Sign in to follow this  
polecatt

Brandon Aiyuk requests trade?

Does it say anywhere why he wants to be traded?  

Oh now we have a denial.  Here we go. 

2 hours ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Darn, I was selfishly hoping it was true. 

it might be true.  Just because hes denying it doesnt mean it didnt happen.  he was sort of at odds with his coach there for a couple of years.

its possible that this never truly got resolved.

either way, if he suddenly gets traded and it surprises a few, then we will know there may have been something to this rumour.

The Steelers would be a good fit for him now that DJ is gone.  

He's looking for a new contract, so it may just be posturing, but once the floodgates have opened, you never know. Other teams are gonna try to pounce

1 hour ago, polecatt said:

He's looking for a new contract, so it may just be posturing, but once the floodgates have opened, you never know. Other teams are gonna try to pounce

certainly possible.

but if he does want out, the time to make a fuss is now.   team can trade him for a player or a pick and its a very deep draft for WR.   if moving on from a big contract and going for youth at the position, this is the time to do it.

6 hours ago, polecatt said:

He's going to get WR1 money. SF has some decisions to make with Purdy coming up on contract, etc. 

Somebody's gotta go, Deebo or Aiyuk. 

He's posturing for a new deal. He did drop the 49ers from his social media account. Even if he did ask for a trade I don't think he 'll get the money he's looking for. I believe his best chance to get a ring is to remain a 49er. Possible Deebo won't be there in 2025 making Aiyuk the defacto #1 WR. Maybe someone should tell him the grass isn't always greener on the other side. When all is said and done I think Brandon Aiyuk gets a deal done that's amenable to both sides and he'll stay in San Fran.

1 hour ago, DocNiner said:

He's posturing for a new deal. He did drop the 49ers from his social media account. Even if he did ask for a trade I don't think he 'll get the money he's looking for. I believe his best chance to get a ring is to remain a 49er. Possible Deebo won't be there in 2025 making Aiyuk the defacto #1 WR. Maybe someone should tell him the grass isn't always greener on the other side. When all is said and done I think Brandon Aiyuk gets a deal done that's amenable to both sides and he'll stay in San Fran.

Depends on what you mean by "the grass isn't always greener".  He's gotten better every year he's been in the league even while the QB position as been somewhat chaotic during that time frame.  Every GM and coach has seen this.  Even if the Niners trade him to a team with a terrible QB and no supporting cast, either that team is going to pay him top 5/10 WR money, get tagged, or go to another team the following year because they paid him top 5/10 WR money.  Now, he may not win where he goes, but he'll get paid.  To him, that may be "greener".

Besides, this is the NFL, just because you won a couple years in a row, it doesn't mean that's going to last.  Both McCaffrey and Kittle, neither who've been a beacon of health, have contracts ending after the 2025 season.  Assuming Aiyuk plays this season out, he's going to go into next season needing a new deal, seeing that after the 2025 season, Deebo, McCaffrey, Kittle, and Purdy are all going to need new deals along with how many other players.  They're all not going to be re-signed, some are going to have to go.  Not saying the Niners will suck, but being in the middle of the pack isn't necessarily "green" either.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Depends on what you mean by "the grass isn't always greener".  He's gotten better every year he's been in the league even while the QB position as been somewhat chaotic during that time frame.  Every GM and coach has seen this.  Even if the Niners trade him to a team with a terrible QB and no supporting cast, either that team is going to pay him top 5/10 WR money, get tagged, or go to another team the following year because they paid him top 5/10 WR money.  Now, he may not win where he goes, but he'll get paid.  To him, that may be "greener".

Besides, this is the NFL, just because you won a couple years in a row, it doesn't mean that's going to last.  Both McCaffrey and Kittle, neither who've been a beacon of health, have contracts ending after the 2025 season.  Assuming Aiyuk plays this season out, he's going to go into next season needing a new deal, seeing that after the 2025 season, Deebo, McCaffrey, Kittle, and Purdy are all going to need new deals along with how many other players.  They're all not going to be re-signed, some are going to have to go.  Not saying the Niners will suck, but being in the middle of the pack isn't necessarily "green" either.

Aiyuk is definitely getting paid. Teams will line up to if the Niners don't. The big problem will be Purdy who's coming up for a contract as well. Can they pay Purdy 40 million a year and still keep Aiyuk, Deebo and McCaffrey amongst others? I don't see how that's possible without decimating the defense. 

4 hours ago, Maximum Overkill said:

He's going to get WR1 money. SF has some decisions to make with Purdy coming up on contract, etc. 

Somebody's gotta go, Deebo or Aiyuk. 

I think Aiyuk will certainly win out in that one.

He's more of a WR1 and he's younger. Deebo is a great offensive player, but he's about 75% WR and 25% RB. Whic is nice of course, but they will need a top WR.

