Sign in to follow this  
El Barton

Invisible Fence

We just got a new dog over the weekend (9 mos old about 35lbs) and we are looking at installing an invisible fence (ourselves). Anyone ever done this? Is there a significant difference in the brands? How hard is it (Just dig a trench lay the wire and connect to the main unit)? Is there a certain amount of run at the ends of the wires where the signal doesn't set off the collar(allowing the dog to pass the transmitter without being zapped)?

I didn't read your post but the answer is

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO NO NO NO NO NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We hired someone to install ours, but it's not that hard. I had to rerun several parts of the fence myself due to landscaping changes we made, I did it with a spade. The guy that did the original install used a ditch witch, pretty easy.

The guy that did the original install used a ditch witch, pretty easy.

He brought his wife along on the job? :cry:

I didn't read your post but the answer is

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO NO NO NO NO NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You didn't read my post, but you are responding no...are you just blanketly rejecting the whole invisible fence idea?

You didn't read my post, but you are responding no...are you just blanketly rejecting the whole invisible fence idea?

YES

YES

YES

YES

YES

Every time that dog yelps when he gets zapped, just imagine peeing on an electric fence. Or better yet, go pee on an electric fence to be even.

YES

YES

YES

YES

YES

Every time that dog yelps when he gets zapped, just imagine peeing on an electric fense. Or better yet, go pee on an electric fence to be even.

Don't whiz on the electric fence

I might be easier if you outfit your dog with a device similar to an automobile boot. That dog won't be going anywhere.

You can do what we did. Went to city hall and got a permit to build and 8' privacy fence. That way you dont have to see your neighbors and you won't have their brats running through your yard.

You can do what we did. Went to city hall and got a permit to build and 8' privacy fence. That way you dont have to see your neighbors and you won't have their brats running through your yard.

:bench:

Good fences make good neighbors

We just got a new dog over the weekend (9 mos old about 35lbs) and we are looking at installing an invisible fence (ourselves). Anyone ever done this? Is there a significant difference in the brands? How hard is it (Just dig a trench lay the wire and connect to the main unit)? Is there a certain amount of run at the ends of the wires where the signal doesn't set off the collar(allowing the dog to pass the transmitter without being zapped)?

They have one now that is remote. You put a collar on the dog, and plug in a unit in the house. You can adjust the size of the area they can travel without getting zapped. Much easier than digging a trench.

Just to be clear... I was against the invisible fence for our doggie, but evil mona insisted.

I said that I wouldn't put it on the dog without first testing it on myself... both for the incredible hilarity I expected and to see just how much "zap" is in the zap.

So, I strapped it to my neck. :shocking: ...and I turned on the unit. It was like someone set my entire head on fire.

So, if you're okay with tazing your dog as a training method, go for it.

Take the dog back. If you don't have the time or willingness to do some basic training properly and humanely, he's better off taking his chances with someone else.

YES

YES

YES

YES

YES

Every time that dog yelps when he gets zapped, just imagine peeing on an electric fence. Or better yet, go pee on an electric fence to be even.

Unless that dog has little bit of Recliner Pilot in it, it'll only happen a few times until he trains himself.

Unless that dog has little bit of Recliner Pilot in it, it'll only happen a few times until he trains himself.

And if he has a little Recliner Pilot in him he will be smart enough to take the collar off and go wherever the fukk he wants. :music_guitarred: