Sign in to follow this  
Theyhateme459

Game Day Ritual Next Generation of Fantasy Footbal

Ahhh...too late :first:

I don't wanna be a scab GM, but if someone can't make it for any reason, please sign me up for your league.

Sounds really hard-core.

<<secretey hoping for scheduling conflict>>

Ahhh...too late :(

I don't wanna be a scab GM, but if someone can't make it for any reason, please sign me up for your league.

Sounds really hard-core.

Your #1 on the waiting list now. :(

We have to man an entire 45 man roster or something close, right? So we will be bidding on, placing people in the gunner positions on special teams and so on.

Hard to justify spending almost 20% of your salary on just one guy ($100 million salary cap? - I think I read that somewhere). You will be seriously depleated in some other areas

Anyway, I'm excited about the simulation.

One question - most teams have either One Stud they depend on or they do RBBC which naturally deflated the stats of all players on board

Is it not "realistically" better to invest in one main RB and then not spend much on a second - unlike many Fantasy Teams who will take Ahman Green and Kevin Jones (as an example) and start both - if Both were on the same real life team,

Either:

One would produce full points

-or-

Both would produce as RBBC-esque levels.

I am very curious how the game handles this Fantasy vs Real World incongruous relationship.

Guest rotochamp1

you should visit the site and read the user guide. It explains alot about how you set your playbook, and what formations you use dictates how much weight goes to different positions. Also I believe you get to set how often you use your backups.

My guess is that they will do something to encourage the use of the backup RB. In the baseball product you have the option of using a 4 man pitching rotation, but you are penalized by a fatigue factor as the season goes on. I would think a similar mechanism would be in place for overusing your primary RB.

I am just guessing on that issue though.

In the meantime, we are taking a survey that we will be posting in the site as part of an article that discusses who will garner the top contracts under the gamedayritual structure.

I will kick it off here with a few of my own picks and please chime in (really looking for insight and fodder for the article here!). Your own lists and ideas would be great!

1. Peyton Manning ($18M/year, 3 years, PB)

gamedayritual, like the NFL, is a QB driven game and as your QB situation goes, so does your team (to a great extent). Since you can't run 3 RBs at the same time the focus shifts a bit towards QBs and WR (esecially if you operate passing heavy formations). I like Manning as his completion ratio is huge and can be used in a West Coast or Fun and Gun scheme to maximize his value. I would give him more if injury was not such a huge concern in eating up close to 20% of my salary cap). Also gave him a performance bonus as I don't think it is humanly possible for him to live up to last year's stats.

2. Dante Culpepper ($14M/year, 3 years)

Still young and can do alot on the field, even when he is not on his game. Worried a bit about the loss of Moss but Dante can still run the ball and as such fit really well into any offensive scheme (run, pass or balance oriented). Flexibility and youth is the key here.

3. Ladainian Tomlinson ($12M/year, 3 years)

The premier, undisputed RB out there. This is alot of money and alot of years to offer a RB (NFL teams never pony up this much up for a RB) but my traditional fantasy football insticts still say to me that it is worth paying for a stud RB. He'll also have over 400 yards receiving and as such can work in a Run Heavy or West Coast offensive scheme well. Let's hope he doesn't pull a Terrel Davis or Jamal Anderson halfway through this big contract and end up as a salary cap black hole.

4. Randy Moss ($10M/year, 1 year)

This could be a TOTAL bust pick depending on how Collins and him connect in OAK and as such I am not willing to give him the long term deal (yet). Having said that he can also put up a 1500Y/15TD season as the anchor of my receiving core. With injuries last season a performance bonus is not the way to go --- he will definately improve from 2004.

5. Donovan McNabb ($9M/year, 3 years)

Consistency is an issue, especially depending on how things play out with T.O. This can be frustrating to build a gamedayritual offense around as you really don't know if McNabb is going to be running, passing or doing nothing on a given Sunday. Having said that, he is so talented and can produce numbers in so many different ways that he makes my list.

This is what you would spend on each of these players correct? Because really the market is going to determine the price for each player. I think C-Pep will go for less than 14, and I think payton will go for more than 18. I know it.

Although I'm sure there will be some changes to the football version, here is a good article on one approach/perspective of the FAB for baseball, courtesy of rotochamp1:

http://www.rotochamps.com/article68.html

(Plus I'd like to mitigate his previous GDR experience advantage over us as much as possible before this league starts up :first: )

That's an interesting article. I wonder how players like Kent, Mora, and Matsui were available at such a low cost in the last wave.

Did the other owners not make offers to those players? Or was that just their market value?

Maybe Cam could enlighten me.

That's an interesting article. I wonder how players like Kent, Mora, and Matsui were available at such a low cost in the last wave.

Did the other owners not make offers to those players? Or was that just their market value?

Many Cam could enlighten me.

This is what I think happened.... during the 1st 3 waves owners opened up their check books. By time the last wave came around people didn't have the money to pay thoes players what they were worth.... this in turn dropped market value, and produced some very good bargins.

This is really going to be interesting. With out question it's going to be totally different than a traditional draft.

This is really going to be interesting. With out question it's going to be totally different than a traditional draft.

I cant wait because my team will be doing this :banana: :banana: all season long

Ahhh...too late    :banana:

Sounds really hard-core.

Your #1 on the waiting list now. :rolleyes:

Actually, he can take my spot. I am probably going to be too busy for this.

:banana:

This is going to be fun!

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Ahhh...too late    :blink:

Sounds really hard-core.

Your #1 on the waiting list now. :blink:

Actually, he can take my spot. I am probably going to be too busy for this.

:lol:

Who's better than Shane????? :huh:

Man, the whole playbook thing is going to take some serious research investment. I mean, do you go for a pass-oriented offense and bid high on those players, sacrificing your running game for up to 3 years? Not to mention the stadium design. I mean, one really has to plan for this game. Oh, and IDP - I played that for a couple years, actually liked it, but this game (with its defensive playbook) adds a whole new level to it.

Really looking forward to it - even if it means 3 hours of sleep per nite (I have some major projects due in next 4 weeks)

Oh - and can someone PLEASE answer my private message question? I don't see a link anywhere for "Private Messages". How do I know I got a PM?

We can't use PM's on this site. We can only E-Mail people, and even with that you have to wait 15 minutes inbetween each E-Mail I think. We will have to come up with another way for cam to contact all of us.

Everyone just make sure they have their correct and current email address updated in their forums profile. That way we can make sure to get the word out when the site is ready to roll.

Judging from all the "Topic Subscription" emails I've already gotten on this, I think my email address is up-to-date.

:rolleyes:

Guest camtheleaffan

I'll find you guys as long as you do have your correct emails set up!

Yeah... your right on Peyton, the market will decide and he will likely go higher (I just wouldn't spend more than $18M/3Y on ANY player just in case he got hurt).

As for RBBC --- yes this is exactly how the game works. You can have a single stud RB that runs 90% of your plays (and gets a bit fatigued by the end of the season) or your can go by commitee if you have the depth and keep them more 50/50.

The details of RB fatigue, off/def schemes and weather effects will be detailed in the next version of the User Guide --- we expect to have it released later in the weekend.

And no, don't plan on sleeping!

If possible I would like to get on the waiting list.

I am more of a lurker than a poster, but I am way into Fantasy Football.

Reality is such a bore. :lol:

I reallly like this new twist :banana:

Guest biggtyme13

can i join the waiting list this looks crazy

This absolutely looks incredible. Man, I'll bet you guys will have a blast. I wish I could join, but I'm a graduate student and have absolutely no time anymore during the school year. I've already had to cut back on the number of leagues I'm in. But, in a couple years when I'm done getting educated and all, you better believe I'll be joining.

My email info is correct.

Any of the guys waiting in the wings, you should still be able to play. I would imagine there are public and private league setups to allow maximum participation.

Isn't that correct?

Or is this a ramp-up game design study (less than 1000 users) with plans on a more "public friendly" setup in following seasons.

Not that I mind being a play-tester, but if there are some design tweaks that may come with this season, all parties should be advised. That allows us, the play-testers to be active in consideration of improvements, shortcuts, and other game features to help make this a better product.

Just curious.

I guess I should download the rulebook, but for general purposes:

Does your game service provide the process of "League Commissioner" in settling questions and disputs or does each mini-league have its own management council?

thanks

Guest TheCheat
Man, the whole playbook thing is going to take some serious research investment.  I mean, do you go for a pass-oriented offense and bid high on those players, sacrificing your running game for up to 3 years?  Not to mention the stadium design.  I mean, one really has to plan for this game.  Oh, and IDP - I played that for a couple years, actually liked it, but this game (with its defensive playbook) adds a whole new level to it.

Really looking forward to it - even if it means 3 hours of sleep per nite (I have some major projects due in next 4 weeks)

What he said.

Cam, it's the middle of July and you've got me thinking about punters, for fock's sake! For that alone, you gdr folks are probably going to heaven or hell, though I can't say with any confidence which one yet. :pointstosky:

Are we there yet?

What he said.

The more I re-read the preliminary user's guide and try to get my head around the subtleties of the formation choices, etc., the more jacked I get about this. I might be the most enthusiastic prospective owner/gm/coach of a sub-.500 club ever, but I expect to learn a ton and have some big, big fun w/ this.

I cant wait because my team will be doing this  ;)  ;)   all season long

Is :pointstosky: :pointstosky: some sort of THM code for "losing to Cheat's team in two leagues"? 'Cuz you're the only person here I'm sure I'm gonna whup up on. :pointstosky: :pointstosky:

(Oh, and my profile e-mail address is up-to-date.)

Since we get to design our franchises' stadiums, I was also thinking it'd be cool to base our franchises where we're from (unless everyone lives on the east coast or something), choose weather factors accordingly, and see if the divisions don't take on their own characters. Anyway, just a thought.

What were people's thoughts on this?

I'm from Northern Virginia and have no qualms about trying to base the stadium location near me.

Next question is...are we getting our own little forum area here for the league?

Do we need to pay for our entry before the email comes out or should we wait for the formal invitation?

No more questions now... :thumbsup:

Guest TheCheat
Since we get to design our franchises' stadiums, I was also thinking it'd be cool to base our franchises where we're from (unless everyone lives on the east coast or something), choose weather factors accordingly, and see if the divisions don't take on their own characters.  Anyway, just a thought.

What were people's thoughts on this?

I'm from Northern Virginia and have no qualms about trying to base the stadium location near me.

Next question is...are we getting our own little forum area here for the league?

Do we need to pay for our entry before the email comes out or should we wait for the formal invitation?

No more questions now... :thumbsup:

1. Tremendous idea! :cry: Whoever thought *that* up s/b rewarded w/ cash. (Seriously, I do wonder what folks think.)

2. I believe one of the Mikes already said yes, it'd be no problem. (Dunno when tho.)

3. If gdr uses paypal, Cam, I can send off my payment today (or whenever), just let us know.

I'm in for the local franchise thing. Nashville,TN here.

I don't think we can purchase our teams yet. I hope it's pretty soon. It looks like this needs a lot more prep time then usual to prepare before the start of the season. I'd like to get this going ASAP. I of course already have a strategy in mind for the blitz portion. But the gameplan and coaching end is going to take some time to figure out.

Cam,

I know this is asking a lot from you, and I'm speaking for myself here (don't know if the other owners would agree or not), but I'd love the ability to run an FAB "practice" session, then have the data wiped before we do it for real.

Or is this a ramp-up game design study (less than 1000 users) with plans on a more "public friendly" setup in following seasons.

Not that I mind being a play-tester, but if there are some design tweaks that may come with this season, all parties should be advised. That allows us, the play-testers to be active in consideration of improvements, shortcuts, and other game features to help make this a better product.

This makes a lot of sense, like to know your thoughts on that.

Cam,

I know this is asking a lot from you, and I'm speaking for myself here (don't know if the other owners would agree or not), but I'd love the ability to run an FAB "practice" session, then have the data wiped before we do it for real.

A mock FAB was suggested by Mike on the first page -- Cam's response:

I will see what I am able to do in terms of a mock.  Maybe we can do a mini one or two wave version (around 192 players signed) so you guys can get your feet wet (and chat it up!), then I can reset and do the real thing.

How does that sound? (I still need to investigate the technicalities a bit but I think it could be doable).

I for one would definitely be in favor of this. :wall:

Or atleast 1 mini round, just something to get our feet wet. If not then I'll win because I know I will pick up and adjust really quick. I'm Like the 1 man front office verison of the patriots :thumbsup:

Hey Mike,

Can you go ahead and set up the GamedayRitual board? There are enough owners, and I think we'd like to start chatting amongst ourselves.

