Sign in to follow this  
MTSkiBum

Acura MDX - Any opinions?

I am looking for a vehicle in the 15,000-20,000 dollar price range.

Requirements:

4WD/AWD

5,000 pound towing capacity(My boat is right around 4,300 pounds fully loaded)

Good reliability

I have been mainly looking at Toyota 4runners, but it seems like an Acura MDX is 5,000 dollars cheaper for an equivalent vehicle. I do not need a truck frame or clearance that the 4runner provides. The 4wd/AWD is for driving on the beach.

The 2008 Acura MDX has good powertrain reliability, and a 5,000 pound towing capacity.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Acura_MDX/2008/Reliability/

17,000 dollars can get me a 2008 Acura MDX with 60,000 miles

or

17,000 dollars can get me a 2005 Toyota 4runner with 90,000 miles

or

any other recommendations?

Dank?

2G MDX is great, pretty bulletproof car. no real service until 100k. I've read some of the TLs with the 3.7L engine have some oil consumption, but not sure about MDX owners having similar complaints.

I'd definitely consider it, definitely your better option of the two. Does it have the tech package?

4300 is not far from 5000. If you are driving on sand the effective weight of the boat will be much more. Just saying. :dunno:

4300 is not far from 5000. If you are driving on sand the effective weight of the boat will be much more. Just saying. :dunno:

Sorry, my fault, I do not tow the boat on sand.

4300 pounds is when the 70 gallon gas tank is full, the livewell is full, ice in the cooler, etc.

I would estimate the average weight is closer to 3700 pounds.

How often are you going to be towing the boat with it? If that's it's main use, you'll want something rated above 5,000lbs. A good guideline is to aim for about 2,000lbs higher rating than 'needed' if it's going to be a tow vehicle, to prevent wear and tear.

Sounds like a daily driver with occasional towing, so the Acura would be a solid choice.

How often are you going to be towing the boat with it? If that's it's main use, you'll want something rated above 5,000lbs. A good guideline is to aim for about 2,000lbs higher rating than 'needed' if it's going to be a tow vehicle, to prevent wear and tear.

Sounds like a daily driver with occasional towing, so the Acura would be a solid choice.

The boat ramp is 120 miles round trip from my house. So around 1,000-2,000 miles a year on average towing.

2G MDX is great, pretty bulletproof car. no real service until 100k. I've read some of the TLs with the 3.7L engine have some oil consumption, but not sure about MDX owners having similar complaints.

I'd definitely consider it, definitely your better option of the two. Does it have the tech package?

I am going to test drive a few this next weekend, there is one with the tech package. Do you think it is worth it?

Don't you mean 3.2. or 3.5 engines? :P

Also, sorry I've been such a flake on this Ski.

Not sure about the towing aspect, but I do agree with Dank as far as a pretty much bulletproof car.

Also, could I suggest a 2006-2008 Toyota Tacoma to you? 4.0 liter 6 cyl that is beyond bullet proof.

Also, could I suggest a 2006-2008 Toyota Tacoma to you? 4.0 liter 6 cyl that is beyond bullet proof.

Tacoma is a great vehicle and I would like to have one, but the problem is they are expensive. In addition there are not many 4 wheel drive Tacoma's in Houston, and many of the 4x4 tacoma's are only 2 door or suicide door models which won't work.

There are a total of 2 on edmunds or autotrader that come close to my criteria:

A 2007 with 95,000 miles for 23,000 dollars or a 2009 with 150,000 miles for 17,000 dollars

http://www.edmunds.com/inventory/used/vin.html?vin=5TEMU52N57Z352982&zip=77478&radius=50&year=2007&make=Toyota&model=Tacoma&sub=Tacoma%20Double%20Cab&invtype=USED&defaultType=&mode=

http://www.edmunds.com/inventory/used/vin.html?vin=3TMLU42N19M021032&zip=77478&radius=50&year=2009&make=Toyota&model=Tacoma&sub=Tacoma%20Double%20Cab&invtype=USED&defaultType=&mode=

An Acura MDX is cheap by comparison

A 2008 with 66,000 miles for 18,000

http://www.hondaofspring.com/detail-2008-acura-mdx-4wd_4dr-used-12998727.html

I am going to test drive a few this next weekend, there is one with the tech package. Do you think it is worth it?

