Sign in to follow this  
Autumn Wind

[FOOTBALL] Rule Change Thread

**Only returning owners from last season will have their votes counted. Once voting is complete, we will move on to the next topic.**

Rule Change #1 - Per a previous vote, each owner shall draft one NFL team instead of two.

Topic #2 - What style of draft should we have?

Here are your three choices:

1-Have a draft just like last year's, but tack on a supplemental draft at the end where you can draft anyone. (8 votes)

2-Employ a draft with wild card spots, that can be used to pick any player from any team. How many wild cards and when you can use them is up in the air.

3-Employ a draft with wild card spots, that can be used to pick any player from any team. However, each team submits a list of exclusive players that cannot be touched no matter what. (4 votes)

Thin Spirit - 1

T-Town Ballers

Rae Carruth's Cell Mate - 3

cdub100 - 3

BlackClouds - 1

GuardBum - 1

yanko - 3

Scooter1027 - 1

Autumn Wind - 1

cmh6476 - 3

laxboy - abstains

drobeski - 1

edjr - 1

JasperisOK

ozzie1/zombie - 1

Edited by cmh6476

UNO

I'm thinking #1. Can someone who is for #3 explain where the exclusives would come from? For instance, I can draft Randy Moss this year as a Raiders owner. Can I take him as an exclusive, even though he was owned by someone else last year? Or can I only mark as exclusives players who have only played for Oakland?

Only players played for Oakland

Moss is the reason we draft

Having a supplemental is the reason you get a chance to get Ward... since your own exclusive WR aren't very deep

for instance...

Only players played for Oakland

Moss is the reason we draft

Having a supplemental is the reason you get a chance to get Ward... since your own exclusive WR aren't very deep

for instance...

I don't understand why everyone is choosing #1 when many I thought expressed interest in wild card picks (i.e. options #2 and #3). Option #1 is like how we do it in GHB league which isn't going to work that well in GHF. There was a good reason we didn't use that format last year and that was because we had less exclusives and eligible non-exclusives to draft (football vs. baseball). By opting for just 1 TEAM this year we have even less exclusives to draft not counting the off season player movement. Granted we didn't have a supp draft last year but really how is 4 rounds or greater going to help most teams? I doubt anybody will be drafting IDP, K or TEs in the supp draft unless they are already the front runners and even that would be stupid. So that'll leave everyone with multiple holes at QB, RB, WR all vying for the same exact players. At least in GHB there was more positions you had to start and thus different needs going into the supp draft. Just think how the GHB supp draft would have been if everyone needed 1B, 2B and SS and nothing else? I can assure you getting a top pick in this format would be paramount.

ETA:

In Summary, the four problems we face if we are going to mimic a system like the GHB (i.e. option #1) are:

1.) less exclusives and eligible players to draft (only 1 team this year). The first draft will mostly consist of drafting IDP players since few will have multiple starting QBs, RBs, WRs to select from.

2.) less valuable positions to fill (compared to GHB) thus creating a higher demand on fewer players and positions.

3.) supp draft becomes too important because not enough eligible talent (that's worth anything) will be available in the first draft. A top pick in the supp draft will be vital.

4.) this one I just added is really just a matter of convenience. Having two drafts especially one as boring as the 1st draft will be, will make it harder to keep owners active during the total draft process.

I'm thinking #1.  Can someone who is for #3 explain where the exclusives would come from?  For instance, I can draft Randy Moss this year as a Raiders owner.  Can I take him as an exclusive, even though he was owned by someone else last year?  Or can I only mark as exclusives players who have only played for Oakland?

You could list Jerry Porter, Curry, etc. Only guys that have only played for the raiders. You couldn't select Moss cause RCCM would be able to draft him as well. All designating someone as an exclusive would do is protect those players from being selected as a wild crad pick.

Say I don't designate a guy like Joe Horn (just an example.) If we allow wild crads say after the 5th round, and no one has drafted Horn yet that is eligible to, since he was not designated as exclusive anyone who wanted to draft him at that time as their wild card for that round would then be allowed to. Designating exclusives protects guyys like Tony Gonzalez, Samie Parker, larry Johnson, etc. :o

(guys that have play6ed for my team and my team only)

I'd propose allowing everyone the opportunity to designate 5 exclusives and then everyone could get 4 wild cards they can use say after Round 5!

I'd propose allowing everyone the opportunity to designate 5 exclusives and then everyone could get 4 wild cards they can use say after Round 5!

