didnt perform the team wouldnt be effed for many years like with the Desean Watson contract.

as for Sweat, I think the way the bears wanted to use him he would  likely perform in the system and as a player this may have appealed to him.

that said this is speculation on my part  I dont really know the reasons he signed there.   maybe he likes a blues bar in Chicago and this allows him to visit the place often.

it literally could be something as dumb as that.

in the end his reasons dont matter.  what matters now is that he is  signed.

2 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Sweat got paid 🤑 🤑 🤑

Oh, I don't have a problem with Sweat taking the money, I just gave him too much credit for taking if from a team that's not going to win many games the first half of his contract.  I figured he'd have had enough with losing in Washington, that's all.

I wouldn't be shocked if 15 months from now, he's asking for a trade.

Boggled my mind that the Giants gave Jones all that money.  I mean, only a 5 year old would've thought that was a good idea. :dunno:

Tampa and the Giants have the same QB... Tampa is paying $2M for 1 year while the Giants are paying $92M (guaranteed money).  How stupid!!  🤣  I should give the Giants owner my resume.  On it would be 1 sentence: "I am not dumb enough to guarantee Daniel Jones $92M".  I'd instantly be more qualified than their current GM.

2 hours ago, Showboat said:

Seems like an overpay.  If Sweat was all that great, wouldn't he have made the Washington D better?  That D has seemed to underperform despite a lot of hype.  I don't know - sometimes a change of scenery helps a player but seems like a big gamble to me.

Spotrac.com estimated that Sweat was worth $25.5M AAV, he got $24.5M, so I don't think he was overpaid.  Now, I'm not saying that PFF is the be-all-end-all of rankings and grading, but heading into the season, they rated him as the 8th best edge rusher last year.  I'm inclined to think they didn't overpay him.

51 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Oh, I don't have a problem with Sweat taking the money, I just gave him too much credit for taking if from a team that's not going to win many games the first half of his contract.  I figured he'd have had enough with losing in Washington, that's all.

I wouldn't be shocked if 15 months from now, he's asking for a trade.

well, he came from an organization that has a reputation of being a complete gong show from top to bottom.   perhaps the bar is so low that this actually looks good by comparison.

not sure:dunno:

or maybe hes just decided hes gonna be a professional and play for the team that has him so long as they pay fair market value.

18 hours ago, Ray_T said:

well, he came from an organization that has a reputation of being a complete gong show from top to bottom.   perhaps the bar is so low that this actually looks good by comparison.

not sure:dunno:

or maybe hes just decided hes gonna be a professional and play for the team that has him so long as they pay fair market value.

I think it could be both.  He knows a dumpster fire when he sees one, but he's willing to be a part of it if someone's willing to pay him.

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I think it could be both.  He knows a dumpster fire when he sees one, but he's willing to be a part of it if someone's willing to pay him.

quite possible this is exactly it.

and if the guy loves to play football, hes likely not willing to sit out because he just loves to play.

so in the end hes getting fair value for his service.  it seems to be in line with the analysis as noted earlier in the thread.   So maybe hes just happy to be playing football and getting paid.  Nothing wrong with that.

if it was me.... so long as the organization isnt a complete gong show and the players enjoy being there.... I'd probably be inclined to play where I'm wanted.   and Chicago clearly wants him.