Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Troy: Fall of a City on netflix

Just got home and saw this on Netflix. Wife and I decide to watch it tonight. So far pretty dam good. Reminds me a little of Spartacus

Is this like a drama or a documentary?

Drama. You...you know the story of Achilles and Helen of Troy and Homers the Iliad and odyssey stuff is a work of fiction right?

Drama. You...you know the story of Achilles and Helen of Troy and Homers the Iliad and odyssey stuff is a work of fiction right?

Of course. But there have been documentaries made of the actual fall of the historical Troy. Archaeology and all.

I would prefer the drama. Will check this out.

Of course. But there have been documentaries made of the actual fall of the historical Troy. Archaeology and all.

I would prefer the drama. Will check this out.

Just making sure. If someone were not that into the subject I could see thinking it was real aside from the magic brad Pitt stuff obviously. Then again...people believe in far, far more ridiculous and magical things than that so maybe not. But yea I saw the ad and would check it out, I like Greek mythology.

Just making sure. If someone were not that into the subject I could see thinking it was real aside from the magic brad Pitt stuff obviously. Then again...people believe in far, far more ridiculous and magical things than that so maybe not. But yea I saw the ad and would check it out, I like Greek mythology.

Me too. Ive aways been a fan of mythology. Had some books as a child that hooked me. Greek, Norse, Egyptian, all fun.

Is this like a drama or a documentary?

Drama. Like I said it reminds of youcthe style of Spartacus, Vikings, or the series Rome.

Drama. Like I said it reminds of youcthe style of Spartacus, Vikings, or the series Rome.

Fock yeah. Most of my shows are on hiatus. Im a sucker for a historical or fantasy drama.

Got, black sails, Vikings, Medicci Masters of Florence, pesky blinders... thems my cup of tea.

So Ill binge watch this in a couple of days and it can go in the queue of waiting for another season or maybe cancelled.

So Im two episodes in.

So... Achilles and Zeus are black? Wtf? Lots of diversity in Ancient Greece apparently. Even among the gods.

Oddly, Zeus is leave fingerprints on charcoal black. However is sister and wife Hera is absolutely white, as is his daughter Athena.

Ridiculous. Would be like casting an albino as kunta kinte in a remake of roots.

So Im two episodes in.

So... Achilles and Zeus are black? Wtf? Lots of diversity in Ancient Greece apparently. Even among the gods.

Oddly, Zeus is leave fingerprints on charcoal black. However is sister and wife Hera is absolutely white, as is his daughter Athena.

Ridiculous. Would be like casting an albino as kunta kinte in a remake of roots.

I was going to check it out, not now . Thanks for the heads up.

So Im two episodes in.

I will have to see this for myself. I doubt it matters much though. I'm sure the white actors aren't actually Greek

I was going to check it out, not now . Thanks for the heads up.

Lol you showed them. Thatll teachem.

Lol you showed them. Thatll teachem.

Not teaching anybody anything. Just chosing not to be annoyed.

Lot of gratuitous nudity or what?

Asking the real question

Asking the real question

A fair amount, but no where near Spartacus levels.

I started watching the 1st episode. It seems pretty weak. I will give it one or two more

Yeah, Im not real impressed either. Its a story I already know well that was done better by the brad Pitt version.

Yeah, Im not real impressed either. Its a story I already know well that was done better by the brad Pitt version.

Such an epic movie. I can always watch it and be entertained.

I started watching the 1st episode. It seems pretty weak. I will give it one or two more

So like Black Panther? Over hyped and pushing an agenda?

Who just got hired by Netflix as well?

This was actually made by the BBC. I guess Netflix bought broadcast rights or something.

More subliminal messaging? :Mr-T:

:lol:

Its pretty jarring to me. I dont give a fock what color people they cast in some random ass drama set in present day America. I dont even give a crap if they recast a role that used to be a white guy as something else, like perfect strangers.

But something set in a certain historical and geographical period where people have long standing notions of what they look like? Leave it alone. And damn, if your going to make one character black, their focking siblings and children cant be focking white. Thats just basic focking biology.