12 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Aiyuk is definitely getting paid. Teams will line up to if the Niners don't. The big problem will be Purdy who's coming up for a contract as well. Can they pay Purdy 40 million a year and still keep Aiyuk, Deebo and McCaffrey amongst others? I don't see how that's possible without decimating the defense. 

Assuming Purdy's performance this year is relatively close to last year, he's in line for $60M AAV.  A few years ago, when Dak was claiming (and others on his behalf), for $40M AAV, those numbers were around where Purdy is.  Now, the sentiment is that Dak, still producing in the ballpark of those numbers, is that Dak is worth $60M.  Purdy got his team to 2 NFC Championship games... 2 more than Dak (who had 8 cracks at it).  If Purdy has a season where he's around 4200 to 4500 yards with 30 to 35+ TD's, he's getting $60M, not $40M.

5 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

he's in line for $60M

You're probably correct but that would be insane for what I'd consider a system QB. 

Can you see them paying Purdy 60 million? That would essentially mean blowing the team up, window closed. 

I just don't see that happening. 

7 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

You're probably correct but that would be insane for what I'd consider a system QB. 

Can you see them paying Purdy 60 million? That would essentially mean blowing the team up, window closed. 

I just don't see that happening. 

Every QB is a system QB.  The reason they performed at that level to which they did, the system and the QB were a match. 

Sure, why not?  I wouldn't, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't.  Like I said, if the sentiment is that Dak is worth $60M, then Purdy has to be as well, since he's accomplished more.  If a guy is good enough, while I still think it's unwise to pay someone that kind of money, it'll still work itself out.  The only issues I have with QB salaries is when the QB is only so/so, and you pay him $30M when a draft pick or off-season pickup can be so/so and cost $10M.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Purdy has to be as well, since he's accomplished more

That logic doesn't always compute. Nick Foles won a Superbowl, he surely doesn't deserve 60 million. 

There's a lot worse Conference Championship winning QBs. There's a ton of QBs who have done more than Dak and won multiple playoff games, do they deserve 60 million? 

I see big holes in that thinking. He's in an amazing situation that won't be so amazing when they need to trade talent to find 60 million in cap space. At that point he's Nick Foles. 

It’s very simple, the Niners will pay him, or he’s moving on. 

8 minutes ago, weepaws said:

It’s very simple, the Niners will pay him, or he’s moving on. 

He's not getting 60 million. You can bet your life on that. 

37 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Sure, why not?  I wouldn't, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't.  Like I said, if the sentiment is that Dak is worth $60M, then Purdy has to be as well, since he's accomplished more.  If a guy is good enough, while I still think it's unwise to pay someone that kind of money, it'll still work itself out.

I dont know that Dak is worth 60M but I'd say that Purdy is on par with Dak. (maybe a little better)

either way, the players on this team perform (in part) because the team was put together so that all the pieces combined are more than the collective whole.

as a player I'd want to remain in an organization that is maximizing my talent.  I dont see any of these guys performing better anywhere else. (with one or two possible exceptions)

but at the end of the day the team wont be able to keep all the WR and Brock Purdy.   there simply isnt enough cap space.   I think Deebo is the guy to go but I could be wrong.  and if Aiyuk is making too many waves, maybe he will be the guy to move.

2 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

I think Deebo is the guy to go

I agree. They can't possibly let Aiyuk walk

1 minute ago, Ray_T said:

I dont know that Dak is worth 60M but I'd say that Purdy is on par with Dak. (maybe a little better)

either way, the players on this team perform (in part) because the team was put together so that all the pieces combined are more than the collective whole.

as a player I'd want to remain in an organization that is maximizing my talent.  I dont see any of these guys performing better anywhere else. (with one or two possible exceptions)

but at the end of the day the team wont be able to keep all the WR and Brock Purdy.   there simply isnt enough cap space.   I think Deebo is the guy to go but I could be wrong.  and if Aiyuk is making too many waves, maybe he will be the guy to move.

I'm certainly not saying I think Dak is worth $60M, I'm simply saying that's the number I've heard thrown around while listening to NFL Radio... and that's by the pundits and guests, not fans.

I think every team that has success is there because all the right pieces fit.  That said, just because I think that, and you apparently, it doesn't mean the players feel that way.  They have a much bigger ego, and I can understand why... they're there after all.   I think there are players that see the big picture, but I believe there's a larger group that think they're more important than they really are... or understand.

I think the 49ers are better served paying Aiyuk what he's worth now and spread out that bonus money to dilute it as much as they could.  Then, pay Deebo and Purdy next year.  Both Kittle and McCaffrey will be free agents after the 2025 season.  Kittle will be 32... McCaffrey 29.  It's best to address them leaving now, so that you can let them walk after the 2025 saeson, and keep both Deebo & Aiyuk.  The TE & RB positions are cheaper to replace than game changing WR's.  It's best to keep the ones you have and go fill in the gaps with the cheaper players.

