Sign in to follow this  
SUXBNME

Authors

I know most of you monkeys are illeterite (yes I spelled that wrong on purpose), but for the few of you who aren't, name me some of your favorite authors and / or books.

Some of mine:

Robert Ludlum

James Patterson

Rick Rielly

Jackie Collins :first:

Koontz

Ken Goddard

Don Delillo

William Faulkner

Thomas Pynchon

David Mitchell

Toni Morrison

Gabriel Garcia Marquez

George Orwell

Brett Easton Ellis

Supervert

Dostoevsky

Here are some of my favorite works (in no particular order)...

1. Slaughter-House 5 by Kurt Vonnegut

If I had to pick my favorite book, this would probably be it. It's one of those books that is impossible to explain to others when they ask "What's it about???" "Well...it's about World War II, aliens, time-travel, multiple dimensions, fate..." It makes no sense to explain it, but it's a GREAT read...

2. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Probably the most convoluted thing I've ever read. There's not a whole lot going on with the plot...it's more character-driven. However, many of my favorite literary characters are from this book, especially in terms of minor characters (i.e. Major Major Major Major, Dunbar, Aarfy, Hungry Joe, Chief White Halfoat, Major ___ de Coverlay, etc.). VERY funny stuff...

3. The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka

About a guy who wakes up one morning to realize he's been turned (inexplicably) into a giant bug. If you can get past Kafka's weird (and sometimes dull) style, then there's a lot to think about in this book...

4. Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis

Probably the funniest book I've ever read from start-to-finish. Sadly, lots of people have never heard of it before. The scene in which the main character (Jim) gives a presentation of his academic paper had me crying with laughter...

5. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

Very well-written. Really pulls you in and makes you empathize with the characters. I mean...the name of the book is In Cold Blood, the first section is titled "The Last People to See Them Alive" so you know that they're going to die; but Capote writes in such a way that you're always hoping that somehow they'll escape death at the last minute...

6. Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome

Another VERY funny book that nobody's read. It's sorta episodic in terms of plot but has some genuinely humorous dialogue and moments...

7. The Stranger by Albert Camus

Slow and Depressing (with a capital "D") but will make you think...

8. The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot

I thought that I'd hate this book but actually ended up really liking it. Eliot's writing style has a contemporary feel to it and her characters seem very life-like...

9. Tom Jones by Henry Fielding

It's a little too long and the ending is a bit cliche; however, overall, I got hooked into the characters pretty easily, and it's another one that is VERY funny...

10. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Lots of social commentary at work here and one of the best endings I've ever read...

There are more that I could list but these were just some of the ones off the top of my head...

montaigne - essays

james joyce - the dead

goethe - the sorrows of young werther - elective affinities

oscar wilde - the picture of dorien gray

gustave flaubert - a sentimental education

tolstoy - anna karina

kafka - the trial

balzac - wild ass's skin

homer - the odyssey

holderlin - fragments

boethius - the consolation of philosophy

john kennedy toole - a confederacy of dunces

rilke - the notebooks of malte laurids brigge

delillo - white noise

bellow - herzog

saramango - blindness

Whoever wrote "Proper inflation of tires." :wub:

Your humor overwhelms me at times :thumbsdown:

Ted Dekker

He is the current king of Christian suspense novels. You may have heard of Frank Peretti, Ted is what Frank used to be.

Whoever wrote "Proper inflation of tires." :wub:

This should be right up your alley. :thumbsdown:

George R.R. Martin

Simon R. Green

Harry Harrison

Glen Cook

Robert Jordan

John Ringo

Frank Herbert

Orson Scott Card

Steven Erikson

Leonard B. Scott

Terry Goodkind

David Eddings

Here are some of my favorite works (in no particular order)...

1. Slaughter-House 5 by Kurt Vonnegut

If I had to pick my favorite book, this would probably be it. It's one of those books that is impossible to explain to others when they ask "What's it about???" "Well...it's about World War II, aliens, time-travel, multiple dimensions, fate..." It makes no sense to explain it, but it's a GREAT read...

2. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Probably the most convoluted thing I've ever read. There's not a whole lot going on with the plot...it's more character-driven. However, many of my favorite literary characters are from this book, especially in terms of minor characters (i.e. Major Major Major Major, Dunbar, Aarfy, Hungry Joe, Chief White Halfoat, Major ___ de Coverlay, etc.). VERY funny stuff...

3. The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka

About a guy who wakes up one morning to realize he's been turned (inexplicably) into a giant bug. If you can get past Kafka's weird (and sometimes dull) style, then there's a lot to think about in this book...

4. Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis

Probably the funniest book I've ever read from start-to-finish. Sadly, lots of people have never heard of it before. The scene in which the main character (Jim) gives a presentation of his academic paper had me crying with laughter...

5. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

Very well-written. Really pulls you in and makes you empathize with the characters. I mean...the name of the book is In Cold Blood, the first section is titled "The Last People to See Them Alive" so you know that they're going to die; but Capote writes in such a way that you're always hoping that somehow they'll escape death at the last minute...

6. Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome

Another VERY funny book that nobody's read. It's sorta episodic in terms of plot but has some genuinely humorous dialogue and moments...

