Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

Rourke claimed by Pats

for those of you in a dynasty league and sitting at the bottom with no QB depth,  this kid may be worth taking a shot on.

as a guy who lives in Canada I have actually seen him play.

as a starter for the BC Lions he completed close to 80% of his passes, he ran with the ball when the situation called for it, and he has all the tools in the toolbox.   what he doesnt have is NFL experience.   I never mentioned anything about this before because I figured his chances of unseating Lawrence was zero.  but in New England I wouldnt be surprised if he gets a start or two in before the end of the season.   

for those of you who like to poo poo the CFL, a fair number of good NFL QB's played in the CFL.    

Joe Theisman

Erik Kramer was actually cut from the Calgary Stampeders before he became the starter in Chicago

Doug Flutie

Jeff Garcia

Warren moon.

and a few others.

thing you need to realize is the CFL is a passing league.   you get 3 downs to get 10 yards.  not 4 like the NFL.    

I've seen the  kid play live and he does have some skills.   what I dont know is how much that skill translates to the NFL but anytime you have a completion % that is over 70% you need to take note because a QB with poor accuracy couldnt hit that number even if his WR's were wide open every time.

all I am saying is in a dynasty league,  the cost to pick him up right now is close to zero and while this is a bit of a hail mary it is not unprecedented that a CFL QB goes south and does well and now hes in a spot where he has a real chance to do something as the QB's  in New England have not been good at all.

dont get me wrong, you are not gonna insert him in for your championship game 2 weeks from now, but he might be a nice dynasty stash for next year if you have the ability to grab him.

I think the nfl needs to adopt that three down rule.  

Just now, weepaws said:

I think the nfl needs to adopt that three down rule.  

well it makes it a far more pass-centric league.

CFL also has a bigger field (both longer and wider) and there is an extra man on the field for both sides.   means there are more options to disguise your coverages than what you see in the NFL.

you also will very rarely run the ball on 2nd and 8 in the CFL.

It would be fun.  

6 hours ago, weepaws said:

It would be fun.  

At that point, fantasy football rosters will be 2 QB's, 1 RB, 5 WR's, and a kicker.  You'll make RB's, TE's, and DE's irrelevant.

12 hours ago, Ray_T said:

for those of you in a dynasty league and sitting at the bottom with no QB depth,  this kid may be worth taking a shot on.

as a guy who lives in Canada I have actually seen him play.

as a starter for the BC Lions he completed close to 80% of his passes, he ran with the ball when the situation called for it, and he has all the tools in the toolbox.   what he doesnt have is NFL experience.   I never mentioned anything about this before because I figured his chances of unseating Lawrence was zero.  but in New England I wouldnt be surprised if he gets a start or two in before the end of the season.   

for those of you who like to poo poo the CFL, a fair number of good NFL QB's played in the CFL.    

Joe Theisman

Erik Kramer was actually cut from the Calgary Stampeders before he became the starter in Chicago

Doug Flutie

Jeff Garcia

Warren moon.

and a few others.

thing you need to realize is the CFL is a passing league.   you get 3 downs to get 10 yards.  not 4 like the NFL.    

I've seen the  kid play live and he does have some skills.   what I dont know is how much that skill translates to the NFL but anytime you have a completion % that is over 70% you need to take note because a QB with poor accuracy couldnt hit that number even if his WR's were wide open every time.

all I am saying is in a dynasty league,  the cost to pick him up right now is close to zero and while this is a bit of a hail mary it is not unprecedented that a CFL QB goes south and does well and now hes in a spot where he has a real chance to do something as the QB's  in New England have not been good at all.

dont get me wrong, you are not gonna insert him in for your championship game 2 weeks from now, but he might be a nice dynasty stash for next year if you have the ability to grab him.

Thanks.  I'll have a roster spot open in my keeper league.  He can't be any worse of a shot in the dark at this point in time.

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Thanks.  I'll have a roster spot open in my keeper league.  He can't be any worse of a shot in the dark at this point in time.

at this point I see an actual path to him getting a start in New England.   Team clearly doesnt believe in either of their QB's so I do think there is a fair chance he will play by year end

38 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

at this point I see an actual path to him getting a start in New England.   Team clearly doesnt believe in either of their QB's so I do think there is a fair chance he will play by year end

I think his tenure with the Pats is 100% dependent on the draft in April.  If they take a 1st round QB, then he's at best, a #2 (if he beats out Zappe).  Drafting a #1 means Mac Jones is getting released.  At that point, stashing Rourke would be a waste. BUT, if they choose to wait until the 2nd or 3rd round to draft a QB, then there's a chance that Rourke will get a chance to compete for the starting job.

4 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

At that point, fantasy football rosters will be 2 QB's, 1 RB, 5 WR's, and a kicker.  You'll make RB's, TE's, and DE's irrelevant.