Short answer: yes

Better leather, ELS audio, and a bunch of other good stuff. I would always advise getting the tech package with any acura.

Are they super expensive to fix? Something you always want to ask yourself with the "luxury" brands

Don't you mean 3.2. or 3.5 engines? :P

Also, sorry I've been such a flake on this Ski.

Not sure about the towing aspect, but I do agree with Dank as far as a pretty much bulletproof car.

3.2 was in the first generation MDX (until 2006) and the TL (until 2008.)

3.5 is in the base FWD TL (09+) and base MDX (07+)

SHAWD models have the J37. (Both TL &MDX)

The new ones (14+) have gone back to a 3.5 with direct injection. Not sure if it is due to efficiency or oil consumption issues with the 3.7. Although the 3.7 is ultimately the exact same engine just with the cylinders bored out to increase displacement

• Like 1

Are they super expensive to fix? Something you always want to ask yourself with the "luxury" brands

No, engine and drivetrain are sourced from the Honda accord and they basically use the same combos all across their produce lines. Electronics aren't German, never had an issue. Just typical maintenance. Timing belt at 100k etc

Seems a little fancy for what I know about your standards. There isn't a cheaper American or non-luxury SUV that fits the bill?

The Chevy Tahoe is more expensive. For the same price as an Acura MDX I would be getting a vehicle 2-3 years older with 20,000 more miles.

Ford Explorer would be slightly cheaper, but many Explorer's in Houston do not have a towing package, and an explorer without a towing package only has a tow weight of 3,500 pounds. It costs around 2,000 dollars to upgrade an Explorer to meet my needs. This makes the explorer more expensive than a similar Acura.

The Jeep Cherokee would be cheaper, but I do not trust their reliability.

I am still holding out on finding a good 4runner, but it doesn't seem likely.

The Chevy Tahoe is more expensive. For the same price as an Acura MDX I would be getting a vehicle 2-3 years older with 20,000 more miles.

Ford Explorer would be slightly cheaper, but many Explorer's in Houston do not have a towing package, and an explorer without a towing package the Explorer only has a tow weight of 3,500 pounds. It costs around 2,000 dollars to upgrade an Explorer to meet my needs. This makes the explorer more expensive than a similar Acura.

The Jeep Cherokee would be cheaper, but I do not trust their reliability.

I am still holding out on finding a good 4runner, but it doesn't seem likely.

I'm surprised a used MDX is so cheap. My wife will need to replace her Suburban soon and will downsize, I'll look for these.

Seems a little fancy for what I know about your standards. There isn't a cheaper American or non-luxury SUV that fits the bill?

Dude, everyone doesn't go thru life like you with their ass slammed so tight it would be impossible to drive a needle up it with a sledghammer.

Sometimes people make decisions on things other than how it affects the bottom line, or the future of mother Erf. :doh:

PM me the year/make/model/VIN ,with extras, and I'll NADA the cost evaluation for you. :cheers:

Dude, everyone doesn't go thru life like you with their ass slammed so tight it would be impossible to drive a needle up it with a sledghammer.

Sometimes people make decisions on things other than how it affects the bottom line, or the future of mother Erf. :doh:

MTSkiBum has posted numerous times about how frugal he is. HTH

Yes. Most of the American SUV's are cheaper. By cheaper, I mean the quality.

You get what you pay for.

3.2 was in the first generation MDX (until 2006) and the TL (until 2008.)

3.5 is in the base FWD TL (09+) and base MDX (07+)

SHAWD models have the J37. (Both TL &MDX)

The new ones (14+) have gone back to a 3.5 with direct injection. Not sure if it is due to efficiency or oil consumption issues with the 3.7. Although the 3.7 is ultimately the exact same engine just with the cylinders bored out to increase displacement

Huh. I'm sure I've ran across the 3.7s but for the life of me, I don't remember.