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Purdy next year

Purdy's agent should be fired immediately if he lets Purdy play this year on his current contract. If he was my client I wouldn't let him step anywhere near that field until he's paid. 

I'd be almost shocked if that's not restructured somehow. 

20 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Purdy's agent should be fired immediately if he lets Purdy play this year on his current contract. If he was my client I wouldn't let him step anywhere near that field until he's paid. 

I'd be almost shocked if that's not restructured somehow. 

He still has another year after this one.  The thing is, he only has 1 full year as a starter under his belt.  His first year, he only played 5 games.  There isn't a team in the league who'll give him a $60M AAV (or even $40M AAV), after 27 total games.  He needs to play this year.  Next year, that's a different story.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I'm certainly not saying I think Dak is worth $60M, I'm simply saying that's the number I've heard thrown around while listening to NFL Radio... and that's by the pundits and guests, not fans.

I think every team that has success is there because all the right pieces fit.  That said, just because I think that, and you apparently, it doesn't mean the players feel that way.  They have a much bigger ego, and I can understand why... they're there after all.   I think there are players that see the big picture, but I believe there's a larger group that think they're more important than they really are... or understand.

I think the 49ers are better served paying Aiyuk what he's worth now and spread out that bonus money to dilute it as much as they could.  Then, pay Deebo and Purdy next year.  Both Kittle and McCaffrey will be free agents after the 2025 season.  Kittle will be 32... McCaffrey 29.  It's best to address them leaving now, so that you can let them walk after the 2025 saeson, and keep both Deebo & Aiyuk.  The TE & RB positions are cheaper to replace than game changing WR's.  It's best to keep the ones you have and go fill in the gaps with the cheaper players.

I was never suggesting you thought Dak was worth 60M.  I just saw it as a market comparable.

I was mostly pointing out that the market is also crazy because I dont think Dak is worth 60M either.    but that seems to be where the market is for top 10 QB's.   I dont honestly know that ANY player should be worth this much.

either way, the team has a cap crunch coming.   drafting a WR to replace one of the departing ones may not be a bad idea.  and drafting a TE to replace an aging kittle in a year or so may also not be a bad idea.

but that's their problem not mine (thankfully)

He still has another year after this one.  The thing is, he only has 1 full year as a starter under his belt.  His first year, he only played 5 games.  There isn't a team in the league who'll give him a $60M AAV (or even $40M AAV), after 27 total games.  He needs to play this year.  Next year, that's a different story.

I disagree. He could get RGIII’d or Alex Smithed this year so he does need to make sure he gets something out of this whole thing. Even if it’s just a big bump for this year he can’t be playing for 1/2 mill or whatever it is.

And I do think he would command a big payday on the market. Certainly many many multitudes of what he is currently slated to make. Teams mortgage their whole next few years for a completely unproved draft pick — why not for a guy that was damn near league MVP last year??

2 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

I disagree. He could get RGIII’d or Alex Smithed this year so he does need to make sure he gets something out of this whole thing. Even if it’s just a big bump for this year he can’t be playing for 1/2 mill or whatever it is.

And I do think he would command a big payday on the market. Certainly many many multitudes of what he is currently slated to make. Teams mortgage their whole next few years for a completely unproved draft pick — why not for a guy that was damn near league MVP last year??

well, I dont fully agree.  

2 back to back good years proves the first good year wasnt a fluke.

if he was drafted high in the first round hed have a year and a bit of good production along with the pedigree as he performed at a super high level in college.

but he was the last pick of the NFL draft.   he needs to prove it a bit more if he wants to get top dollar.   Personally I think part of his value comes from the system and team he plays with.   outstanding weapons on offense and a good O line that keeps him from facing too much heat.

if he goes elsewhere the situation isnt nearly as good.   his best value as a player is where he is at.

another top notch season and hes getting top dollar from multiple offers.  it becomes the whole Kirk Cousins thing where his value just kept going up.  and he is definitely in the situation to make that happen.

screwing around with a holdout with 2 years left on his contract?  not a good idea.

11 hours ago, Ray_T said:
17 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I was never suggesting you thought Dak was worth 60M.  I just saw it as a market comparable.

On a side note, I don't think Jerrah likes Dak at 60 million. Dak is a compiler, a great regular season QB who's stats always look good, but he's not a winner. 

If Jerrah was going to resign Dak, the time would have been pre-free agency. 

11 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

I don't think he can get anything.  I believe that no player on a rookie contract can get any type of a new deal (money), until after 3 years.  I know that is the case with 1st round players... but I think it's global.  He has to play this year before he gets an extension.

Sure, there may be teams lining up to give him a big deal, after 27 games... but that big deal will come with a lot of conditions and team outs.  After 3 years, those conditions and outs go down to almost nothing.

