Sign in to follow this  
seafoam1

Against the death penalty?

What's with the multi life sentences? Drop him in a 6 foot hole and bury him alive til he's dead. Same for the others involved. Why is that so hard?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-man-receives-more-than-10-life-sentences-torturing-stepchildren-nephews

David Calhoun, 38, tortured several children similar to the way prisoners of war and political prisoners were tortured during the Korean and Vietnam wars, prosecutors said, according to Fox 4. The abuse was inflicted on several of his stepchildren and nephews who lived with him in a fifth-wheel trailer near Gainesville, Texas.

The Cooke County District Attorney’s Office said jurors deliberated for less than an hour on Monday before convicting Calhoun on five counts of sexual assault of a child, seven counts of aggravated assault, and one count of assault strangulation.

Jurors took about the same amount of time to determine Calhoun's punishment, which was 10 life sentences, a 10-year sentence and two 20-year sentences.

"The prolonged period of torture that the defendant put the children through in this case is the worst abuse that I have ever seen," Cook County prosecutor Eric Erlandson said. "The mental, psychological, and physical torture that they endured for the better part of six years is unimaginable."

"The resilience and strength that the children showed in this case is awe-inspiring. They never gave up and showed tremendous courage from the very beginning. The lasting legacy of this case is that evil will not prevail — even when things seemed hopeless the children were determined to make their story heard," Erlandson added.

The abuse started in 2017 when Calhoun began looking after his nephews, court documents show.

Investigators learned about the abuse in 2022 after police found Calhoun's 16-year-old nephew in a Nebraska hotel room with several unrelated adults.

The boy told police he ran away from home to escape extreme physical and psychological abuse. He showed them scars across his body and outlined instances in which he was tied up for days, set on fire with gasoline, beaten with a metal pipe, stabbed with a kitchen knife and burned on his face and genitals almost daily with either a lighter or a cattle prod.

The teenager said Calhoun used a Channellock to remove his fingernails and toenails. He also said Calhoun knocked out several of his teeth with brass knuckles and wrapped a hair tie around his testicles for 24 hours.

Investigators later discovered evidence that the abuse had happened in multiple cities across East Texas and that multiple children and adults in the home were victims of Calhoun's abuse.

"The abuse increased until it reached its climax in the summer of 2022 in Cooke County, Texas," the Cooke County District Attorney’s Office said. "At which time, the abuse was described by Pamela Miller, Senior Policy Analyst with the APSAC Center for Child Policy, as Intrafamilial Child Torture — which is almost indistinguishable from the type of torture that POWs and political prisoners suffered during the Korean War and the Vietnam War."

Calhoun's wife, Ashley Calhoun, and another adult living in the home were also indicted for their alleged connection to the case. They are scheduled to go to trial next month.

I am against the death penalty for practical reasons.

It takes forever. Costs tons of money and allows d bags like the innocence project to get money to run around the country screaming brady violation. 

• Like 1

I am on the fence.

There is the laborious and costly process, as noted already.

But there is also the inclination of our system to get it wrong.  And for people to be later exonerated.

Notably sinister is that "believe all women" nonsense......as if non of them would ever lie.....

5 hours ago, RLLD said:

I am on the fence.

There is the laborious and costly process, as noted already.

But there is also the inclination of our system to get it wrong.  And for people to be later exonerated.

Notably sinister is that "believe all women" nonsense......as if non of them would ever lie.....

The point is to be logical. Black girl hates white girl so she smashes white girl's head on ground. Kill that behavior.

Kill this guy. 

Death penalty is one thing I've become more liberal on in my old age.  I used to be in favor of it (if it were more expedient); now I oppose it.  One, I don't think the government should be in the business of killing it's people.  Two, I find it more consistent with my overall "sanctity of life" stance with abortion.  

Yeah I know, this monster is different than an innocent unborn child.

Heavily in favor of it.  I've addressed in previous posts how all concerns raised above can be addressed.  It's a no brainer for dealing with those who have forfeited their right to live through their actions. 

39 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Death penalty is one thing I've become more liberal on in my old age.  I used to be in favor of it (if it were more expedient); now I oppose it.  One, I don't think the government should be in the business of killing it's people.  Two, I find it more consistent with my overall "sanctity of life" stance with abortion.  

Jury of their peers. 

I'm for it in cases where there is absolute unquestionable evidence. There are crimes so evil that there is no way the perp can be redeemed.

1 hour ago, Nomad99 said:

I'm for it in cases where there is absolute unquestionable evidence. There are crimes so evil that there is no way the perp can be redeemed.

The vast majority of criminals cant be redeemed. 

33 minutes ago, jonnyutah said:

The vast majority of criminals cant be redeemed. 

And many of them fon't deserve the chance.

4 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Man 'skids, somebody kills a bunch of people or tortures kids doesnt give a shiot about "sanctity of life" IMO and should be treated accordingly

Georgia has one scheduled for tonight.  Let's hope some lib judge doesn't f it up.

This POS needs to be put in general population and if the job isn't done by the other inmates inside a few months, execute him. 

I'm 100% death penalty. It just needs to be used correctly, which it isn't. THIS is a case where the POS should be dead inside a couple weeks max. Appeals should take about 30 seconds each. Once done, end him.

Just now, lod001 said:

This POS needs to be put in general population and if the job isn't done by the other inmates inside a few months, execute him. 

I'm 100% death penalty. It just needs to be used correctly, which it isn't. THIS is a case where the POS should be dead inside a couple weeks max. Appeals should take about 30 seconds each. Once done, end him.

:thumbsup:

I'm for giving the death penalty to those against the death penalty. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1