Also, If I was payed on flat rate, I'd love to do the timing belts on the 3.5s all day long. Pays like 5.5 hours or something and I could do 3 in a 8 hour day. (assuming everything went ok)

Great engines and well thought out for ease of access when repairing. :thumbsup:

You haven't been paying close enough attention; SkiBum is a lot more uptight with money than I. I've given him a hard time about fixating on saving $ in the past.

But you probably wouldn't know that, as you joined fairly recently, right? :rolleyes:

Not sure how you got the impression I'm some sort of rabid environmentalist either.

I pull trailers alot. From utility trailers to a 40' fithwheel. One thing I have learned is to have much much more towing capacity than the weight of the trailer. Especaily if there are any large hills to traverse. I fried a transmition on a Ford Explorer by just pulling a pull a little pop-up camper. I'd recomned at least a full sized PU with a towing package even for just your boat. The breaks and suspention would be fine on the Acura but I'd be worried about the tranny. 2cents

• Like 1

I'm surprised a used MDX is so cheap. My wife will need to replace her Suburban soon and will downsize, I'll look for these.

I'm going to buy a 2-3 year old MDX in a couple years when its time to retire my wife's ford escape, and hopefully will have another kid requiring even more hauling capacity. They are really great SUV's... nice interior, tech is easy to use, rides like a sedan. I had one while my car was being serviced and i was really impressed. Easy to understand why my suburban town is inundated with them. Much better value than a BMW X5, or an Audi Q5/7.

The Infiniti JX35 is also a nice option, no idea on towing, but for what Jerry might like its worth comparing and test driving.

I pull trailers alot. From utility trailers to a 40' fithwheel. One thing I have learned is to have much much more towing capacity than the weight of the trailer. Especaily if there are any large hills to traverse. I fried a transmition on a Ford Explorer by just pulling a pull a little pop-up camper. I'd recomned at least a full sized PU with a towing package even for just your boat. The breaks and suspention would be fine on the Acura but I'd be worried about the tranny. 2cents

We used to tow a boat that was at the absolute size limit to go on the street. Had a '98 JGC with the 5.9 Dodge Ram engine in it, and we learned that even the positioning of the boat on the trailer makes an enormous difference on the stress of the truck towing it.

Huh. I'm sure I've ran across the 3.7s but for the life of me, I don't remember.

Also, If I was payed on flat rate, I'd love to do the timing belts on the 3.5s all day long. Pays like 5.5 hours or something and I could do 3 in a 8 hour day. (assuming everything went ok)

Great engines and well thought out for ease of access when repairing. :thumbsup:

I decided to replace my engine air filter, kid was screaming in the house, wife was pressuring me to get everything done quick, and those little screws strip so easily that I used a socket wrench to untighten them. I should have hand tightened with the screwdriver but i was rushing and overtorqued a screw and snapped it. So my airbox only has 3 screws in... Everything seems fine and i've driven with it for a couple weeks, but i need to get it fixed for peace of mind.

I decided to replace my engine air filter, kid was screaming in the house, wife was pressuring me to get everything done quick, and those little screws strip so easily that I used a socket wrench to untighten them. I should have hand tightened with the screwdriver but i was rushing and overtorqued a screw and snapped it. So my airbox only has 3 screws in... Everything seems fine and i've driven with it for a couple weeks, but i need to get it fixed for peace of mind.

http://www.sears.com/search=screw%20extractor

:thumbsup:

The Acura MDX comes standard with a transmission cooler.

Also from my research the explorer is not a good towing vehicle. Even with a transmission cooler the shift points are all wrong.

Like penultimate said, I am cheap. This vehicle is going to be my wife's daily driver and the I am going to use her old Honda Civic as my daily driver. She drives less than 5000 miles a year and I drive over 12,000. We will save a lot on gas money.

She does not want a suburban, escalade, sequoia, or similar sized vehicle.

