Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

2024 NFL Draft Profile - QB Jayden Daniels

Vikings would a very good landing spot. 

looking at the tape.  its interesting that all the bad examples of decision making are cases where he ran the ball (or tried to escape a sack)and took a big hit.  This is coachable.

interestingly enough, none of the bad decision making was as a result of throws.

though I'm sure there has to be at least one good example of where he made a dumb decision throwing the ball.

I think there is an accuracy issue with his throwing at times.   he looks like he sails a lot of throws.   some when under pressure, but some when throwing  normally.   interestingly enough the one scouting report suggests hes further along in his ability to throw the ball than Lamar was at this point in his career.   I find that a bit surprising but I have heard Lamar came a long way to get to where he is.  maybe I just didnt realize it.

His elbow may be a concern

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 12:07 PM, Ray_T said:

looking at the tape.  its interesting that all the bad examples of decision making are cases where he ran the ball (or tried to escape a sack)and took a big hit.  This is coachable.

interestingly enough, none of the bad decision making was as a result of throws.

though I'm sure there has to be at least one good example of where he made a dumb decision throwing the ball.

First point: you are absolutely correct about it being coachable.

Second point: you made a great point, so I went through just his 2023 season to look at his four interceptions. Here they are:

https://youtu.be/8GPmGrpW6rY?t=518 (WR fell down)
https://youtu.be/cTPN8OurkAY?t=61 (trap)
https://youtu.be/mmKtr4B9u0M?t=375 (tip)
https://youtu.be/Tk-gQlHRdG0?t=733 (tip)

The "trap" is the only one I would consider a semi-bad decision, although college QBs don't see a lot of Cover 2 trap coverage, which is what this was. I didn't review this game when I was putting the profile together, but I don't think I would have added it to the piece even if I did see it.

On 3/29/2024 at 12:20 PM, Ray_T said:

I think there is an accuracy issue with his throwing at times.   he looks like he sails a lot of throws.   some when under pressure, but some when throwing  normally.   interestingly enough the one scouting report suggests hes further along in his ability to throw the ball than Lamar was at this point in his career.   I find that a bit surprising but I have heard Lamar came a long way to get to where he is.  maybe I just didnt realize it.

Another great point, although you're going to find every quarterback sail a throw or three when you review 200-300 of them.

Lamar was more of a pocket passer than he was given credit for out of college (I remember saying almost exactly that in my profile of him), but Daniels is truly a precision passer IMO inside of 20 yards. Caleb Williams is the more gifted passer per se, but he does improvise a lot (2022 was not much different than 2023 in that regard).

Love Daniels as a player and the explosiveness is undeniable. I would be ecstatic if the Patriots got him.

But man, will he hold up?

I would not surprised if he was like Anthony Richardson last season. Extremely dynamic and exciting player … who lasted all of five or six games.

2 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Love Daniels as a player and the explosiveness is undeniable. I would be ecstatic if the Patriots got him.

But man, will he hold up?

I would not surprised if he was like Anthony Richardson last season. Extremely dynamic and exciting player … who lasted all of five or six games.

Honestly, that is probably my top concern. He's also about 30 pounds lighter than AR too. I think he will learn (as AR will) to get what he can and get down/out, but it might be frustrating to own him in fantasy for the first year or two if he doesn't protect himself better.

I can see his elbow bone popping right out that skin of his. Can someone please queue the picture?