Sign in to follow this  
kilroy69

The agile methodology.

I focking hate it.not everyone needs to be agile. Tech writers? Why? You afraid they are gonna get off track and write a medical journal?

I tend to agree. My wife is a tech writer, and they use the standard CMMI template, that aligns more closely with the waterfall method. For something like tech writing, nothing is really going to change after the requirements are laid out by the customer. They don't need to interact that closely, as they're really only interested in the finished product.

While with Agile/scrum in Software Development, the customer gets all of the advantages of the shorter iterations (demos, reprioritization of different features based on evolving business needs, flexibility, etc). And the development teams benefit from working on smaller features and getting feedback, instead of working an entire project to completion, only to find out the customer doesn't like it, or run into a requirement change that would entirely scrap a ton of work that was done months prior. It makes much more sense to use Agile in that scenario.

I work at the end of the pipeline in "deployment". Specifically, I do something called "DevOps" (automation, TFS management, cloud management, performance testing, etc.). We work with teams using both methodologies.

I worked for a small company that was a big fan of Agile. So big in fact that they mandated that we run our sales group that way. So we would determine our priorities for the week, then the next day a customer had an emergency or a new opportunity arose, and we shiotcanned our plans. Just too much dynamics in the field. I searched the interwebs at the time (this was 7 years ago) and could not find a single link for Agile in sales. Perhaps by now they've figured it out? :dunno:

For software development I can understand the need for the agile methodology. It's just annoying to see customers think that tech writers are going to get agile certified. It cuts out a lot of good people

I'm not familiar with this, I assume it's just the latest project management buzzword?

I do have my PMP certification, which was a complete waste of time, but what the hell it was free

I'm not familiar with this, I assume it's just the latest project management buzzword?

I do have my PMP certification, which was a complete waste of time, but what the hell it was free

agile basically means you meet frequently to discuss how the process is going and if things need to be changed. Allowing teams to waste less time if something needs to be modified. That being said. That's not useful for everyone. Some people's job is static. You hire a tech writer to write a tech manual and you give them a product about anything and for 70 bucks an hour they should be able to describe in detail what the fock it does to my 90 year old grandma.

How can you be in project management and not have heard of Agile; it has been around for at least a decade. :dunno:

How can you be in project management and not have heard of Agile; it has been around for at least a decade. :dunno:

I'm not in project management, I just took a class and a test, they didn't mention it. My main job is still just in sales.

Sounds like every other bull that some consultant came up with.

LEAN

For manufacturing and general business, Lean used to be called agile. Once the name changed, software development took on the agile name. Both have their places, but people tend to go overboard or misinterpret intent.

I'm not in project management, I just took a class and a test, they didn't mention it. My main job is still just in sales.

Sounds like every other bull that some consultant came up with.

The project I am working on is supposedly using agile, but they use less agile practices than the last project I worked on and we did not call it agile.

I am with you, I think it is an over used buzz word.