I'm also becoming very fond of this idea, the more I think about it. The benefit of this way is this:

Say you represent a team that has crappy receivers. So you are not focked the entire season with sh!t for receivers, the wild card allows you to find a value at a position where you might otherwise be lacking in talent :o

I've been doing too much thinking! :cheers:

But if we allow wild cards in say the 6th round, there are going to be a lot of high caliber players from non-represented teams going in the 6th round!

So, since we do 1st to last, then last to first in the 2nd, flip-flopping every round...

We should make the 6th round (or whicever is the first to allow wild cards) go from reverse order of the 1st round? That way some teams will be able to get earlier picks from their own team, then the people picking last in the first round will have an early pick out of all the leftover teams :shocking:

what do you guys think?

1st - 1st to last

2nd - last to 1st

3rd - 1st to last

4th - last to first

5th - first to last

6th - last to first

Actually, this would work out pretty good like that cause we'd already be going in that order!@ :thumbsdown:

I've been doing too much thinking! :banana:

But if we allow wild cards in say the 6th round, there are going to be a lot of high caliber players from non-represented teams going in the 6th round!

So, since we do 1st to last, then last to first in the 2nd, flip-flopping every round...

We should make the 6th round (or whicever is the first to allow wild cards) go from reverse order of the 1st round?  That way some teams will be able to get earlier picks from their own team, then the people picking last in the first round will have an early pick out of all the leftover teams  :cheers:

what do you guys think?

1st - 1st to last

2nd - last to 1st

3rd - 1st to last

4th - last to first

5th - first to last

6th - last to first

Actually, this would work out pretty good like that cause we'd already be going in that order!@  :doublethumbsup:

Perhaps you should first concentration your thinking on how to get more votes for the wild card idea before exploring ways to optimize it. It would seem the majority isn't on board with the idea yet. Sadly, I don't think people are thinking about it too much. Option #1 doesn't offer a clear upgrade from what we had last year given the fact we only have 1 team this year.

btw, I agree with you regarding the order and such.

,Jul 18 2005, 06:47 AM] 1.

:bench: :doublethumbsup: B)

I barely have 5 exclusives worth designating. I don't see how any of the options are going to help the Titans compete on par with the Rams for instance

I barely have 5 exclusives worth designating. I don't see how any of the options are going to help the Titans compete on par with the Rams for instance

McNair/ Volek

Brown

Bennett

Henry (if Bills arent represented)

I'm sure you could think of one defensive player worth designating...

The point of designating said exclusives isn't to load your team with powerhouses. it's to protect those 5 or so players from being selected by anyone at anytime. It's just trying to keep the same principle of the league, where the thought is to conjur up a team based on past and present Titans!

I barely have 5 exclusives worth designating.  I don't see how any of the options are going to help the Titans compete on par with the Rams for instance

McNair/ Volek

Brown

Bennett

The point of designating said exclusives isn't to load your team with powerhouses. it's to protect those 5 or so players from being selected by anyone at anytime. It's just trying to keep the same principle of the league, where the thought is to conjur up a team based on past and present Titans!

also on that note, with your wildcards...

If we have 18 teams represented, there are 14 team not reprsented! So, everyone should at least get a solid player from their wild crards in the 6th round. If you suck at receiver, there should be a receiver out there from a team that is not represented you would be able to select in the 6th round...

possibly the last word from me... :huh:

I also like having basically the supplemental earlier (like in the 6th round in the proposal I'm supporting as opposed to after the actual draft). Because, there still might be guys out there other homers could still draft, and the talent level still could be very high on your 4 or so outside players you can take. having the supplemantal afterwards will really diminish the talent pool and will make the talent at the positions where you are hurting not quite as good as it would be if we did it as proposal 3 suggests...

I barely have 5 exclusives worth designating.  I don't see how any of the options are going to help the Titans compete on par with the Rams for instance

McNair/ Volek

Brown

Bennett

also on that note, with your wildcards...

If we have 18 teams represented, there are 14 team not reprsented! So, everyone should at least get a solid player from their wild crards in the 6th round. If you suck at receiver, there should be a receiver out there from a team that is not represented you would be able to select in the 6th round...

Wild cards would be useful if each of us was taking two teams. But since we're not, I don't think they're all that necessary.

McNair/ Volek

Brown

Bennett

I'm still not sure how doing anything but a supplemental does that.

