Sign in to follow this  
supermike80

***OFFICIAL NFC Championship Lions @ 49ers Thread***

25 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

I thought the Lions were going to put that game away after the hot start they got off to.  I am still not sure if it was comeback or meltdown in the second half.  

It was without a doubt a teamwide meltdown. Defensive backs allowing balls to bounce off their shoulder for a 50 yard catch instead of picking it. Reynolds dropping TWO key 4th down conversions. Easy catches. They just bounced off his hands. Gibbs fumbling, Williams not catching that long bomb. The coaches not adjusting AT ALL on either side. The play calling was absurd. No feel for clock management. Going for it on 4th down every time is not smart. Sometimes just take the points. It was an overall meltdown of epic proportions. Something you see in cartoons. I blame our GM for some of this also. Holmes could have made a lot of moves at the deadline. Sweat and Young were out there as DE help and instead of making a run at either they went to other teams. Either or both would have made our line into a monster. Instead I watched Hutchinson get pushed wide each time by people who practice against a bosa brother. I am still pisssed off. Not sure if you can tell. My dad is 69 years old and has never seen the lions in the superbowl. This was the best shot we have ever had and it was wasted  

5 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

It was without a doubt a teamwide meltdown. Defensive backs allowing balls to bounce off their shoulder for a 50 yard catch instead of picking it. Reynolds dropping TWO key 4th down conversions. Easy catches. They just bounced off his hands. Gibbs fumbling, Williams not catching that long bomb. The coaches not adjusting AT ALL on either side. The play calling was absurd. No feel for clock management. Going for it on 4th down every time is not smart. Sometimes just take the points. It was an overall meltdown of epic proportions. Something you see in cartoons. I blame our GM for some of this also. Holmes could have made a lot of moves at the deadline. Sweat and Young were out there as DE help and instead of making a run at either they went to other teams. Either or both would have made our line into a monster. Instead I watched Hutchinson get pushed wide each time by people who practice against a bosa brother. I am still pisssed off. Not sure if you can tell. My dad is 69 years old and has never seen the lions in the superbowl. This was the best shot we have ever had and it was wasted  

The bolded was also flagged for PI, picking it off wouldn't have mattered. Ayuik made an incredible play, credit where credit is due.

4 minutes ago, Reality said:

The bolded was also flagged for PI, picking it off wouldn't have mattered. Ayuik made an incredible play, credit where credit is due.

It was not. There was NO foul on the play. They ate the flag . If he catches that ball it is a pick instead it bounces off his shoulder into Ayuiks quick hands. 

1 minute ago, kilroy69 said:

It was not. There was NO foul on the play. They ate the flag it bounced off his shoulder. If he catches that ball it is a pick

I don't think that is correct, either way, doesn't really matter, incredible play by Ayuik. The DB is a DB for a reason.

10 minutes ago, Reality said:

I don't think that is correct, either way, doesn't really matter, incredible play by Ayuik. The DB is a DB for a reason.

It is correct. I can assure you. The DB did not even have to catch the ball. Not touching it would have resulted in a better outcome. It was a great play by Ayuik for sure but that is just part of the meltdown by Detroit. SF did not win the game. Detroit lost it by shooting themselves in the feet at every level  in the second half. 

27 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

It is correct. I can assure you. The DB did not even have to catch the ball. Not touching it would have resulted in a better outcome. It was a great play by Ayuik for sure but that is just part of the meltdown by Detroit. SF did not win the game. Detroit lost it by shooting themselves in the feet at every level  in the second half. 

Lol, sure.

Was watching with friends yesterday.

first off- great season and game plan by Det. i feel bad for you guys. it was really a live by the sword, die by the sword evening.  Campbell is why you are where you are, but those were very costly decisions last night.

General observations:

Det Oline and dline did an excellent job in the first half.  As a 49ers fan, i am pissed/disappointed in our defense. the past two games they have been poor against the run (typically a strength)...did better in the 2nd half last night. I think a lot of the 49ers game flow is predicated by how the defense performs.

Offense isn't totally clicking. CMC had a big run to help raise his ypc, but det did a nice job containing him for the most part. I would have liked to have seen more plays to aiyuk and kittle earlier in the game.

Purdy is fine. he started out 6/9 (two of them batted at the line). slumped, but composed himself to move the chains (two comebacks in the playoffs this year).

6 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Was watching with friends yesterday.

first off- great season and game plan by Det. i feel bad for you guys. it was really a live by the sword, die by the sword evening.  Campbell is why you are where you are, but those were very costly decisions last night.

General observations:

Det Oline and dline did an excellent job in the first half.  As a 49ers fan, i am pissed/disappointed in our defense. the past two games they have been poor against the run (typically a strength)...did better in the 2nd half last night. I think a lot of the 49ers game flow is predicated by how the defense performs.

Offense isn't totally clicking. CMC had a big run to help raise his ypc, but det did a nice job containing for the most part. I would have liked to have seen more plays to aiyuk and kittle earlier in the game.

Purdy is fine. he started out 6/9 (two of them batted at the line). slumped, but composed himself to move the chains (two comebacks in the playoffs this year).

A bit of salt there for this Packer fan's wounds.  

I hope your team is fully helathy and gives us all a representative performance in the big game.  When the 49ers are hitting on all cylinders they are pretty impressive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Engorgeous George said:

A bit of salt there for this Packer fan's wounds.  

I hope your team is fully helathy and gives us all a representative performance in the big game.  When the 49ers are hitting on all cylinders they are pretty impressive.

not my intention.. only stating that he has now had two clutch performances when he needed to in big games

For 2 games the 9ers got outplayed for a good portion of time.  

Not sure they can do that vs the Chiefs and escape with a win.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, listen2me 23 said:

For 2 games the 9ers got outplayed for a good portion of time.  

Not sure they can do that vs the Chiefs and escape with a win.  

i wouldn't disagree... only, a tale of two halves yesterday.  If they can replicated the second half, I am optimistic.

5 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

not my intention.. only stating that he has now had two clutch performances when he needed to in big games

I know.  I just have a few 49er scars, starting with Rice's fumble and culminating in the last half decade.  No big deal.  As a general rule I have liked them since back in the days of John Brody. The recent ownage has got me sensitive.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

i wouldn't disagree... only, a tale of two halves yesterday.  If they can replicated the second half, I am optimistic.

Oh for sure.  2 different teams out there last night.  Just saying they can't afford a 1st half like they played.  Highly doubt thr Chiefs would let them off the hook.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

I know.  I just have a few 49er scars, starting with Rice's fumble and culminating in the last half decade.  No big deal.  As a general rule I have liked them since back in the days of John Brody. The recent ownage has got me sensitive.  

Roger Craig’s fumble didn’t leave a worse scar? 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Roger Craig’s fumble didn’t leave a worse scar? 

:mad: that and the fake with 10 men on the field :mad:

.. other frustration for the defense was giving up at least 5 third and longs

Rumor mill circling hard that Ben Johnson is going to stay at least one more year in Detroit

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Rumor mill circling hard that Ben Johnson is going to stay at least one more year in Detroit

👍