Sign in to follow this  
TheNewGirl

One of the things bothering me about the election cr@p

Don't talk politics with real friends or family. Do it here.

It's what I do.

This. :thumbsup:

I mentioned my MIL having a meltdown and several friends utterly losing it on Facebook. I think people get upset in every election cycle but this one has been worse because:

1. A lot of middle aged or older women were heavily invested in a woman becoming president and it's even worse because a candidate they perceive to be a misogynist won instead.

2. Most Hillary supporters like the media fully expected her to win easily so they didn't prepare themselves for the possibility that she would lose and didn't know how to deal with the disappointment.

3. Trump has been an especially unusual / alarming candidate for some people.

To #3, I think a lot of the reaction to Trump has been pretty overblown but I also think his own demeanor and the things he's said have made him more disturbing for a lot of people than a mainstream Republican candidate would have been. You just don't get presidential candidates walking around saying outrageous sexist and bigoted stuff every day of the week.

TNG's friend will get over it.

1. Seriously, perceived. :lol:

2. ok

3. Stephen K. Bannon, 'nuff said.

2. ok

I try not to use labels. The geek club hate that. :mellow:

Don't talk politics or religion with real friends or family. Do it here.

It's what I do.

Pretty much.

2. ok

Keith Ellison. Im ascared too.

I try not to use labels. The geek club hate that. :mellow:

Unless you're taking about liberals. Then feel free to use libtard, mental disorder, snowflake, moonbat, fruitcake, safe spacer, or insinuate that they possess female genitalia.

OK, We'll take the niggas and the Chinese. But we don't want the Irish!!

Unless you're taking about liberals. Then feel free to use libtard, mental disorder, snowflake, moonbat, fruitcake, safe spacer, or insinuate that they possess female genitalia.

My favorite is when one of them accuses "libturds" of labeling. Instant hypocrisy: bang.

On 11/16/2016 at 12:23 PM, TheNewGirl said:

I have a friend that I've known for more than 30 years.

For MONTHS she was very vocal about being compassionate, being kind, understanding those around you. She was a HUGE Bernie supporter, went to his local rallies and all of that stuff.

Well, her Bernie support transferred to Hillary.

She and her husband are both self employed. Four children. Oldest is 19 and in college, youngest is 3. One of the middle children is special needs; has Downs Syndrome.

Hillary lost.

She has been severely depressed ever since. What is she going to tell her children knowing that friends and family members voted for Trump just to "save a few extra tax dollars?" What is she going to do when she loses her healthcare when Trump gets rid of the ACA? She's lived without healthcare before and now her daughter might have to drop out of college (because Hillary/Obama were saying something about offering free college).

I've reached out a few times, only to be told that I have "no idea what she's going through right now." I am not self employed, I work for a large company and so does my husband. I have healthcare, I don't have a special needs child. How "dare" I try and understand what she's going through. My response was that of course I have no idea, and I don't pretend to know. I am her friend. I understand that she's hurting.

This happened last Thursday. She wished my HBD on Friday, came to my party Saturday night. Ever since then, it's back to the silent treatment. I get that she's grieving I get that she's having a tough time and needs to potentally figure things out.

My question is...where is the compassion that these types of people preached about three months ago? Where is the kindness? Where is the "we are stronger together?"

I can't talk to her at ALL about ANYTHING, and I certainly can't complain about nay hardships that I might have - because it's just not "good enough" compared to what she's going to go through next year when he's sworn in.

I hate thinking that a presidency has effected and rooned a 30 year friendship.

Update?

Oh she's still freaking out.....BUT...due to other circumstances in her life, had to get a job and is no longer self employed. She does have a regular paycheck and healthcare, so a few things have improved. 

However, she is realizing that working full time and having three kids isn't easy and she doesn't have as much "free" time as she did before. So she's dealing with depression now and trying to cram everything in. Her husband is still self employed and "has been looking" for a few months. His expectations on a job are much higher than hers. 

But she still talks about hating Trump, how there is so much misery and sufferng in the world, etc. 

3 minutes ago, TheNewGirl said:

Oh she's still freaking out.....BUT...due to other circumstances in her life, had to get a job and is no longer self employed. She does have a regular paycheck and healthcare, so a few things have improved. 

However, she is realizing that working full time and having three kids isn't easy and she doesn't have as much "free" time as she did before. So she's dealing with depression now and trying to cram everything in. Her husband is still self employed and "has been looking" for a few months. His expectations on a job are much higher than hers. 

But she still talks about hating Trump, how there is so much misery and sufferng in the world, etc. 

Sounds like she has depression and needs some outlet, any outlet, to blame. :dunno:

I would agree with you on that.