The actor that plays Zeus is the guy who plays Mr. Scott on Black Sails. Has the same sorta carribean accent. I thing hes a very good actor, and like him in his role on black sails, but as focking Zeus the thunder god of Olympus, its a fail.

Achilles looks like a focking NFL Linebacker. Havent really heard him speak much.

Anneas is also black. This of course, would be the guy who ultimately flees Troy, founds rome, and is the founder of the Julian house, of which Julius Caesar one day is born too. Hes black and has a fro almost, but his mother, the goddes Aphrodite, is a pale white redhead, and his first cousin Priam, king of Troy, also white.

Its just dumb.

• Like 1

:lol:

Its pretty jarring to me. I dont give a fock what color people they cast in some random ass drama set in present day America. I dont even give a crap if they recast a role that used to be a white guy as something else, like perfect strangers.

But something set in a certain historical and geographical period where people have long standing notions of what they look like? Leave it alone. And damn, if your going to make one character black, their focking siblings and children cant be focking white. Thats just basic focking biology.

The actor that plays Zeus is the guy who plays Mr. Scott on Black Sails. Has the same sorta carribean accent. I thing hes a very good actor, and like him in his role on black sails, but as focking Zeus the thunder god of Olympus, its a fail.

Achilles looks like a focking NFL Linebacker. Havent really heard him speak much.

Anneas is also black. This of course, would be the guy who ultimately flees Troy, founds rome, and is the founder of the Julian house, of which Julius Caesar one day is born too.

Its just dumb.

Well put.

Remember a few months ago there was complaining about Dunkirk not having cast any blacks? Maybe they should have had Cedric play Churchill or something.

Well put.

Remember a few months ago there was complaining about Dunkirk not having cast any blacks? Maybe they should have had Cedric play Churchill or something.

There probably were some minorities at Dunkirk, as both the British and French liked to use colored folk from the colonies as cannon fodder in their armies. More Indians for the British though, although both had extensive African holdings. There were lots of Africans fighting in WWI I know.

I would like to see someone re do roots, but set it in Ancient Rome or ancient Britain, or one of the many places that used white slaves, and make all the slaves white. Just to watch the focking meltdowns.

There probably were some minorities at Dunkirk, as both the British and French liked to use colored folk from the colonies as cannon fodder in their armies. More Indians for the British though, although both had extensive African holdings. There were lots of Africans fighting in WWI I know.

I would like to see someone re do roots, but set it in Ancient Rome or ancient Britain, or one of the many places that used white slaves, and make all the slaves white. Just to watch the focking meltdowns.

We all had the horrors of the middle passage taught to us growing up, and it's been dramaticized frequently, but ask most Americans what a coffin ship was, which had double the mortality rate, and you'll get no answer. Only black lives matter.

I haven't seen that. The acting is poor so far. The story has holes in it already. The sequence of events is pretty choppy. Zeus was a pretty weak character to start. I highly doubt it's going to be good. But some shows take a bit, so who knows

Didn't see the movie but I remember reading Roland from Stephen King novel / movie The Dark Tower was a black. And that's just stupid.

• Like 1

They're just trying too hard now. It's cool to have black lead characters and all that, but no need to be lazy and uninspired. These writers seem to think that doing that is all they have to do. Write a good, original part for a black guy and people will enjoy it. Like The Wire.

They're just trying too hard now. It's cool to have black lead characters and all that, but no need to be lazy and uninspired. These writers seem to think that doing that is all they have to do. Write a good, original part for a black guy and people will enjoy it. Like The Wire.

Holy Fvck. As I was reading this and agreeing I said to myself like Omar - then I see the bolded part. And of course so many more characters then Omar on The Wire. Shhhhiiiiiiiieeeet

Not only did they cast a black dude as Achilles, but on top of that they made him bi. Guess they needed to toss in a three way with two black guys and a white woman to cover all the bases.

Not only did they cast a black dude as Achilles, but on top of that they made him bi. Guess they needed to toss in a three way with two black guys and a white woman to cover all the bases.

Thats at least accurate probably. They dont call anal greek style for nothing. Hell, Zeus even had a little boy on the side.