Hard to keep track of this thread when it falls off the first page in a few hours.

Thanks!

I finally read through the entire user manual today, and I am stoked about this it's going to be a blast. I have one question though. What happens if you sign a player to a 2 or 3 year contract and they retire after this year?

Also, are we doing the locale thing? I recently moved to MI, but being a die-hard Bills fan I would want to represent that area.

What are we doing for team names? Would it be out actual favorite teams? As in Buffalo Bills for me. Or just the city/area? As in Buffalo All-Moons. Or, anything we chose? Just curious...

Hey Mike,

Can you go ahead and set up the GamedayRitual board? There are enough owners, and I think we'd like to start chatting amongst ourselves.

Hard to keep track of this thread when it falls off the first page in a few hours.

Thanks!

:thumbsup:

Guest camtheleaffan

Sweet guys! I really wish that I could get in on this league too --- looks like a gang of serious hardcores! (Maybe I'll slip in under an alias :thumbsup: ).

As for your questions, I will try to answer them all but if I miss any please lemme know and I'll get right back to you:

1. Forget the waiting list --- we can fire up another league and I will try to get it set up that it can do a one or two wave (i.e. 2 or 3 day) mini-mock as well. This is not normal protocol (i.e. it is technically tricky for us) but the discussion has been so solid that I would like to oblige.

2. The Kent, Mora, and Matsui question was answered correctly --- the market was super-heated in that league in the early portion (players were overpaid) and it resulted in some late steals. Funny thing is, it can happen the other way too -- the league is too conservative in the beginning and the insane contracts come out at the end.

3. $18M/3yr is about standard for a kicker. :first:

4. Yes, there are both Public and Private leagues (of which this will be one) as well as pseudo-Private leagues that you can set up with your friends and then post in our League Classifieds system to fill the remaining spots.

5. This is not a ramp-up version -- we sorta did that a bit with the baseball version (i.e. we capped the number of leagues). Having said that we have found that the best way for us to improve and innovate the game is to have solid dialogue with our users and consider their ideas very seriously. Based on the feedback we have have in the baseball version we have a pretty kick-butt upgrade plan in place for next season. We plan to do the exact same thing for football.

6. Dispute resolutions is covered in the "Fair Play" section of the User Guide. In short --- if there is any suspect bevavior that is voiced by a user to our staff we will investigate, solicit feedback from the league and offer a binding decision. there is no mechanism for a league mini-council per se.

7. Don't worry about the entry fees yet -- the whole payment system will be up on the site (hopefully) next week (we are upgrading our servers right now).

8. When you do sign up you will right away be able to create your stadium and plan your team using the Team Planner interface in the Free Agency Blitz (FAB) section. FABs can be launched shortly thereafter.

9. If you sign a player for a multi-year deal and he retires he gets to keep the signing bonus (50% of remaining contract) but you get back the rest. Enter Ricky Williams joke here.....

10. You can name your team anything you choose (from a technical standpoint). If is up to you guys what you want to do from there.

And for the league lists:

FFToday League #1:

1. Mike MacGregor

2. Theyhateme459

3. Tankslap

4. rexnervous

5. TheCheat

6. Grigs Allmoon

7. SteveMy

8. Tough Guy

9. Wildman

10. bryce_paradyce

11. Dan Sez

12. stoops22

13. Antonio Gates' Gate

14. Blitzen

15. SmoovJello

16. rotochamp1

FFToday League #2:

1. Chemboy

2. biggtyme13

(Feel free to cut and paste and add your name to the list if I missed you or if you want to be added).

I feel like a little girl on her birthday that I'm in the first league.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And what's worse, I'm paying for this.

Cam - looking forward to this, I hope you stay involved in the message boards or wahtever once the season starts.

Guest biggtyme13

Cmon guys lets fill up league 2 If not the Saratoga Thorobreads will be looking up at those udder 16 waiting for someone to not join :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

When you inject a player into the FAB, do you have to place the opening bid? I can think of situations where I may want to add a player to the market, but not have any real interest in him myself.

When you inject a player into the FAB, do you have to place the opening bid? I can think of situations where I may want to add a player to the market, but not have any real interest in him myself.

YEs you do. When you put a player on the market you put him on with an opening bid. I'm sure that I'm correct on this.