Yes it gets me into the running earlier, but I may only have 1 or 2 "exclusive" that would even be drafted before round...10? Can we honestly compare that with, lets use the team I said earlier, the Rams

Jackson, Holt, Bruce, Archuletta, Wilkins, Bulger (if edjr switches teams)

Having to know which players, on every team, played for what teams, ranking them and then only being able to draft them as a wildcard after a certain point or everyso often seems like a hell of a lot of work.

Having to know which players, on every team, played for what teams, ranking them and then only being able to draft them as a wildcard after a certain point or everyso often seems like a hell of a lot of work.

You really don't have to know which players played for every team. You just have to know who your guys have played for. All of the draft will remain you picking guys that have played for your team. Every round.

The only difference is that after round 5, you can take any player from any team. No questions asked. You would get 4 times then throughout the draft that you would be able to use this option.

All designating an exclusive would do is protect your players that only you can have from someone else in the league using one of their wild card selections on that player!

Also, No matter how we do it, the Rams will almost always have an advantage over the Titans. HTH :pointstosky:

I guess I just see it as more work.

I've never done an online draft that wasn't live outside of the homers Keeping track of my limited number of eligibles is easy. Now ranking and keeping track of everyone as they sporatically go off the board...

Doesn't matter to me. I'm easy (ask my wife) :ph34r:

1 :ph34r:

:D

I win, I win.

Wild cards would be useful if each of us was taking two teams.  But since we're not, I don't think they're all that necessary.

It'll be harder to field a complete team then last year when we had two whole teams full of exclusives to work with. This year everyone will have more holes and less bodies to fill them with. Unless you plan on having a LONG supp draft option #1 will be worse than what we had last year, IMO.

:rolleyes:

Wild cards would be useful if each of us was taking two teams.  But since we're not, I don't think they're all that necessary.

It'll be harder to field a complete team then last year when we had two whole teams full of exclusives to work with. This year everyone will have more holes and less bodies to fill them with. Unless you plan on having a LONG supp draft option #1 will be worse than what we had last year, IMO.

:rolleyes:

People will have to actually trade? :mad:

:o

true, but we're not going to win :thumbsup:

Staying the same as last year will be better IMO than option 1. My exclusives will bebetter if we stay with the same teams. I think a lot of you guys are going to fugg yourselves and aren't really realizing it!

:o

true, but we're not going to win :thumbsup:

Staying the same as last year will be better IMO than option 1. My exclusives will bebetter if we stay with the same teams. I think a lot of you guys are going to fugg yourselves and aren't really realizing it!

:ph34r:

:lol:

true, but we're not going to win :lol:

I got stuck with Atlanta and San Diego last year, my team was pathetic. You think I'd be better off with those 2, than being able to hand pick my own 2nd team?

I got stuck with Atlanta and San Diego last year, my team was pathetic. You think I'd be better off with those 2, than being able to hand pick my own 2nd team?

how many rounds of a supplemental does everone think we are going to have? :(

I don't think I understand the point of having wildcard picks if each team gets the opportunity to save their good players by having an exclusive list. How many teams are actually stacked enough to where they'd have to worry about their exclusives being taken? I know I'd only really have to designate 3 players to be safe and if anyone wants to waste a pick on my other scrubs, have at it. Also, what remaining teams are unmanaged in case choice #1 wins and we have a supplemental draft?

I don't think I understand the point of having wildcard picks if each team gets the opportunity to save their good players by having an exclusive list. How many teams are actually stacked enough to where they'd have to worry about their exclusives being taken? I know I'd only really have to designate 3 players to be safe and if anyone wants to waste a pick on my other scrubs, have at it. Also, what remaining teams are unmanaged in case choice #1 wins and we have a supplemental draft?

The point of the wild cards isn't to save players you protect. There are over 10 teams available that are not represented. there are going to be some solid NFL players ont he waiver wire. using the wild cards makes use of those players. The other targets will be players that have played for multiple teams still around in those later rounds :pointstosky:

Also, what remaining teams are unmanaged in case choice #1 wins and we have a supplemental draft?

just off the top of my head...

Broncos

Browns

Steelers

Dolphins

Jets

Jaguars

Texans

Cowboys

Eagles

Bears

Saints

Bucs

Cards

9ers

friggin TO will be available in a supplemental draft ;)

3 but the whole idea still blows

i wouldn't have changed it, at all, from last year.

if i can make it as far as i did with the ravens/bucs...it's a competitive league.

;)