7. The Stranger by Albert Camus

Slow and Depressing (with a capital "D") but will make you think...

8. The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot

I thought that I'd hate this book but actually ended up really liking it. Eliot's writing style has a contemporary feel to it and her characters seem very life-like...

9. Tom Jones by Henry Fielding

It's a little too long and the ending is a bit cliche; however, overall, I got hooked into the characters pretty easily, and it's another one that is VERY funny...

10. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Lots of social commentary at work here and one of the best endings I've ever read...

There are more that I could list but these were just some of the ones off the top of my head...

Started reading your post and wondered for a second if I'd responded to this thread already. Haven't read 'The Mill On The Floss' yet, but will have to based on our eerily similar tastes. A couple other classics that I consider must reads:

This Side Of Paradise : F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Picture Of Dorian Grey : Oscar Wilde

Crime & Punishment : Dostoyevsky

Animal Farm : George Orwell

The Catcher In The Rye : JD Salinger (guess if you're only going to have one published novel, you might as well do it right)

And don't forget Mark Twain. "Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" is as well written as anything that's ever been committed to paper.

Started reading your post and wondered for a second if I'd responded to this thread already. Haven't read 'The Mill On The Floss' yet, but will have to based on our eerily similar tastes. A couple other classics that I consider must reads:

This Side Of Paradise : F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Picture Of Dorian Grey : Oscar Wilde

Crime & Punishment : Dostoyevsky

Animal Farm : George Orwell

The Catcher In The Rye : JD Salinger (guess if you're only going to have one published novel, you might as well do it right)

And don't forget Mark Twain. "Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" is as well written as anything that's ever been committed to paper.

You may want to browse The Mill on the Floss before you buy it or anything. Like I said, I totally wasn't expecting to like it (since it's nothing like the stuff that I typically read & enjoy), but for some unexplainable reason, I found myself liking it...dunno...

Also, there's another Salinger book that's supposed to be really good. It's called Franny and Zooey. I haven't read that one or Catcher in the Rye (I think I'm the only person who hasn't read that). However, a friend of mine who reads alot has read both and actually thinks that Franny and Zooey is a little bit better overall...

John Steinbeck: For storytelling and especially character development.

George Orwell: Admire how he thought, not what (disagree a bit there), but how he wanted to understand, wanted to know all the angles to an issue. Outside of that, simply a great writer, expressive and entertaining.

John Bunyan: For writing Pilgrim's Progress, allegorical and extremely valuable representation of what's encountered on the journey to salvation.

James Joyce: Discovered him as the TDZ lit forum read one of his books, descriptive, captivating insight.

Fyodor Dostoyevsky: Same as with Steinbeck and Orwell together.

Mona Simpson: Describes mood well, never goes completely into characters on the surface, you have to figure them out based on their actions. No real message, just telling an entertaining story.

Carmen Bin Laden: Specifically for writing an autobiographical account of her time in Saudi Arabia as a sister in law of Osama Bin Laden; that was revealing enough to threaten her life, and at the same time just interesting in a really down to earth way.

mark twain, faulkner (short stories), hemingway (short stories--especially nick adams stories), jim harrison, annie dillard, joan didion, ray bradbury, pat conroy, flannery oconnor, richard selzer, john mcphee, scott russell sanders, eb white (essays), james baldwin, ee cummings...lots more.

Steven Erikson

Interesting. He's a former mentor of mine. Very cool guy. Very laid back.

faulkner (short stories)

His novels are a gazillion times better than his short stories.

Also I'm surprised at how many people here read literary fiction. That's pretty cool.

I don't know if I have any favoite authors right now. Just when I get to liking an author, they get old with their writing styles.

I used to love Stephen King when I was in High School, but I ended up thinking he started to suck as he entered the 90's.

I used to love Grisham, but he stuff got to boring and predictable.

James Patterson was a favorite for a bit, but you can just write so many "this is the most brilliant killer ever" novels before you are just rolling your eyes.

I also like Michael Crighton, but Prey was God awful. I have his latest one on my on deck circle.

Interesting. He's a former mentor of mine. Very cool guy. Very laid back.

His novels are a gazillion times better than his short stories.

Also I'm surprised at how many people here read literary fiction. That's pretty cool.

His Malazan books are pretty freakin great. Somewhat complicated if you don't pay attention, but great.

Garry Jennings

Mark Twain

Edward Abbey

John Steinbeck

Kurt Vonnegut

Hunter Thompson

Carlos Casteneda

Jack Kerouac

Steven King

Tom Robbins

Jon Krakauer

There's more.

Carlos Casteneda

This man had a profound influence on my teenage acid trips. :banana:

Ed McBain

Lawrence Sanders

Douglas Adams

Terry Pratchett - some really good stuff coming from this guy. While everyone has heard of Douglas Adams and this Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series of books and movie and TV series, Terry Pratchett's Discworld series is 10 times more creative and the subtle humor is much, much funnier. By the 3rd or 4th book, he found a rhythm, and the rest of the books are very enjoyable. He was the bestselling author in Great Britain until Harry Potter came along.