This leaves me limited to tahoe, 4runner, gx470, MDX, xterra, explorer, durango, or Cayenne/Toureg.

The cayenne has the largest towing capacity at 7000 pounds, and is very reasonable priced. I could get a used 2006 with 70,000 miles for 17,000. But i would worry about the reliability and repair costs.

My brother went from an X5 to the MDX and loves it. They use it for a daily driver. No towing, so I have no input on that. My only concern on towing would be the short wheel base.i have a buddy who pills a ski boat with an I/O with a Range Rover. He says it gets squirrelly on the highway due to the short wheel base. I have no idea how close he is to max tow weight.

Stay away from VWs. They sukk on maintenance and maint costs.

My brother went from an X5 to the MDX and loves it. They use it for a daily driver. No towing, so I have no input on that. My only concern on towing would be the short wheel base.i have a buddy who pills a ski boat with an I/O with a Range Rover. He says it gets squirrelly on the highway due to the short wheel base. I have no idea how close he is to max tow weight.

Stay away from VWs. They sukk on maintenance and maint costs.

Truer words have never been spoken. :thumbsup:

Lemme guess...your daughter or wife talked you into buying her a Jetta or Passat and you had to foot the bill to the shop that had to fix it every other month or so, right?

Truer words have never been spoken. :thumbsup:

Lemme guess...your daughter or wife talked you into buying her a Jetta or Passat and you had to foot the bill to the shop that had to fix it every other month or so, right?

Close.

The youngest liked the Bug convertible. Nixed that after doing some research and talking to some car guys I know.

Instead went with a MB SLK 320. So far we have had no issues and she is cute as a button driving it. I got them to throw in an extended warranty....unlimited miles for 4 years, so all the big $$$ items are pretty much covered. (learned the hard way on my 740iL)

Have you also looked at Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlanders? Both are in the same "class" as the MDX regarding they have 4WD / AWD options and towing packages around the same 4500 to 5000 lb limit. All with great reliablity. But I would think would be slightly less expensive. You could get a 2010 Pilot/Highlander for the same price as a 2008 MDX for example.

Just a thought. :dunno:

Have you also looked at Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlanders? Both are in the same "class" as the MDX regarding they have 4WD / AWD options and towing packages around the same 4500 to 5000 lb limit. All with great reliablity. But I would think would be slightly less expensive. You could get a 2010 Pilot/Highlander for the same price as a 2008 MDX for example.

Just a thought. :dunno:

From my understanding Honda Pilots are not very reliable. As far as Toyota Highlander, that is a good idea. I did not consider them.

As per your recommendation I just did some research into the highlander. They do look to be slightly more expensive than an equivalent MDX, but the real problem looks to be scarcity. I just looked on autotrader and edmunds and there is only 1 Highlander with under 80,000 miles that has 4 wheel drive, a v6, and the towing package, and it is a 2009 that is listed for 22,000.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=77478&endYear=2016&driveCodes=AWD4WD&engineCode=6CLDR&maxPrice=22000&showcaseListingId=389483831&mmt=%5BTOYOTA%5BHIGHLANDER%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&modelCode1=HIGHLANDER&driveCode=AWD4WD&showcaseOwnerId=42572558&makeCode1=TOYOTA&startYear=1981&engineCodes=6CLDR&maxMileage=100000&searchRadius=25&listingId=386215208&Log=0

The towing package would be essential on the highlander because it includes heavy duty radiator and a transmission cooler. It is not just a hitch.

An Acura MDX that is the same year, but with 10,000 less miles is 3,000 dollars cheaper. I would need to get a hitch/wiring, but that would less than 500 dollars.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=77478&endYear=2010&vehicleStyleCodes=SUVCROSS&modelCode1=MDX&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=2009&makeCode1=ACURA&maxMileage=100000&searchRadius=50&maxPrice=20000&showcaseListingId=0&mmt=%5BACURA%5BMDX%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=390571253&Log=0

I do appreciate the suggestion. I did not think to even consider a highlander.