Sign in to follow this  
Baker Boy

Women’s History Month

Be sure to teach your daughter to choose the people she hangs around with carefully. 

Margaret Thatcher (1925–2013) British Prime Minister during the 1980s. Developed close relationships with Ronald Reagan and got on with Soviet Premier Gorbachev. Known for her strong, controversial leadership style

On 3/10/2024 at 9:39 AM, Baker Boy said:

2. It’s not widespread.

I find it inappropriate for you to use the phrase widespread in a thread about women history month.  Sure some made history that way, but we are trying for a higher form of dialog.

Angela Merkel (1954– ) Merkel has been chancellor of Germany since 2005 and the de facto leader of the European Union during financial crisis

Queen Elizabeth II (1926– ) The second longest serving British monarch, her reign started in 1953.

. Jane Austen (1775–1817) English author. Her novels include: Sense and Sensibility (1811), Pride and Prejudice (1813) and Emma (1816

On 3/16/2024 at 8:52 AM, Baker Boy said:

. Jane Austen (1775–1817) English author. Her novels include: Sense and Sensibility (1811), Pride and Prejudice (1813) and Emma (1816

Curious, have you made it through any of those ponderous tomes?

12 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Curious, have you made it through any of those ponderous tomes?

Yes

On 3/10/2024 at 11:43 AM, BeachGuy23 said:

Do you think it's widespread?

Sorry. You have to wait your turn for gay month. 

16 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Agatha Christie (1890–1976) Best selling crime fiction author, and creator of the Poirot and Miss Marple detective series

Good stuff but still one step below Columbo. 

Helen Keller (1880–1968) At the age of 19 months Helen became deaf and blind. Overcoming the frustration of losing both sight and hearing she campaigned tirelessly on behalf of deaf and blind people

Billie Holiday (1915–1959) Given the title “First Lady of the Blues,” Billie Holiday was widely considered to be the greatest and most expressive jazz singer of all time

Rosa Parks (1913–2005) Rosa Parks’ refusal to give up her bus seat to a white man indirectly led to some of the most significant civil rights legislation of American history

Anne Boleyn (1501-1536) 2nd wife to Henry VIII. Anne Boleyn was influential in forcing Henry VIII to break with Rome and set up the Church of England. She was crowned Queen in 1533, but after failing to produce a male heir, Boleyn was executed in 1536

Yoko Ono (1933– ) Japanese-American artist and musician. Married John Lennon, star of the Beatles. Yoko Ono was also a fashion icon

38 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Yoko Ono (1933– ) Japanese-American artist and musician. Married John Lennon, star of the Beatles. Yoko Ono was also a fashion icon

Really?  Yoko Ono is one of the 31 most noteworthy women of all time?  I'm not even going to tell my wife this one; she may smash my computer.  :unsure: 

• Like 1

No, she was ranked number 66 by biography online. I posted it to see what kind of reactions I would get. She isn’t even the worst choice on their list.

• Thanks 1

Simone de Beauvoir : She helped us understand that women should not have a choice between being in the home or being in the workplace, they should be forced into the workplace whether they like it or not.

Ahhh, feminism......

Theresa May (1956 – ) British Conservative Prime Minister working out Brexit negotiations with EU