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

don't think he can get anything.  I believe that no player on a rookie contract can get any type of a new deal (money), until after 3 years.  

You're probably correct but I thought since he's a 7th round pick he's not locked in like a first rounder would be. 

6 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

You're probably correct but I thought since he's a 7th round pick he's not locked in like a first rounder would be. 

I think it still applies because I believe Bucs fans were saying the same about Winfield after his second season, and I believe that's where I read that nothing can happen with his deal after after Year 3, and he was a 2nd round pick, which is why I think the rule is for any round.

I think that every rule for rookies applies globally, with the sole exception being that 1st round picks get a 5th year option (which needs to be picked up after Yr 3).

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't think he can get anything.  I believe that no player on a rookie contract can get any type of a new deal (money), until after 3 years.  I know that is the case with 1st round players... but I think it's global.  He has to play this year before he gets an extension.

Sure, there may be teams lining up to give him a big deal, after 27 games... but that big deal will come with a lot of conditions and team outs.  After 3 years, those conditions and outs go down to almost nothing.

pretty sure you are right.

the only difference between guys drafted in the first round and everyone else is that the guys drafted in the first round have the 5th year option

On 4/15/2024 at 10:04 AM, TBayXXXVII said:

Every QB is a system QB.  The reason they performed at that level to which they did, the system and the QB were a match. 

Sure, why not?  I wouldn't, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't.  Like I said, if the sentiment is that Dak is worth $60M, then Purdy has to be as well, since he's accomplished more.  If a guy is good enough, while I still think it's unwise to pay someone that kind of money, it'll still work itself out.  The only issues I have with QB salaries is when the QB is only so/so, and you pay him $30M when a draft pick or off-season pickup can be so/so and cost $10M.

Still sore about the Mayfield signing?:lol:  

1 hour ago, Showboat said:

Still sore about the Mayfield signing?:lol:  

While my post has nothing to do with Mayfield.... we're just wasting another season. :dunno:   Life as a Bucs fan.  The one saving grace is that they didn't do something stupid like a 4 yr/$160M deal.  They could walk away from him after this season with a $15M dead cap hit.  Not a terrible burden.

6 hours ago, Ray_T said:

the only difference between guys drafted in the first round and everyone else is that the guys drafted in the first round have the 5th year option

Ok, that's where I'm getting crossed up. I'd be pissed as a starting QB playing on that crap contract 😊 

While my post has nothing to do with Mayfield....

If you say so, but it seemed eerily similar to what your previous posts about it being a mistake to sign Mayfield for $30M when cheaper/similar talent options were out there.  

we're just wasting another season. :dunno:   Life as a Bucs fan.  The one saving grace is that they didn't do something stupid like a 4 yr/$160M deal.  They could walk away from him after this season with a $15M dead cap hit.  Not a terrible burden.

We'll see how it turns out, but I think the Bucs did the right thing - not breaking the bank for Cousins, and keeping Mayfield (who IMO is still young enough to have room for growth) on a relatively reasonable contract given the current QB market.  Cousins will probably get the Falcons to the playoffs and may even win the division, but you'll be glad he is not the Bucs QB when he does nothing to prevent an early playoff exit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Showboat said:

If you say so, but it seemed eerily similar to what your previous posts about it being a mistake to sign Mayfield for $30M when cheaper/similar talent options were out there.  

We'll see how it turns out, but I think the Bucs did the right thing - not breaking the bank for Cousins, and keeping Mayfield (who IMO is still young enough to have room for growth) on a relatively reasonable contract given the current QB market.  Cousins will probably get the Falcons to the playoffs and may even win the division, but you'll be glad he is not the Bucs QB when he does nothing to prevent an early playoff exit.

yeah, thats kind of how I feel about Cousins.

hes a regular season darling, but come playoff time..... he kinda stinks

Very good double digit round target 

15 hours ago, Showboat said:

Oh, that part, LOL.  Yeah, I was thinking more about the Dak & Purdy stuff.  Yeah, the dude (Mayfield), he sucks.  They screwed up and we're throwing away a year.  They didn't need Cousins.  The Bucs are pizzing away $50M (guaranteed money), on Mayfield these next 2 years when they could've used that money to bolster the interior OL.  They need at least 1 G and a C and now have to look to rookies, which makes NO SENSE, when they could've gotten solid & experienced guys in free agency and drafted a QB (Penix or Nix could be there [or trade up a bit]), and get the same similar mediocre performance that you get from Mayfield.  Mayfield is maxed out.  He's maxed out at being a mediocre to below average QB in the league.  That can be replaced in the draft.

I'd rather have a QB that I know I'll have a competitive team that could win, but losses (like 13 other teams in the playoffs), then a QB who I know the season is over before it started.