10 replies to this topic

#1 edjr

edjr

FF Geek

• Members
  • 121,656 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:07 PM

https://www.yahoo.co...topstories.html

The family of a 12-year-old who committed suicide has filed a lawsuit against the young girl's school district, claiming it failed to protect her from months of intense bullying.

Mallory Grossman, a sixth-grader at Copeland Middle School in Rockaway, New Jersey, killed herself on June 14, 2017, following months of “ongoing and systematic bullying” that her family says caused her to suffer at school, according to a lawsuit filed on Tuesday.

Her parents, Dianne and Seth Grossman, filed a wrongful death suit against the Rockaway Township Board of Education and its staff, citing at least 14 bullying incidents they say drove her to kill herself.

One incident involved messages where the bullies allegedly asked her "when are you going to kill yourself?" according to suit. The Grossmans said they could provide evidence to prove that the school system could have prevented the alleged attacks.

The suit did not name any particular teachers, but it said staff at Copeland had failed to provide a safe and secure environment for students. They called on the school to change how it handles physical and online bullying.

The parents said they addressed the alleged bullying in a meeting with Mallory and officials at Copeland just before her death, saying their daughter was "suffering at the school," but nothing changed, according to the suit.

Dianne Grossman said the bullies still haven't been punished.

"We know that the poor behavior and poor decisions these kids make has not changed," she told New York ABC station WABC. "They do not believe ultimately that they are responsible for it."

"Our family is forever changed because they chose not to put systems in place, they chose not to protect her, so I want other school systems to learn from this and to start making immediate changes within their buildings," she added.

Rockaway's Board of Education has previously called the Grossmans' allegations "categorically false," but declined to elaborate Tuesday, citing an ongoing investigation, according to local news site NJ.com.

never the parents or families fault for raising a sensitive snowflake. NOPE! Has to be someone else's fault. Liberal mantra :cry:

#2 Strike

Strike

FF Geek

• Members
  • 28,325 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:11 PM

One incident involved messages where the bullies allegedly asked her "when are you going to kill yourself?" according to suit.

If posting messages asking when someone is going to kill themselves were an effective bullying strategy, the geek club would be an empty place and Mike would owe our families a lot of money.

2008 Geek Bored Football Pick'em Champion

#3 titans&bucs&bearsohmy!

titans&bucs&bearsohmy!

FF Geek

• Members
  • 26,171 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:05 PM

If they could prove the school district could have stopped it, why the fock didnt THEY stop it?

Move. Put the kid in private school. Homeschool.

How many times did they go up there and complain?

#4 wiffleball

wiffleball

FF Geek

• Members
  • 68,812 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:09 PM

That's just absolutely not right.

Did you see that?

Diane and Seth? What the ######? Everybody knows it's the man's name that goes first.
Users currently on :ignore: BudBro,Flahawker

#5 naomi

naomi

FF Geek

• Members
  • 13,295 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:13 PM

Yeah, they needed to get her in an environment with fewer (and probably different kids, others who get overwhelmed in the average public school setting). She looks like a very sweet girl, must have been terribly sensitive. There's a type of sensitive that is not snowflake-ey ness/self-centeredness. They tend to be very (too) empathetic in general.

#6 wiffleball

wiffleball

FF Geek

• Members
  • 68,812 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:17 PM

I'm not trying to be naive here, but why don't the parents just make her go dark when she's at home?

I mean, that's what all the Kardashian girls have done.
Users currently on :ignore: BudBro,Flahawker

#7 TimmySmith

TimmySmith

FF Geek

• Members
  • 16,588 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 04:26 AM

Sue the school? No. Sue the bullies? Why not.

“We’ve fulfilled far more promises than we’ve promised,” the president said. “I call it promises plus.”

#8 Patriotsfatboy1

Patriotsfatboy1

FF Geek

• Members
  • 37,537 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 04:38 AM

Sue the school? No. Sue the bullies? Why not.

#1 rule with lawsuits - sue the jeans with the most greens ($)
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

#9 fricker66

fricker66

FF Geek

• Members
  • 21,216 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 08:56 AM

There are 13 reasons why the school is at fault.

#10 TimmySmith

TimmySmith

FF Geek

• Members
  • 16,588 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:04 AM

#1 rule with lawsuits - sue the jeans with the most greens ($)

True, if what you are after is money.  I'd rather see some parent raising a serial arsehole be bankrupted.

“We’ve fulfilled far more promises than we’ve promised,” the president said. “I call it promises plus.”

#11 Cloaca du jour

Cloaca du jour

FF Geek

• Members
  • 5,297 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 12:05 PM

There are 13 reasons why the school is at fault.

I see what you did there...