I would say it’s close to that being the case now.  Lots of leagues on this board don’t use a Def, and a lot of leagues don’t have a te slot, a lot of leagues use flex spots.  And there are so little rb1 today in ff.  Yea it would be a great change. 

6 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I would say it’s close to that being the case now.  Lots of leagues on this board don’t use a Def, and a lot of leagues don’t have a te slot, a lot of leagues use flex spots.  And there are so little rb1 today in ff.  Yea it would be a great change. 

Those leagues don't sound very fun.

I think defensive scoring needs to adapt, not be removed.  I've been arguing that point in my keeper league for a few years, but everyone is like... "well it's the same for everyone".  Which is a stupid argument, in my opinion because it keeps them boring.

5 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

28 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Those leagues don't sound very fun.

I think defensive scoring needs to adapt, not be removed.  I've been arguing that point in my keeper league for a few years, but everyone is like... "well it's the same for everyone".  Which is a stupid argument, in my opinion because it keeps them boring.

38 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Just don’t think three downs hurts ff.  I think it would a great way for the nfl to go. 

are waivers are locked, or i would.

I've got 3 QB keepers on my dynasty team, they're all 3 injured so I'm rolling with Matthew Stafford 🤣

Justin Herbert, CJ Stroud, Anthony Richardson. I'm committed to never being in QB hell again. 😆

I've had it ruin to many good seasons.

16 hours ago, polecatt said:

I've got 3 QB keepers on my dynasty team, they're all 3 injured so I'm rolling with Matthew Stafford 🤣

Justin Herbert, CJ Stroud, Anthony Richardson. I'm committed to never being in QB hell again. 😆

Drafting Bryce Young; instead of a RB like Mostert kind of screwed over 2 of my teams somewhat. But, I understand what you mean. Those are 2 QB start leagues, I should also mention.

On 12/20/2023 at 8:46 AM, TBayXXXVII said:

I think his tenure with the Pats is 100% dependent on the draft in April.  If they take a 1st round QB, then he's at best, a #2 (if he beats out Zappe).  Drafting a #1 means Mac Jones is getting released.  At that point, stashing Rourke would be a waste. BUT, if they choose to wait until the 2nd or 3rd round to draft a QB, then there's a chance that Rourke will get a chance to compete for the starting job.

agreed.   a first round QB guarantees the best he gets is backup QB.

I'd also argue if Belicheck leaves or gets fired, his tenure may end with the new coach as well.

On 12/20/2023 at 4:37 PM, polecatt said:

its been that kind of year.

in my 12 team,  2 QB league I had (at the start of the year) my top 2 QBs were Herbert and Cousins with Tannehill as my third QB.

Cousins got hurt and Tannehill got hurt/replaced so I picked up Heinecke for a couple games and he was solid but then got hurt/replaced in a bad game and lost his job.   then I picked up flacco thinking hes better than anything else they had in cleveland and that he was a better fit for the type of offense they are running there.

I traded a starting Calibre RB for Carr when Herbert went down) (not by choice)  and  now I'm winning this week with Carr and Flacco.    feels like the smoke & mirrors show this year but I've somehow managed to keep the team together. (so far)

2 hours ago, Ray_T said:

its been that kind of year.

in my 12 team,  2 QB league I had (at the start of the year) my top 2 QBs were Herbert and Cousins with Tannehill as my third QB.

Cousins got hurt and Tannehill got hurt/replaced so I picked up Heinecke for a couple games and he was solid but then got hurt/replaced in a bad game and lost his job.   then I picked up flacco thinking hes better than anything else they had in cleveland and that he was a better fit for the type of offense they are running there.

I traded a starting Calibre RB for Carr when Herbert went down) (not by choice)  and  now I'm winning this week with Carr and Flacco.    feels like the smoke & mirrors show this year but I've somehow managed to keep the team together. (so far)

Oh yeah, that really sucks in a 2 QB league. Having to play waiver wire trash QBs each week.

I'm fortunate to have been able to pick up Stafford. He's been a dynasty favorite of mine most of his career. He often plays excellent late in the season. I've won 3 league championships with him as my starting QB over the years

6 hours ago, polecatt said:

Oh yeah, that really sucks in a 2 QB league. Having to play waiver wire trash QBs each week.

I'm fortunate to have been able to pick up Stafford. He's been a dynasty favorite of mine most of his career. He often plays excellent late in the season. I've won 3 league championships with him as my starting QB over the years

honestly I had to play one week with only 1 QB.  I won anyway but it was a whole lot closer than it should have been.

lots of teams who run out of FAAB dollars late in the year can get caught this way.  I got lucky and picked up flacco the day they signed him and hes really been a godsend for my fantasy team.   If I win the championship it will be because of him.     and make no mistake, normally when a team loses both their starting QB in this league, you are dead in the water but somehow the fantasy gods have been smiling on me.   I found a way to make it work.

On 12/24/2023 at 3:03 PM, LaChup said:

The only good thing to come out of Canada were the truckers.

I bet you service a lot of em :wub: